BakaOsaka

Re: Emulators and the R-pi

Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:56 pm

Oh, just found out I was running the wrong command, silly me. Got it working now. However I still have no sound from HDMI :shock: Any advice? Should I force HDMI audio mode?
Thanks!

Edit:
Also on the troubleshooting section, when I try to play the demo sound, no audio plays. Only the "hello_audio" works.

(FCEU gives this error)

Code: Select all

Initializing sound...Error opening a sound device.
Bluh, ignore again. Forced audio to headphone and it works. However HDMI audio doesn't work? Odd.

Award for most edits in a 10 minute period? :D
Last edited by BakaOsaka on Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.

quark

Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:58 pm

I've forgot to say that I've added /usr/games to the PATH variable with

PATH=$PATH:/usr/games
so that I can run fceu with the fceu command and not with /usr/games/fceu.

abishur

Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:08 pm

quark wrote:I've forgot to say that I've added /usr/games to the PATH variable with

PATH=$PATH:/usr/games
so that I can run fceu with the fceu command and not with /usr/games/fceu.
I did something similar, went to /usr/bin then made a file called fceu with

sudo nano fceu
in the new file I wrote

#! /bin/bash
sudo aoss /usr/games/fceu "$@"
Saved it with crtl+o then exited with ctrl+x then made the whole thing executable with

sudo chmod +x fceu
that way I can type fceu anywhere and it will automatically start it with the right sound ;-)
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

ElB

Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:52 pm

I've got Stella, Atari800 (some odd controller issues aside), and FCEU working fine, but Vice is giving me grief -- it occasionally opens up off-screen or as a tiny window, and on a few occasions has hung the desktop (oddly the CPU meter keeps on chugging away, but nothing else responds). Also, where the heck does the .vicerc file live?

Toad King

Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:45 am

If anyone wants to give it a shot, I got a SNES emulator running at full speed to near full speed on my 850Mhz-overclocked Pi.

https://github.com/ToadKing/pocketsnes-libretro

It uses my RetroArch port to run: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... =35&t=6750

BakaOsaka

Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:17 pm

Toad King, is that with or without sound?

Toad King

Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:33 pm

BakaOsaka wrote:Toad King, is that with or without sound?
Sound works if you enabled the snd_bcm2835 module, but I've found that it makes the Raspberry Pi too unstable, and there are sound artifacts in it when the game isn't playing at full speed. (And even during slight hiccups at full speed.)

Michael McGuire

Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:25 pm

stecklars wrote:Is there a working emulator to play Neo Geo games yet?

http://youtu.be/H_POT27QQFc

MrZammler

Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:46 pm

Hi!

I've written a couple of blog posts on my playing around with emulators on my Pi, along with 2 videos to see them in action. Here's the links:

http://winterland.no-ip.org/2012/06/ras ... emulators/
http://winterland.no-ip.org/2012/07/emu ... pi-part-2/

The Pi is running Gentoo, and it's overclocked @900Mhz. ;)

toxibunny

Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:06 pm

cheers :)
note: I may or may not know what I'm talking about...

kashavsehra

Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:08 am

Has anyone here successfully got UAE or any other Amiga emulator running on the Pi? Would be interesting to see if there is any stable builds.

realbrucest

Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:11 am

@ kashavsehra: check this out, I haven't tested it because my Pi has not arrived yet and the guy says that it is just a start but... maybe it worths a try ;)

http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 76#p112476

OMightyBuggy

Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:40 am

Any Gameboy emulators running yet?

realbrucest

Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:48 am

First, I must point out that I'm a complete noob so maybe I've been overlooking any obvious thing.
I've been playing with Yabause (Sega Saturn emulator) >>source code<< but with no luck. I got a compiler error when building the dynarec code. A gcc error, pity I couldn't save a screenshot of the console output.

Have anybody else made the same attempt?

Note: playable Saturn emulation is something that, I'm afraid, our RasbPi won't ever embrace, anyhow because there's a port for Pandora I wanted to find out how "easy" was to build yabause for the Raspberry Pi. Failed on my first try :oops:
OMightyBuggy wrote:Any Gameboy emulators running yet?
Retroarch/RetroPie: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 35&t=13600

realbrucest

Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:14 pm

This is the error I get when I try to compile Yabause for raspbian:

gcc internal compiler error: Killed (program cc1)

Any clues?

Toad King

Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:10 pm

realbrucest wrote:This is the error I get when I try to compile Yabause for raspbian:

gcc internal compiler error: Killed (program cc1)

Any clues?
90% of the time I get that is because the compiler runs out of memory. Adding some swap space or switching to a higher memory split.

realbrucest

Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:41 pm

Toad King wrote:90% of the time I get that is because the compiler runs out of memory. Adding some swap space or switching to a higher memory split.
Thanks Toad King, I'll try to fix the thing going that way, although doing a quick search about swap resizing at Raspian subforums haven't made me feel confident based on >>what I found<<, tricky business, I don't want to risk neither my SD cards nor my pendrives.

So, I'll think I'll go for the memory split option.

And that will be tomorrow.

Toad King

Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:43 am

realbrucest wrote:
Toad King wrote:90% of the time I get that is because the compiler runs out of memory. Adding some swap space or switching to a higher memory split.
Thanks Toad King, I'll try to fix the thing going that way, although doing a quick search about swap resizing at Raspian subforums haven't made me feel confident based on >>what I found<<, tricky business, I don't want to risk neither my SD cards nor my pendrives.

So, I'll think I'll go for the memory split option.

And that will be tomorrow.
If you have a USB hard drive, you can just make a swap file on that to use. That's what I used for some compiles and it works fine.

Also note that if your /tmp folder gets too big that can cause builds to fail too. If too many files are left in it after failed builds, make sure you either remove them all or restart your Pi.

realbrucest

Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:56 am

I solved it changing the memory split:

The brand new problem is that I can't find the binary.

Is it supposed to be finished or am I missing some other step?

abishur

Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:42 pm

Just to follow up here, has anyone gotten an NES (or other type of emulator) working reliably with sound?

FCEU works great with no sound, but I can't seem to get sound running with it.

Pangtang

Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:00 pm

To fix the sound I installed alsa, alsa-oss and ran fceu from the command line on Debian Squeeze (haven't tried this on Raspbian) with these parameters: sudo aoss ./fceu - sound 1 - soundq 0 - soundrate 11025 -opengl 0 <name of rom>.nes. My arm_freq is at 800 and I'm running the GPU with only 64MB. I remember that the sound quality finally fixed itself when I set soundq to 0 and reduced the sound rate down to 11025. Hope this helps

abishur

Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:13 pm

I'm using Wheezy, but that didn't work for me unfortunately. I even tried it with the lowest GPU ram available. :(

abishur

Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:02 am

Just to further specify, I did:

sudo apt-get install alsa alsa-oss fceu
It made a note that

Note, selecting 'alsa-base' instead of 'alsa'
Then I tried running sudo aoss ./fceu (plus the switches you mentioned) <path to game file>

The game would load, but there was no sound. Is there a modprobe I need do other than snd_bcm2835?

Pangtang

Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:51 pm

I seem to remember a similar message about alsa-base when I was setting up the sound for fceu. If this helps re. modprobe, in my etc/modules file I have the lines :

vchiq
snd_bcm2835

I inserted both lines to fix the Pi sound when I first started using debian (I remember installing alsa-utils too).

To run fceu with the sound switches, I created an .sh file with the following script:

#!/bin/sh
cd /usr/games/
sudo aoss ./fceu -soundq 0 -soundrate 11025 romname.nes

which I then made executable and ran from the command line without starting XWindows. I have only ever used this method to run fceu (except when configuring the gamepad), so i am not sure whether the sound would work in XWindows as well.

abishur

Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:28 pm

Pangtang wrote:I seem to remember a similar message about alsa-base when I was setting up the sound for fceu. If this helps re. modprobe, in my etc/modules file I have the lines :

vchiq
snd_bcm2835

I inserted both lines to fix the Pi sound when I first started using debian (I remember installing alsa-utils too).

To run fceu with the sound switches, I created an .sh file with the following script:

#!/bin/sh
cd /usr/games/
sudo aoss ./fceu -soundq 0 -soundrate 11025 romname.nes

which I then made executable and ran from the command line without starting XWindows. I have only ever used this method to run fceu (except when configuring the gamepad), so i am not sure whether the sound would work in XWindows as well.
yeah, I do the exact same thing, but no sound :? 2 interesting things I notice. First I can only do this once. If I try to pull up FCEU a second time after hitting ESC to exit the program I just get a blank screen. Second, when I exit I can see that it says it successful pulled up my sound device but there's just no sound. Very odd.

Return to “Gaming”