TommyHLW

Re: WIP: Playable Nintendo 64 Emulator Available

Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:34 pm

Hey guys, nice work.
What happens when I do ./m64p_build.sh in /home/pi/mupen64plus-rpi/* ?
Does it overwrite /home/pi/RetroPie/emulators/mupen64plus-rpi/* and /home/pi/.config/mupen64plus/mupen64plus.cfg ?
Or are the bin-files just in the build folder?
Cause even what binairy I start the controller edit of /home/pi/.config/mupen64plus/mupen64plus.cfg nor /home/pi/mupen64plus-rpi/mupen64plus.cfg has no effect. So the graphic hack also won't change anything.

Cheers
Tommy

welshy

Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:51 pm

TommyHLW
Welcome to the Forum!
No, the Binary is building in a different folder so it wont be effected, however, when you run the dev build it will over write the mupen config file in the .config folder. There is also currently an issue with changing joypad settings, on re initialisation of the program it over writes them back to 'Default' values (See previous Page).
"The list of things I have heard now contains everything!"

TommyHLW

Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:49 pm

thanks for the quick reponse.
So that means ~/.config/mupen64plus/mupen64plus.cfg gets changed deppending on the emulator (dev or "stable") I start?
Do I need to make up a backup file (mupen64plus.cfg) to keep at least the joypad settings?

welshy

Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:07 pm

TommyHLW
They will both use/read the same config file, make a back up of your original before making any changes just in case when running the dev build it over writes your Joypad settings.

TommyHLW

Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:16 pm

Neither editing ~/.config/mupen64plus.cfg nor ~/mupen64plus-rpi/mupen64plus.cfg had any effect:

Code: Select all

[Input-SDL-Control1]

# Mupen64Plus SDL Input Plugin config parameter version number.  Please don't change this version number.
version = 2
# Controller configuration mode: 0=Fully Manual, 1=Auto with named SDL Device, 2=Fully automatic
mode: 0
etc...

Finally I got my joypad settings working by editing the InputAutoCfg.ini in the compiled dev folder ~/mupen64plus-rpi/test.

But how I could I change the video settings if my mupen64plus don't care about my mupen64plus.cfg?

ric_rpi

Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:47 pm

mupen64plus does use the config file.

If you are running as sudo, to make use of automatic priority/scheduling setting, then the config used is /root/.config/mupen64plus/mupen64plus.cfg.

I have setup a soft link for mupen64plus.cfg for user root and pi pointing to ~/mupen64plus-rpi/mupen64plus.cfg so normally this cfg won't be used.

You can set the directory where the mupen64plus.cfg resides using --configdir.

For video settings:
mupen64plus-video-rice.so uses mupen64plus.cfg.
mupen64plus-video-n64.so uses gles2n64.conf.

Note: gles2n64.conf currently must be in the same directory as mupen64plus. (issue #12)

Uks2

Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:37 pm

Hey,
When I type in the command to the emulator:

sudo ./mupen64plus.cht /home/pi/Desktop/N64Roms/SuperMario64.zip
All I get is this

./mupen64plus.cht: 1: ./mupen64plus.cht: //: Permission denied
./mupen64plus.cht: 2: ./mupen64plus.cht: //: Permission denied
./mupen64plus.cht: 3: ./mupen64plus.cht: //: Permission denied
./mupen64plus.cht: 4: ./mupen64plus.cht: Syntax error: "(" unexpected
Can anyone help fix this?
Thanks in advance,
Uks2

welshy

Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:41 pm

Uks2
What exactly are you trying to do?

Uks2

Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:44 pm

I'm just trying to get it to rum super mario via the method in the initial post

welshy

Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:00 pm

Uks2
Ok, just wondered what the 'sudo ./mupen64plus.cht' command was trying to achieve!

It wont run compressed ROMS so you will have to extract the file (it will probably be .n64, N64, Z64 etc).
CD into the test folder: mupen64plus-rpi-master/test (where the executable and plugins are located ) and run the program along with the name and location of the ROM
./mupen64plus /'location'/'rom including extension'
e.g.
./mupen64plus /home/pi/Desktop/N64Roms/SuperMario64.n64

Uks2

Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:41 pm

If I do ./mupen64plus /home/pi/Desktop/N64Roms/SuperMario64.z64 (it extracted to z64 not n64) then the terminal give me

bash: ./mupen64plus: No such file or directory

welshy

Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:21 pm

Uks2
That means you haven't 'CD'd' into the folder where the mupen64 executable is so its informing you there is no such program to run!
You have to 'CD' (Change Directory) into the correct folder then run the program, open a Terminal and change directory into the 'test' folder (the program is the cog/gear symbol).

Uks2

Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:31 pm

which folder is it? I have found 2 so far. One is on my desktop, the one that I installed from that, in its test folder, has mupen64plus.cht with a cog symbol or there is one in /home/pi that has no cog symboled files in its test folder. Neither have worked.

welshy

Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:36 pm

Uks2
The .cht file is a cheat file for the emulator, not an executable, I suggest you haven't compiled the emulator and its additional components, it doesn't come 'Pre-Built'. Once compiled there should be 20 or more files in the test folder, the executable and all the grafx/sound/input plugins etc.

mattmartinolc

Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:42 pm

Is this the version that is included in the RetroPie setup script or do I have to do it separately and change the RetroPie config file command to launch that one?

pomme

Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:35 am

A little late to the game here but I am attempting to get mupen64plus-rpi running via RetroPie/ES.

I've managed to get my ROM detected and launching with no issues but when the game starts it's extremely choppy/unplayable. I've read through this thread and tried adjusting settings where suggested but it doesn't seem to make a difference in performance.

I get that there isn't full support for all titles but I am having trouble with even the "Best Titles" such as Super Mario 64.

I've got my memory split to 256mb - What nooby thing am I overlooking here? I'm not looking to play through the entire N64 library on my pi but I would like to at least run a handful of titles that are running well. I don't get what I've done wrong where other people seems to be getting good results out of the box. Any tips anyone might have would be greatly appreciated. Thank you everyone that's worked so hard on getting this running.

welshy

Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:56 am

mattmartinolc wrote:Is this the version that is included in the RetroPie setup script
I would assume so as I'm unaware of any other solutions to N64 emulation on the RPi.

welshy

Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:07 am

pomme wrote:A little late to the game here but I am attempting to get mupen64plus-rpi running via RetroPie/ES.

I've managed to get my ROM detected and launching with no issues but when the game starts it's extremely choppy/unplayable. I've read through this thread and tried adjusting settings where suggested but it doesn't seem to make a difference in performance.

I get that there isn't full support for all titles but I am having trouble with even the "Best Titles" such as Super Mario 64.

I've got my memory split to 256mb - What nooby thing am I overlooking here?
Hard to say as I don't use RetroPie, but it shouldn't make any difference as all it would be doing is launching via Emulation Station (the Front End). How choppy is it? What is your overclock setting? A user posted a UTube Vid playing Mario64 at a High (1000MHz) O/C of an early Build, the sound accuracy has since been much improved, (Here - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGkHx3CvLUo), with the current version you should be getting a similar level performance at 900MHz. Another UTube Vid with Shea Silverman (of PiMAME) running Star Fox 64 on an early build at a default 700MHz overclock (Here - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMEhhIQqWJI), again, at higher O/C's it should be much improved (with the odd glitch when lots of polys are being drawn and effects applied). Perhaps reducing you GPU split to 128MEG would help giving the CPU more memory bandwidth?

ric_rpi

Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:21 am

I think RetroPie pulls the master branch from the repository. The ric_dev branch is usually slightly faster but more likely to have errors.

To get the best performance you should do the following:
1. Overclock the Pi to its maximum stable speed (use 'sudo raspi-config' )
2. Run mupen64plus using sudo/root so that it can change its scheduler policy to 'hog' the CPU
3. Use 128Mb GPU/CPU memory split. The current code doesn't force the kernel to keep pages in ram so if the split is too high, then pages will be swapped and slow emulation down. (Fix coming soon)
4. Run mupen64plus without the desktop (use Ctrl+Alt+F1; [log in]; sudo telinit 2)
5. The video-gles2n64 plugin is the fastest so use it if it works with the ROM you want to play.
6. Modify mupen64plus.cfg as detailed in other posts and in the repo wiki (Although it needs more detail)

welshy

Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:27 am

ric_rpi wrote: 2. Run mupen64plus using sudo/root so that it can change its scheduler policy to 'hog' the CPU
That's an interesting tit bit, haven't checked that (only when previously testing the dev branch for you to see if it crashed), will have to give that a go!

'3. Use 128Mb GPU/CPU memory split. The current code doesn't force the kernel to keep pages in ram so if the split is too high, then pages will be swapped and slow emulation down. (Fix coming soon)'
That's not uncommon and no doubt why many emulators suffer a similar drop in performance with too much RAM applied to the GPU (I set mine at 128 for my 512MEG RPi and 64 on the 256).

ric_rpi

Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:11 am

The disadvantage with using sudo/root is that new saved games/states are owned by root and if you forget to use sudo/root the next time you run mupen64plus, you won't be able to save the game. The cfg file is also different.

Hardware DMA also requires mupen64plus to be run as root - but this is still in development.

pomme

Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:47 pm

Thanks guys, lowering the memory split to 128 and setting the O/C to 1000mhz made a marked improvement.

One problem seems to remain on most games, very distorted audio.. My video is coming out via RCA and I am using the 1/8" audio jack. Are the any special considerations for this setup? I am noticing a long string of Audio Buffer Over Run messages in the console when I exit. Cause for concern? Thanks again for your help.

welshy

Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:03 pm

pomme wrote:Thanks guys, lowering the memory split to 128 and setting the O/C to 1000mhz made a marked improvement.

One problem seems to remain on most games, very distorted audio.. My video is coming out via RCA and I am using the 1/8" audio jack. Are the any special considerations for this setup? I am noticing a long string of Audio Buffer Over Run messages in the console when I exit. Cause for concern? Thanks again for your help.
Ah, that could be the answer as to why your experiencing performance issues. Analogue sound exacts a much greater overhead than Digital via HDMI on the RPi Hardware, noticeably so when trying to also emulate something as complex as the N64! Reducing the fidelity (frequency) of the sound should help, see previous posts for details.The buffer over run messages are common, even under HDMI.

whise

Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:55 am

Im sorry can you guys just explain something to me?

When you say 128 mb GPU/CPU memory split.

Does that mean 128 mb for the GPU?

Sorry for the dumb question

welshy

Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:54 am

whise wrote:Im sorry can you guys just explain something to me?

When you say 128 mb GPU/CPU memory split.

Does that mean 128 mb for the GPU?
Yes that's exactly what it means. The config Menu (sudo raspi-config) applies the RAM to the GPU depending on what value is used. So if the value 128 is used, 128MEG of available RAM (512 or 256 depending on your Model) is assigned to the GPU.

Return to “Gaming”