Woll

Difference Between Bluej & Greenfoot

Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:19 pm

I've just installed the new Jessie Raspbian on to my old Raspberry Model B, which I'm planning on using for projects.

I was just wondering what is the difference between the Bluej Java IDE & the Greenfoot Java IDE?

I like the updated Raspbian thou. It's looking better. I like the time setting update, hopefully it will reset itself automatically between GMT & BST. I'll wait until any bugs are ironed out before updating my main Raspberry 2Bs. ;)

PS I like Linux better than Windows. :lol:
Who ate all the Pi's? Who ate all the Pi's?
Boris Johnson, Boris Johnson,
Who ate all the Pi's?

xranby

Re: Difference Between Bluej & Greenfoot

Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:03 am

BlueJ is the editor, BlueJ allows you to work with Objects and create any java application.
BlueJ allow you run code by instantiating objects by launching a class by using its public constructor.
A BlueJ application do not need to have a "main" method.

while

Greenfoot builds a framework around the BlueJ editor.
Greenfoot allows you to by point and click open a screen set a background and populate a world by adding objects to the world.
Greenfoot comes with an API that allows you for example to easily extand and update object in this world to become say a dolphin that swims around in the world by only having you to add a a handful lines of code to the dolphin class that tells what the dolphin should do when it receive an update.
Xerxes Rånby @xranby I once had two, then I gave one away. Now both are in use every day!
twitter.com/xranby

Woll

Re: Difference Between Bluej & Greenfoot

Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:58 am

Thanks for the reply.
I think Java is a bit over my head at the moment.
Hopefully MagPi will have some basic code now it's supplied with Raspbian.
Who ate all the Pi's? Who ate all the Pi's?
Boris Johnson, Boris Johnson,
Who ate all the Pi's?

Return to “Java”