ITGuyLevi

Re: 01/16 UltraSlim = Retro/Gaming/Q3|XBMC 12/13|Desktop + m

Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:04 am

Calvin Cycle wrote:
ITGuyLevi wrote:I need help.

First let me say that I love the concept of this distro, and it seems to have be an extremely easy setup... that said...

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, everything seems to be working correctly except I don't see any of the emulators. I've added roms to ~\roms\snes\ and ~\roms\mame\ but I'm having no luck getting it to work (aside from xbmc, Openbox, and LXDE).

Any assistance anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated!
Press "left" or "right cursor keys from menu screen ;) I had a similar experience.

CC
Thank you so much! I have no idea how I spent so long going up and down in the menu, launching the desktop, xbmc, and everything else without ever trying to click left or right. After following your advice it worked flawlessly! Thank you very much!

Calvin Cycle

Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:10 am

ITGuyLevi wrote: Thank you so much! I have no idea how I spent so long going up and down in the menu, launching the desktop, xbmc, and everything else without ever trying to click left or right. After following your advice it worked flawlessly! Thank you very much!
:)

linx8

Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:39 am

Hi, has this been solved yet? I am also having difficulty. On choosing a rom from mame emulationstation I get:

==============================================
tvservice-client: Failed to connect to TV service: -1
Astro Fighter (set 1) (astrof)...
mame: src/rpi/minimal.cpp:423: void gp2x_frontend_init(): Assertion `dispman_display != 0' failed.
Aborted
==============================================

I have tried the command in a terminal and it works fine "~/Emulators/mame4all_pi/mame romname".
I have tried just launching MAME from emulationstation by removing the %BASENAME% from the command and I get the same error as above.

Sounds like a display issue from emulationstation to mame. Any ideas guys?

Also gotta say I love this OS! Awesome work!

Nitrogen_Widget wrote:Not sure what i'm doing wrong.
I'm using mame4all_pi & Emulation station finds my roms & snapshots but when I go to launch it briefly flashes multiple times that it can't find the file then brings me back to my rom list.

Here is my config:
DESCNAME=MAME
NAME=mame
PATH=/home/pi/emulators/mame4all_pi/roms
EXTENSION=.zip .ZIP
COMMAND=/home/pi/emulators/mame4all_pi/mame %BASENAME%
PLATFORMID=23

If I go to the mame4all_pi directory & launch mame it brings up my list of roms & launches them fine.
What am I missing?

Thanks.

linx8

Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:53 am

nevermind. its fixed and working majestically! Just needed the ol reboot.

KurtBliss

Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:33 pm

I have installed gpsp and got it working through emulationstation. Just like this in the es-systems.cfg

Code: Select all

DESCNAME=Game Boy Advanced
NAME=gba
PATH=/home/pi/Roms/gba
EXTENSION=..gba .GBA .zip .ZIP
COMMAND=~/.emulationstation/runcommand.sh 2 " /Emulators/gpsp/raspberrypi/gpsp %ROM%" 
PLATFORMID=5
But problem is that in the emulator theres a seperate controller config, So I went to change it and the dpad doesnt work on my wired PS3 controller. S o I installed a joytokey program for linux, tested it in the LXDE and ran the GPSP emulator and it worked fine, know I can't get it to run when I run the roms in emulationstation.

I tried simply to exit out of emulationstation and run the joytokey program but it said it needed the x server. So I thought of trying to use a openbox-session and I made it run the joytokey program in the background then the emulator and it worked. But that was in the apps tap on the emulatationstation .

So anyway I can pick the rom in emulation station and have it lauch joytokey then run my emulator with the rom?

Here are some more scripts I'm using too

~/home/pi/Roms/apps/gpsp (minimal desktop).sh

#!/bin/bash
xinit /usr/bin/openbox-session-gpsp
/usr/bin/openbox-session-gpsp

#!/bin/sh

if test -n "$1"; then
    echo "Syntax: openbox-session"
    echo
    echo "See the openbox-session(1) manpage for help."
  exit
fi

# Clean up after GDM
xprop -root -remove _NET_NUMBER_OF_DESKTOPS \
      -remove _NET_DESKTOP_NAMES \
      -remove _NET_CURRENT_DESKTOP 2> /dev/null

# Set up the environment
A="/etc/xdg/openbox/environment"
test -r $A && . $A
A="${XDG_CONFIG_HOME:-"$HOME/.config"}/openbox/environment"
test -r $A && . $A

# Run Openbox, and have it run the autostart stuff
exec ~/Desktop/qjoypad &
exec ~/Emulators/gpsp/raspberrypi/gpsp
--startup "/usr/lib/openbox/openbox-autostart OPENBOX" "$@"
I tried using the parameters in the es_config.cfg with the gpsp (minimal desktop).sh but I didn't know how to pass the rom through it. I had a few a temps at it but I decided not to show them.

So thanks for reading

Sincerely,
KurtBliss

linx8

Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:35 am

Hi guys, this is now working awesomely for me. Ive been running mame with two keyboards; one wireless and one through synergy. Anyone using this setup? There seems to be some bugs when exiting mame and such with synergy, causing mame and sometimes LXDE to freeze up. Can't seem to kill process either, needs a reboot.

Mactep

Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:03 pm

Hi,

is it Possible to run/include

http://volumio.org/features/

OR

http://www.raspyfi.com/

Can some one give me a hint howto to install ?

KurtBliss

Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:23 pm

@Mactep
First you can go to the Terminal, Go into the LXDE Desktop.

Open the LX Terminal
Enter

sudo apt-get install wpagui
You will probably have to enter y for yes when its done a program should be in your apps to set up you wifi.

You can also follow this tutorial too witch is less user friendly, all from the Terminal.
http://www.raspyfi.com/wi-fi-on-raspber ... ple-guide/

Hiradur

Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:46 am

Thanks for the Image, I love how I can switch between HTPC and desktop use in seconds.

However I wanted to know how the audio emulation performs for others. It sounds horrible in all RetroArch cores. Gameplay is fine though. I've overclocked to 800MHz which sadly is the highest setting my Pi can handle. I tried to lower audio_out_rate and updated to the latest kernel. Any other tips?
Non-RetroArch cores like PiSNES and gpSP work much better, still not perfect though.

Other ideas for programs to include:
- GB/GBA emulators (as mentioned before), GBA emulation seems to be less demanding than SNES emulation so one could play GBA remakes of SNES games for better performance. Metroid, Advance Wars and Castlevania should also warrant this. ;)
- Limelight Pi to stream games from a desktop PC to your TV.

jseaton

Sat Jun 28, 2014 2:25 pm

Thanks for the excellent emulation SD package, it saves a lot of time!

I built the latest mupen64plus from source (https://github.com/ricrpi/mupen64plus), and replaced the mupen64plus-rpi one. It seems to be slightly faster, though it's still not perfect. I think the majority of n64 games might be too much for the RPI to ever handle perfectly. Mario Kart is completely playable, but the framerate is noticeably low.

I guess I got lucky, I have been able to overclock my pi beyond the Turbo setting in raspi-config. I did add a heatsink to the SoC and SMCI chips. I have the following in my config.txt

gpu_mem=128
core_freq=550
sdram_freq=600
over_voltage=6
arm_freq=1100
force_turbo=1

I've played various game systems and ran stress tests, and I'm still running stable. During those tests I see temps between 60-65C. 1100 seems to be the limit for my chip, at 1200 the system randomly freezes. I may stick with this for a while, but I'm already itching to tweak it further. I use a 5V 2A power adapter from a Galaxy Note 2.

Next plan is to replace the SNES emulator with PiSNES, and attempt to add in a GBA emulator.

expandables

Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:15 pm

Hi Can i install openelec on the ultraslim? If so how can i do it thanks.
By thinking like an engineer you can create a raspberry pi.
Michael Jackson enthusiast.
I got the PI model B, B+ and PI 2 model B.
When will I get the A? I don't know.

Takenover83

Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:34 pm

Openelec is it's own operating system, so no.
UltraSlim is in need of updating. Time permitting (Yes, real life sucks and I do have a full time job), I will likely begin work on 2.0 in the coming weeks. Thanks to this awesome community for keeping it going.

expandables

Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:51 pm

I wanted openelec because its hard to enable the wifi. Can you put wpagui in it? Also can you please put gba emulator on the new one you will release thanks!

expandables

Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:59 pm

Hi, how to change the background image where applications are? For example i want to use a custom image.

NaeD

Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:05 pm

Any work on including emulationstation 2.0 in future updates, or some of the new features?

Mactep

Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:03 pm

@ Takenover83
any ETA for the Ultraslim 2.0 Update ?
Can you give us a (small) list of new "features"?

Stay Tuned ;)

KurtBliss

Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:15 am

Can't wait for a version 2. I think you should include a gb/gbc emulator and a gba. Not saying what specific emulators but the retroarch for the gb/gbc worked fine for me with Tetris.

For the gba I haven't tried the retroarch, I have tried the gpsp witch worked good with some changing settings for frame rate skipping was great, other than the problem I had with dpads not working, though there are works around to making the dpads buttons.

What ever emulators for the GB/GBC and GBA you pick would be cool.

lunarkingdom

Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:40 pm

Hi I downloaded 1.6 and installed the image on my microSD card and when I load it in my B+ Pi the sound works through the analog sound but HDMI video never comes on so I know it is loading (due to the intro movie sound working) so my question is does anyone know how I can fix it?

KurtBliss

Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:09 pm

lunarkingdom wrote:Hi I downloaded 1.6 and installed the image on my microSD card and when I load it in my B+ Pi the sound works through the analog sound but HDMI video never comes on so I know it is loading (due to the intro movie sound working) so my question is does anyone know how I can fix it?
Some TVs with hdmi I have to play the intro movie in the omx player slide, then the sound works through hdmi

lunarkingdom

Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:22 pm

well I have the newer B+ model so, anyways I was able to hook up the analog video out and can see the picture now, I get to the startup screen where it prompts you to "please expand your file system and change any other settings you need to" by pressing [enter] but I can not hit enter and I have tried 2 different usb keyboards, anyone know how I can proceed? I assume the HDMI out setting is in the settings mentioned above, help appreciated! Thank you!

poopballoon

Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:06 am

lunarkingdom wrote:well I have the newer B+ model so, anyways I was able to hook up the analog video out and can see the picture now, I get to the startup screen where it prompts you to "please expand your file system and change any other settings you need to" by pressing [enter] but I can not hit enter and I have tried 2 different usb keyboards, anyone know how I can proceed? I assume the HDMI out setting is in the settings mentioned above, help appreciated! Thank you!

I'm having the exact same problem. I've tried 3 keyboards, and all 3 work on the berryboot installation screen so I know it's not a power or hardware issue.

lunarkingdom

Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:39 am

Yeah same here they both work on raspbmc fine, it has to be a compatibility issue with the new B+ model I hope we can get some help for this.

lunarkingdom

Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:14 pm

Hey poopballoon I figured out half (ok 1/3) the problem, I went on another pc (iMac) and looked at the files on the imaged disk and in the config.txt file there was a line I changed that made it use the HDMI instead of composite, it was:

# uncomment if hdmi display is not detected and composite is being output
#hdmi_force_hotplug=1

which I edited to say this:

# uncomment if hdmi display is not detected and composite is being output
hdmi_force_hotplug=1

Kind of cool the script works like a call of duty 4 config file with comment/uncomment ;-) now if we could only get the keyboard to work I would be happy. I mentioned 1/3 because now that it is outputting to HDMI out, so is the sound and I have 2 external amps coming in the mail and my screen is HDMI but has no sound support. Can we get some help fellas? In the meantime I am going to look for hidden files to see if there is any other applicable code...

lunarkingdom

Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:21 pm

I found nothing else to be of help in the hidden files, sorry. Keyboard and sound still need to get working.

kraken667

Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:28 pm

Hi guys.

I seem to have a problem with ES-scraper and the gamelist.xml files. For example, when I run ES_Scraper(from the "Applications" menu) for some Atari 2600 games, it finds them all, corrects their titles and downloads the box art.

But when I then go to the Atari 2600 game selection screen, the games are still shown without correct title and without box art.

When I look at the gamelist.xml-file, it's like I've never scraped. The box art jpegs are downloaded into the folders...

... but the xml-file looks like this:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<gameList>
  	<game>
		<path>/home/pi/Roms/atari2600/Amidar (1983) (Parker Bros).bin</path>
		<name>Amidar (1983) (Parker Bros)</name>
		<rating>0.000000</rating>
		<userrating>0.000000</userrating>
		<timesplayed>0</timesplayed>
		<lastplayed>0</lastplayed>
	</game>