D9M2W

Android App Development

Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:01 pm

So, I didn't really know where to post this - but I thought Java because I know that Android apps are programmed in Java to (although I do know there is C# IDE's etc, as my workplace uses one of them).

So the question is, how does one best start to get into Android programming and learning one the languages needed for it, such as Java, in this instance.

Anyone with experience it would be nice to hear from your experiences and how you started out etc

Anyone who is starting out themselves, feel free to join and say how you're learning or starting out!

I do understand there is the Android App Inventor that is a Google and MIT product, however I don't see how advanced we can actually get with the apps it can create - I mean under the hood it seems advanced enough, but I've not seen any decent visuals from the apps, its all very basic.

Thanks
Last edited by D9M2W on Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DougieLawson

Re: Android App Development

Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:06 pm

You'll need a big fat Windows laptop (or equivalent) and the Eclipse Bloatware Android ADK. Forget any idea of running that resource hog on any flavour of Raspberry Pi.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:06 pm

Android isn't going to happen (anytime soon) on a PI, (although with the new PI its getting less improbable).
but that said, look at what android developers use, and learn that, if it Java, good, learn Java. But android developers kits tend to be very large indeed.

in any case, you are correctly in the java section.

D9M2W

Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:12 pm

Thanks guys - Sadly I didn't think the Pie would hack it to well (or maybe the new quad core would?)

My desktop and laptop are powerful enough though, so power isn't a problem at the moment
(i7 4770, 8Gb RAM [Soon to be 16Gb], R9 280x Vapour-X [Soon the be cfx])

With job prospects not being the best at my place either at the moment, I would, if I could like to worm my way into their app development jobs, as well as a nice hobby of mine

I do see Google has their own version of Eclipse for an IDE

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:14 pm

Learning any language first is never time wasted. You don't need to jump into the deep end immediately without any prior knowledge, and that knowledge can easily be acquired on a PI.

D9M2W

Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:17 pm

mahjongg wrote:Learning any language first is never time wasted. You don't need to jump into the deep end immediately without any prior knowledge, and that knowledge can easily be acquired on a PI.
Very true - I think tbh the main problem I'm facing is there is SO much in terms of resources etc it's actually a problem to pace myself correctly etc

Laurens-wuyts

Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:21 pm

I use Android Studio from Google.
It's easy to use and Google has good tutorials. ;)

Laurens

fruitoftheloom

Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:23 pm

Laurens-wuyts wrote:I use Android Studio from Google.

Laurens
Not much use on the Raspberry Pi's Raspbian Distro
Retired disgracefully.....
This at present is my daily "computer" https://www.asus.com/us/Chrome-Devices/Chromebit-CS10/

D9M2W

Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:25 pm

Laurens
Ahh yes I've been looking into this today! - Just got that downloaded and installed, think this is going to be the wayt to go - I might email the appropriate department at work and see what the company has to offer in terms of training

D9M2W

Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:25 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:

Laurens
Not much use on the Raspberry Pi's Raspbian Distro
True, but I think i've accepted its the Windows way to go for now, but everyone has been helpful which is nice

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:08 pm

I thought the Android SDK ran on Ubuntu? Isn't it just a Eclipse system? Am I out of date?
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

D9M2W

Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:12 pm

jamesh wrote:I thought the Android SDK ran on Ubuntu? Isn't it just a Eclipse system? Am I out of date?
There is a Linux download

fruitoftheloom

Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:18 pm

D9M2W wrote:
jamesh wrote:I thought the Android SDK ran on Ubuntu? Isn't it just a Eclipse system? Am I out of date?
There is a Linux download
Linux x86-32 / x86-64 http://developer.android.com/sdk/index. ... quirements

nothing for ARM though
Retired disgracefully.....
This at present is my daily "computer" https://www.asus.com/us/Chrome-Devices/Chromebit-CS10/

rpdom

Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:26 pm

Of course you don't have to use a GUI to build Android apps. Everything can be done on the command line (the Eclipse GUI is really just a front end to the command line tools like ANT and ADB). I don't know if they are all available for ARM on the Pi. Well, ADB is available in Debian Jessie at least.

D9M2W

Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:08 am

Very true - A frontend would be nice - There is a Java development kit for ARM also which I found on their website

mob-i-l

Sun May 17, 2015 8:47 pm

There exists an app called Terminal IDE on Google Play. I think this could be ported to Raspberry Pi. Anyway, one can use Raspberry Pi as a terminal to an Android-device with Terminal IDE. I've not had time to test it much yet.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... artacuside
http://www.appbrain.com/app/terminal-id ... artacuside
https://code.google.com/p/terminal-ide/ GPLv2
Have Pi0&1A&1B&1B+&2B&3B&4B w/ Raspbian. Started w/ BASIC on ABC80&ZX81 then Forth, Z80… https://scratch.mit.edu/users/mobluse/ https://github.com/mobluse/ https://twitter.com/mobluse/ https://YouTube.com/MOBiL4u/

xranby

Mon May 18, 2015 11:51 am

Debian jessie provide an android sdk tools package;
https://packages.debian.org/source/jess ... dsdk-tools

This package should work to do android developement on a Raspbian jessie systems using the Raspberry Pi 2.

The best part by using this debian provided package that is built from the android opensource project sourcecode is that you do not have to agree to the Google Android EULA in order to develop android applications! You may thus "fragment" the android platform as you wish.
Xerxes Rånby @xranby I once had two, then I gave one away. Now both are in use every day!
twitter.com/xranby

Harris Smith

Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:51 am

I suggest you to learn the programming by attending the course in a good institution. So that you can clarify all your concerns with the faculties available there. Also, you can do many projects. I had done my mobile app development course from Cestar College in Toronto[/url][/url] and that helped me a lot in work related problems. If you don’t have enough time to attend the course many tutorials are available there in internet. You can go through that.

thomasmarlin

Wed Aug 10, 2016 4:54 pm

D9M2W wrote:So, I didn't really know where to post this - but I thought Java because I know that Android apps are programmed in Java to (although I do know there is C# IDE's etc, as my workplace uses one of them).

So the question is, how does one best phenq review start to get into Android programming and learning one the languages needed for it, such as Java, in this instance.

Anyone with experience it would be nice to hear from your experiences and how you started out etc

Anyone who is starting out themselves, feel free to join and say how you're learning or starting out!

I do understand there is the Android App Inventor that is a Google and MIT product, however I don't see how advanced we can actually get with the apps it can create - I mean under the hood it seems advanced enough, but I've not seen any decent visuals from the apps, its all very basic.

Thanks
Learning Java would help you a lot. It is very interesting. Apart Android App development so many other technologies are based on it.

Basic visuals are very useful and understood by a lot of common people. So that point you can also count as a positive one.

Android App Development is a field which is growing and growing, so developers will have so many ways to start. Please share.
Last edited by thomasmarlin on Thu Sep 08, 2016 3:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

D9M2W

Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:53 am

Come October Ill be starting a BSc Honours in Computing and IT, so going to be learning Java as part of that :)

shreya.pandey

Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:19 am

Android applications are written in Java generally. (You can also go pure native by writing apps in C++, but one generally does not go there). With Java, it becomes cleaner and easier to use in my opinion.

So, to start out, you will need basics of Java. There are hundred and hundreds of resources online for you to learn Java. Simple google of "Java for beginners" will help. You can start here if you want to TheNewBoston - Java Beginner series.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PLF ... l-zzrqQoSE

The layouts, how the app looks is written in XML. Basics of XML will do for starters. Nothing fancy about it. You can pick XML when you actually start with Android. So it kind of becomes optional.

Once you have got these two under your belt, you can move to Android. Again, you can find hundreds of resources online. Also, it is pretty huge topic and mastering it will take time. So my best is to dive straight into. Again you have TheNewBoston to the rescue with their video series here.

Some might say that it is not a good way to get started with as you miss out on many of the standards and practices, but I feel once you dive in and explore it by piece by piece and join all those pieces you will learn much more. Standard practices, memory optimizations, etc. will be much more appreciated if you do it the *wrong* way, get stuck and then understand the importance of doing it the *right* way.

These video series over here are good for beginners and help you start easily without being too intimidating. But always remember, that books and video series won't get you too far. You can start with these but if you really want to master it, after you finish getting the basics right, practice is the key.

1. Code every day!

2. Look at open source code, see how others build their apps, see how that other guy built that cool feature! (Github)

3. Refer these tutorials! These tutorials are your friend. They have all the info, what to use and how to use! (Android Development Tutorials and Courses)
https://hackr.io/tutorials/learn-android-development

4. Use StackOverflow https://stackoverflow.com/!
Whenever you are stuck with certain piece of code, first use the documentation, if you can't solve it - Google it, still can't solve, use stackoverflow! 9/10 times the problem you are facing, must have been faced by someone else. See how the solved it! Don't just copy paste! See what you were doing wrong! Make a mental note of it!

Android is a vast topic! Don't expect to finish it in two weeks! It will take time. Perseverance is key!

All the best :)

Ovalman

Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:41 pm

Hi Guys, hope this helps someone but I was trying to learn to code miserable for years (for over 5 years) and I've taken many courses. It's not the code that is the problem - Java, Python, C#, C++ etc are pretty easy to understand, it's putting it all together. You see to learn Android, you need to first learn to use Android Studio (a skill in itself) and then you need to learn xml, Java, Sqlite, html and a host of other things to make your idea spring to life.

What done it for me was the free Basics Android course on Udacity. This broke the whole problem into bitesize 10 minutes of video that was easy to understand. I already knew about variables, arrays, loops ect but didn't know how to fully implement these in Android.

Getting something onto a phone is pretty easy but understanding how it all links together is a lot harder. Linking buttons and textfields was my biggest stumble, once I understood how to do that everything became so much easier. I'm using things like Sqlite by the "just in time" method. I'll use Google to see how others have done it then tweaked the code for my own needs.

Some tips:
Take that Udacity course, it's free and by far the best out there.
Join a group or a forum and ask answer questions - even if your wrong, someone will correct you.
Code, code and code. Don't copy and paste but type it in. See how Android Studio finds and corrects mistakes.
Debugging is a nightmare but essential, get to know how to read errors.
Google is your friend, if you ave a problem then someone else will have faced it.
If your creating an app, don't do as others have done. Find a problem and create a solution, if it's been made before then make it better.

Hope this helps someone.

dougie belton

Re: Android App Development - ray of hope

Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:00 pm

I know this discussion took place a long time ago, but I wanted to add something:

While it is true that Android Studio is never going to work on a RPi, you can still use the device to move yourself in the right direction.

Using BlueJ, you can learn Java and even practice/build a lot of the functionality that will be needed in your apps. There are several excellent (and free) courses out there from Giraffe Academy, edx, and udemy. You can watch the videos, and do all the examples on the pi.

Once you feel ready to actually make an app, you will need Android Studio on a suitable computer. Once again, there are excellent (and free) resources out there to help you learn (look to You Tube). I use my Pi at this stage to play the video on my TV while I follow along on my laptop. I am about 2 weeks from unleashing my first app for Android, and my RPi 3 has been invaluable in helping me get to this point.

So while it is (sadly) true that the Pi cannot do 100% of the process; it can help you significantly as you learn app development.

Return to “Java”