sekil

Re: Processing 3 is running for the first time on a Raspberr

Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:17 am

xranby wrote: If you are only interested in running OpenGL ES 2 applications then continue use the default OpenGL ES 2 driver shipped with Raspbian.
If you are interested in running OpenGL 2 applications then do continue to test the new driver.
Thanks for the answer.

i'm use pi1.
And use vc4 driver slow down all system work - system boot very slow - slow load modules, slow load scripts, slow read/write to sd card - as if the CPU frequency ~ 100mhz . With this i'm cant use system normal. with 3d test in X11 i'm have max 5-7 fps and 100% cpu load..
cma=5m removes these problems.

Maybe pi2 dont have this problem - i dont know.. i'm try compare configs....

xranby

Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:51 am

sekil wrote:
xranby wrote: If you are only interested in running OpenGL ES 2 applications then continue use the default OpenGL ES 2 driver shipped with Raspbian.
If you are interested in running OpenGL 2 applications then do continue to test the new driver.
Thanks for the answer.

i'm use pi1.
And use vc4 driver slow down all system work - system boot very slow - slow load modules, slow load scripts, slow read/write to sd card - as if the CPU frequency ~ 100mhz . With this i'm cant use system normal. with 3d test in X11 i'm have max 5-7 fps and 100% cpu load..
cma=5m removes these problems.

Maybe pi2 dont have this problem - i dont know.. i'm try compare configs....
The Pi2 have much more RAM 1Gb compared to the Pi1 256Mb - 512 Mb
The system will be slow if it is low on free RAM.
Happy to hear that by reducing the CMA area used to send messages between the CPU and the GPU makes the driver faster on the Pi1!

The Pi2 also have four CPU's compared to the Pi1's single core CPU.
On the Pi2 the driver runs on one of the space and available CPU cores.
The performance penalty you see having the main CPU compiling code to be processed on the GPU is much more serve on the Pi1 compared to the Pi2 because the Pi1 only have one CPU.
The Broadcom OpenGL ES 2 driver runs much of the OpenGL ES 2 shader compilation on the GPU itself something we cant do yet with the new Mesa3D OpenGL 2 vc4 driver.
Xerxes Rånby @xranby I once had two, then I gave one away. Now both are in use every day!
twitter.com/xranby

sekil

Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:30 am

xranby wrote: The Pi2 have much more RAM 1Gb compared to the Pi1 256Mb - 512 Mb
The system will be slow if it is low on ram.
Happy to hear that by reducing the CMA area used to send messages between the CPU and the GPU makes the driver faster on the Pi1!

The Pi2 also have four CPU's compared to the Pi1's single core CPU.
On the Pi2 the driver runs on one of the space and available CPU cores.
The performance penalty you see having the main CPU compiling code to be processed on the GPU is much more serve on the Pi1 compared to the Pi2 because the Pi1 only have one CPU.
The Broadcom OpenGL ES 2 driver runs much of the OpenGL ES 2 shader compilation on the GPU itself something we cant do yet with the new Mesa3D OpenGL 2 vc4 driver.
All this i'm know.. But with cma=5m i dont have signal on monitor - vc4 driver cant start - and system fast...
pi2 have more ram and what? i'm test all this from comand line (no x11, no need more ram - only text rendering ) -
current vc4 driver slow down pi1 cpu , not gpu - namely cpu - this mean that cpu doing a lot for rendering text for comand line - this not normal...

P.S. maybe vc4 allocate all 512mb and system use swap...

UPD:
No system dont allocate all 512mb.
i'm have boot time with cma=32M (vc4 driver working) and with cma=8M (vc4 driver not load):

cma=8M
first message of dmesg
[2015-09-16 15:52:05] Booting Linux on physical CPU 0x0
last message
[2015-09-16 15:53:05] cfg80211: Exceeded CRDA call max attempts. Not calling CRDA

We can see that load time = 1 min.

cma=32M
first message of dmesg
[2015-09-16 16:03:22] Booting Linux on physical CPU 0x0
last message
[2015-09-16 16:05:06] cfg80211: Exceeded CRDA call max attempts. Not calling CRDA

We can see that load time = 1 min and 44 sec.

44 sec - for rendering text?

System very stupid - with vc4. anyone besides me tested vc4 on rpi1?

sekil

Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:47 pm

Ok..
problem solved.. now system fast and vc4 working good. Eric fix this later...

AngelFromHell

Wed Oct 14, 2015 5:13 am

tried the latest build 2015-10-09:

works really great and pretty fast however

minor: screen on my hdmi connected television is a little bit larger as the old version, so i can see only half the buttons...still can live with it...
nasty: when i move the Processing window, there is a failure, i get a login window, after logging in everything is gone and has to be restarted...

looks still very promisssing !!#
keep up the great work

coding

Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:58 pm

I am currently trying the latest image, which seems to be from Dec 20 2015. it crashes on the Pi 2 when you smoothly move larger areas of the screen. Like smooth-scrolling web pages, dragging Windows across the desktop...
Do you know of this bug?
And: Are there no daily builds anymore?

Is it safe to do a sudo apt-get upgrade? Because X is patched, maybe upgrades might overwrite the custom patches?

xranby

Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:41 am

coding wrote:I am currently trying the latest image, which seems to be from Dec 20 2015. it crashes on the Pi 2 when you smoothly move larger areas of the screen. Like smooth-scrolling web pages, dragging Windows across the desktop...
Do you know of this bug?
Yes we are aware of this bug in the VC4 driver, it happens if the GPU runs out of memory and are easily triggered by moving windows around and scrolling. We hope to solve the issue by working more on the Glamor driver, the Mesa3D codebase and the VC4 linux kernel driver. It is nothing that I can improve by working on the OpenGL/ES code used by Processing 3.
coding wrote: And: Are there no daily builds anymore?
gottfried have moved to a new location and had to shutdown the build server.
All tools gottfried used to perform these build are located here:
https://github.com/gohai/vc4-buildbot
coding wrote: Is it safe to do a sudo apt-get upgrade? Because X is patched, maybe upgrades might overwrite the custom patches?
No, Raspbian has to start offering the free software VC4 drivers as .deb packages, first then will it be safe to upgrade. The patches required to use the VC4 kernel and mesa3D userspace driver already exist in the Raspberry Pi Linux kernel tree and the next version of Mesa3D! However it will likely take untill the next Raspbian major release until Debian first include this new work and Raspbian build new packages that provide VC4 support in a "supported" way that work with system updates.

Best way to get stated with Processing 3 on a Raspberry Pi that do work with system updates:

Go to Procedding.org and download the Linux ARMv6hf release it will work out of the box on a regular Raspberry Pi 2 using Raspbian!
https://processing.org/download

https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/now-av ... rocessing/
Xerxes Rånby @xranby I once had two, then I gave one away. Now both are in use every day!
twitter.com/xranby

Kaon

Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:48 am

Will these drivers work for Opengl QT5 applications running in X11 windows?

xranby

Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:24 am

The latest Raspbian Release contains this new vc4 OpenGL driver, read more about it here and how you can enable it!
All OpenGL 2 applications are expected to work.
https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/anothe ... n-release/
twitter.com/xranby

FlachyJoe

Sat Feb 13, 2016 6:08 pm

Hi,
What about using vc4 driver on pi1 B+ ?
sekil seems to get it running : posting.php?mode=reply&f=81&t=115350#pr817332
but the rasbian release notices it's only usable on pi2, why ?
Thanks.
;-) Flachy Joe ;-)

xranby

Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:56 am

FlachyJoe wrote:Hi,
What about using vc4 driver on pi1 B+ ?
sekil seems to get it running : posting.php?mode=reply&f=81&t=115350#pr817332
but the rasbian release notices it's only usable on pi2, why ?
Thanks.
The new vc4 driver can run on the pi1, pi1 b+ & pi zero
However the people who release Raspbian have decided not to enable the new driver when using raspi-config for these systems because it do not run well enough. It is a quality assurance reason, they only want to enable configurations that work well for the end user. The reason why it behave less good on the pi1, pi1 b+ & pi zero is because the new driver require some extra RAM and some extra CPU resources, both are already limited on these systems, thus if you enable the new driver you can expect quite long start-up times before x11 become usable.
twitter.com/xranby

Return to “Java”