AmigaGamer

Re: Raspberry Pi 2 - What would it mean for emulation?

Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:06 pm

welshy wrote:Outrun now doesn't budge from 100% performance.
After a few days of "sitting on the fence" about ordering a new PI, Welshy just sold me one in about 15 seconds ^

Mostly though im looking forwards to rebuilding some retroarch cores on the new release, and chipping away at Uae4all2 builds again (hopefully without the frameskip this time)

So excited about the new system, and mainly that it will revitalise this little corner of the community - things have been quiet the last few months!

welshy

Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:12 pm

AmigaGamer wrote:
welshy wrote:Outrun now doesn't budge from 100% performance.
After a few days of "sitting on the fence" about ordering a new PI, Welshy just sold me one in about 15 seconds ^
lol! When I get the chance ill do some more testing of existing Binaries (e.g. PiFBA), recompile a few Emulators for various Systems and post the results.
"The list of things I have heard now contains everything!"

Higgy

Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:21 pm

Looking forward to your efforts guys. Would love UAE4ALL2 running on the Pi. HDMI out, USB keyboard/mouse/joystick. Life would be good :P
I just got my Pi 2 delivered today.
Although I am not very clever on the programming side, so will not be able to help complie etc.

welshy

Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:35 pm

Higgy
If you would like to learn/assist check the Emulation on the Raspberry Pi Thread, SOURCE CODE - Compile Your Own Binaries Section, where you will find Tutorials for various Emulators.

Link - http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 78&t=54357

AmigaGamer

Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:46 pm

welshy wrote:[ When I get the chance ill do some more testing of existing Binaries (e.g. PiFBA), recompile a few Emulators for various Systems and post the results.
Same plan here. Will be investigating best compiler options while waiting for delivery (many current emulator builds are optimised for the armv6 / arm1176jzf for instance.) Already a thread discussing it in the C forum here http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 54&start=0

welshy

Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:03 pm

AmigaGamer
Thanks for the Link!

bobbyyoustra

Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:37 am

There is a DS emulator (sudo apt-get install desmume) on the Pi, while it is very very (very) slow on the B+ (<6 fps), it might be acceptable on the Pi 2 (think N64 on B+).

cacophony555

Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:01 pm

welshy wrote:Well, MAME4ALLPi works! Previously one of the slowest working Title on the Pi was N.A.R.C, running at 900MHz 'Medium' O/C it seriously struggled and could be deemed 'Not Playable' because it ran at approximately 60%, at best, probably because it was the first 'HD' Arcade Title (well, HD in 1988!), but its pretty much 100% with the odd lapse to high 90s when there is lots onscreen, without any overclocking! Additionally, Outrun now doesn't budge from 100% performance.
I'm a bit confused by the naming... isn't MAME4ALLPi the mame emulator that was previously considered the best one due to pudding's optimizations?

But regardless, that's great to hear! I wonder how the mame core for retroarch performs now. I'm also curious about the other mame options that support different/newer rom sets. I'm personally excited to have a working version of Indy and the Temple of Doom :D

welshy

Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:25 pm

cacophony555 wrote:I'm a bit confused by the naming... isn't MAME4ALLPi the mame emulator that was previously considered the best one due to pudding's optimizations?
Yes, that's correct! I know I quoted it as 'PiMAME4ALL' previously (also on the Emulation Thread), but that was incorrect!

steev

Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:40 pm

bobbyyoustra wrote:There is a DS emulator (sudo apt-get install desmume) on the Pi, while it is very very (very) slow on the B+ (<6 fps), it might be acceptable on the Pi 2 (think N64 on B+).
I tried both the version in the repos and the libretro version. I played New Super Mario Bros. and it was like 15-20 fps at best and at times much slower (~8 fps during the intro).
If we ever get Android I think there's a good chance we'll be able to run DraStic at full speed.

Redfez

Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:44 am

I've been testing Quake 3 on the Pi2 and I'm very impressed. Far more capable of handing the fast paced action without slow downs, even under a full load of bots added to really stress it. It stays playable long after the overclocked B+ would have given up - and that's before we've really got the Pi2 fully explored and tweaked and finding out what can be done with overclocking the Pi2.

We'll see software/games that were simply unpleasant to use before suddenly become very comfortable indeed and software out of reach now within the realms of possibility..

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:04 am

For those people wanting some build flags for Pi2 specific builds...this is some of the stuff I use when cross compiling some video apps, using the linaro compiler from the Raspi github/tools

Code: Select all

export CCJPREFIX="/home/james/projects/raspberrypi/tools/arm-bcm2708/gcc-linaro-arm-linux-gnueabihf-raspbian-x64/bin/arm-linux-gnueabihf-"

ffmpeg
./configure --enable-cross-compile --cross-prefix=${CCJPREFIX} --arch=armel --target-os=linux
make

x264
./configure --host=arm-linux --cross-prefix=${CCJPREFIX} --enable-static --extra-cflags="-mcpu=cortex-a7 -mfpu=neon-vfpv4"
make
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

Redfez

Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:12 am

I can honestly see the Pi2 being a gamechanger emulation box. Even in the early days it's showing a lot of promise. Sound emulation could potentially see improvments too once we can dedicate a core to handling that, etc. It's sometimes overlooked for graphics but often jarring when it goes wrong in emulation.

Now I'll just have to see if I can get the Vic20 running smoothly on the Pi2. Might be too much for it. ;)

welshy

Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:07 am

Just did a quick update in the Emulation Thread RE: Pcsx_ReARMed, mightly impressed!

Link - http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 78&t=54357

DigitalLumberjack

Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:29 am

This is great :)
I'm waiting for my rpi2 delivery, i can't wait to test all emulators by myself. PSX, 32X and N64 will be the priority :)

welshy

Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:54 am

Mupen64plus-rpi results in a similar performance increase to! (tested with Mario64 and Starfox64).

jamesh

Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:58 am

Worth noting, as I forgot to put it in my post above, that x264 doing VGA encodes from YUV to H264, when compiled for cortex-a7+NEON, gave a 30-32x speed improvement...about 8x for the A7 over 4 multiple cores (so about x2 per core), the rest being the NEON optimisations.

So I expect with NEON turned on and code that takes advantage of it, some massive performance increases in emulation.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

DigitalLumberjack

Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:00 am

I'm in love with NEON

welshy

Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:01 am

jamesh wrote:So I expect with NEON turned on and code that takes advantage of it, some massive performance increases in emulation.
Sweet! I haven't even optimised the compiles for NEON yet!

jamesh

Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:03 am

There are some aspects of GCC that can optimised to output NEON without specific NEON code, but it's pretty unusual for it to be optimal - Google will find articles on it. Writing NEON specific assembler gives the best results.

welshy

Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:07 am

jamesh
Cheers! I will look into it...

jamesh

Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:29 am

fishxz

Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:10 pm

tried today mupen64plus-libretro and vba-next. i am realy disappointed about the performance. i dont see any improvent :( both runs terrible. i cant even run more emulators than on my rpi 1 before.

i tried so many cpu flags and stuff like that, but this change nothing.

bobbyyoustra

Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:02 am

fishxz wrote:tried today mupen64plus-libretro and vba-next. i am realy disappointed about the performance. i dont see any improvent :( both runs terrible. i cant even run more emulators than on my rpi 1 before.

You sure? All other sources point to super fast emulation!

fishxz

Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:05 am

bobbyyoustra wrote:
fishxz wrote:tried today mupen64plus-libretro and vba-next. i am realy disappointed about the performance. i dont see any improvent :( both runs terrible. i cant even run more emulators than on my rpi 1 before.

You sure? All other sources point to super fast emulation!
i wish and hope you are right. my experience ist a bit different currently.

Return to “Gaming”