Vanfanel

Re: RetroArch on Raspbian: the tutorial

Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:43 pm

Instead of answering you, I'll tell you how to know if it's possibe to compile RetroArch without RGUI: run "./configure --help" on the RA source directory, and find out yourself ;)

As for the version, I believe 1.0.0.2 is the last "stable" version released, so they haven't changed the version number in the sources. Don't worry, 1.1 is drawing near! :D

antiriad

Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:19 am

Vanfanel wrote:Instead of answering you, I'll tell you how to know if it's possibe to compile RetroArch without RGUI: run "./configure --help" on the RA source directory, and find out yourself ;)
Let's try...

It CAN be done! Very useful this option! :D
Vanfanel wrote: As for the version, I believe 1.0.0.2 is the last "stable" version released, so they haven't changed the version number in the sources. Don't worry, 1.1 is drawing near! :D
Ok but I don't know if it's me but... with the last version of Retroarch the FCEU-Next core seems slower than an older one... boh... Now I will try to compile both with the CFLAGS options!

Thank you!

antiriad

Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:51 pm

Hmm it seems that even if I disable RGUI and enable Lakka or GLUI, it is NOT possible to compile Retroarch without RGUI.

Code: Select all

CFLAGS="-Ofast -march=armv6j -mfpu=vfp -mfloat-abi=hard" ./configure --disable-x11 --enable-floathard --disable-ffmpeg --disable-netplay --enable-udev --disable-sdl --disable-pulse --disable-oss --disable-rgui --enable-lakka
It gives the following error:

make
CC input/linuxraw_input.c
CC input/linuxraw_joypad.c
CC git_version.c
CC frontend/frontend.c
frontend/frontend.c: In function ‘main_entry_decide’:
frontend/frontend.c:91:4: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘main_entry_iterate_content_nomenu’ [-Wimplicit-function-declaration]
frontend/frontend.c: At top level:
frontend/frontend.c:110:12: error: static declaration of ‘main_entry_iterate_content_nomenu’ follows non-static declaration
frontend/frontend.c:91:11: note: previous implicit declaration of ‘main_entry_iterate_content_nomenu’ was here
frontend/frontend.c: In function ‘main_exit’:
frontend/frontend.c:245:4: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘rarch_perf_log’ [-Wimplicit-function-declaration]
frontend/frontend.c: At top level:
frontend/frontend.c:60:12: warning: ‘main_entry_iterate_shutdown’ defined but not used [-Wunused-function]
frontend/frontend.c:110:12: warning: ‘main_entry_iterate_content_nomenu’ defined but not used [-Wunused-function]
Makefile:103: recipe for target 'obj-unix/frontend/frontend.o' failed
make: *** [obj-unix/frontend/frontend.o] Error 1
It is normal?
No problem with RGUI enabled.

(by the way the option --disable-bsv_movie is now obsolete).

Vanfanel

Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:38 am

I've never tried to disable RGUI myself (after all, it doesn't work with the vg backend, which I use), but maybe you need to enable Lakka to disable RGUI.
Ask in the #retroarch channel on freenode, they're always nice guys.

Thanks for the bsv_movie tip, removed from the original tutorial :)

edtrud

Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:10 pm

To add the mupen64plus-libretro what do i need? something like this?

git clone https://github.com/libretro/mupen64plus-libretro.git
make
mv *.so ~/retro
and how would i run the emulator with rom after?

chasedavid91

Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:16 am

I am following the tutorial. My experience with Linux is minimal. It seems to be working but I am having an issue with the third step: configuring, you know? It says: "makefile:l: configure.mk: no such file or directory" ... "run . /configure again." it notes that it is error 1

Am I missing something? How do I fix it or get past this? Thanks

AmigaGamer

Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:30 pm

attempting to build this for raspberry pi 2 with a few optimisations

GCC 4.8 installed

export CC=gcc-4.8
export GCC=g++-4.8
CFLAGS="-mcpu=cortex-a7 -mfpu=neon-vfpv4 -mfloat-abi=hard -O2"

retroarch
./configure --disable-x11 --enable-floathard --enable-neon --disable-ffmpeg --disable-netplay --enable-udev --disable-sdl --disable-pulse --disable-oss

Getting the following error

CC git_version.c
CC audio/audio_utils.c
audio/audio_utils.c: In function ‘audio_convert_init_simd’:
audio/audio_utils.c:404:4: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘rarch_get_cpu_features’ [-Wimplicit-function-declaration]
    unsigned cpu = rarch_get_cpu_features();
    ^
audio/audio_utils.c:405:43: error: ‘RETRO_SIMD_NEON’ undeclared (first use in this function)
    audio_convert_s16_to_float_arm = cpu & RETRO_SIMD_NEON ?
                                           ^
audio/audio_utils.c:405:43: note: each undeclared identifier is reported only once for each function it appears in
Makefile:96: recipe for target 'obj-unix/audio/audio_utils.o' failed
make: *** [obj-unix/audio/audio_utils.o] Error 1
any retroarch experts with an idea on this?

steev

Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:51 pm

I ran into that, too.

Edit audio/audio_utils.c and add a:

#include "../performance.h"
See comment about it here:
https://github.com/libretro/RetroArch/c ... nt-9613123

AmigaGamer

Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:13 pm

steev wrote:I ran into that, too.

Edit audio/audio_utils.c and add a:

#include "../performance.h"
See comment about it here:
https://github.com/libretro/RetroArch/c ... nt-9613123
Well found steev, thank you very much

Neil Munday

Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:31 pm

Yep, that was my comment from last night on GitHub ;-)

Hopefully they will revert the change soon, if not I'll raise it as an issue instead.

I've managed to get all the emulators that PES supports running under a version of Arch Linux for Arm7.

I haven't quite got mupen64plus to compile yet (it's on the to-do-list).

I'll update PES' repo with my build scripts for the Raspberry Pi 2 once I've finished with them in case they are of use to anyone else. Hopefully there will be an Arm7 version of PES released soon :D

Happy compiling!

Cheers,

Neil.
http://pes.mundayweb.com -> The Pi Entertainment System for all your gaming needs

welshy

Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:43 pm

Hi Guys!
Haven't got round to RetroArch as yet, but have posted some details on Mupen64plus-rpi and Pcsx_ReARMed (Binaries). Please let me know of the results so I can update the Emulation on the Raspberry Pi Thread

Thanks
"The list of things I have heard now contains everything!"

steev

Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:22 pm

These are the RetroArch cores I've tested so far
  • Genesis Plus GX: Runs great
  • SNES9X-Next: Full speed in most games, but struggled a bit with Super FX games like Yoshi's Island
  • CATSFC: This one does better with Super FX games, I was able to get pretty much full speed in Yoshi's Island
  • PocketSNES: Runs great
  • PCSX_reARMed: Runs great.
  • PicoDrive (32X): Struggled a bit with Virtua Fighter 32X (still very playable), but other games I tried ran great.
  • Desmume: Too slow
I couldn't get these cores to work:
  • Mupen64Plus (black screen with audio was the best I could get)
  • PPSSPP (Couldn't even get it to compile)
I also tried a few shaders from https://github.com/libretro/common-shaders and these worked pretty well:
  • scanline.cg
  • mudlord/oldtv.cg
  • mudlord/emboss.cg
  • mudlord/noise-mudlord.cg
  • crt/crt-hyllian-lq.cg
Note: these need to be converted to GLSL shaders to use with the Pi

Overall it's a huge improvement over the Pi 1 for emulation

welshy

Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:45 pm

steev
Cheers! Will add your findings to the Emulation Thread.
"The list of things I have heard now contains everything!"

cacophony555

Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:19 am

Vanfanel wrote:cacophony555: You don't have to run configure scripts for any RetroArch cores. They come in "ready to build" form!
Sorry to dig up an old sub-thread, but I really want clarification on this before I go through this process again for my Pi 2 :D
In your instructions in the first post you state to run configure for the cores themselves. Maybe they're just typos, but they are part of the instructions for both picodrive and pcengine.

dennmtr

Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:08 pm

after compile retroarch binary gives me a segmenation fault. there is nth i can do always the same

AmigaGamer

Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:27 pm

dennmtr wrote:after compile retroarch binary gives me a segmenation fault. there is nth i can do always the same
https://github.com/libretro/RetroArch/issues/1454

dennmtr

Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:36 pm

i dont know how to manage commits in console, but i edited the code manually and its ok now, some other new problems,

1)fixed
2)fixed
3)fixed

completely remove pulse or else you ll not only have issues with sound but retroarch general freezes/issues.

working cores : fceumm (excellent, expect some times emulation is very fast, fix forcing x1), gambatte (excellent), genesis plus gx (very slow/sound issues), pico drive (excellent), gpsp (very good with some issues), imame4all (excellent), pcsx (compiled but never used), pocket-snes (very good with some sound issues, and no inputs), prboom (excellent), tyquake (excellent, but u cannot maximize core resolution), stella (cannot compile, using older core, excellent), snes9x_next (not working, very slow).

very hard to config, i am trying to figure whats going on with input. every key i press while playing games, X listens too, i close retroarch frontend and i see apps opened, text on terminal and what ever.................mad

AmigaGamer

Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:43 pm

Theres a new port of FBA to libretro (libretro-fba recent mainline version).

following the forums i notice the developer is testing on a raspberry pi 2 and has included it in the makefile. I already have the older "fba-libretro" working quite well on the PI2. Right now performance is slower in the new build but ill be keeping a close eye out for improvements.

https://github.com/libretro/libretro-fba
http://libretro.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2120

i built with: make -f makefile.libretro CC="gcc-4.8" CXX="g++-4.8" platform=rpi2

AmigaGamer

Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:00 pm

Vanfanel,

I see in the libretro/retroarch repository youve been working on native Dispmanx driver. Very good to see!
Is this working yet, and does it show any improvements over using previous egl gles backend in your guide?

Recommended build instructions for rpi1/rpi2 would be cool so we can all help test.

AmigaGamer

Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:19 pm

I've been trying the dispmanx build by compiling:

./configure --disable-x11 --enable-floathard --enable-neon --disable-ffmpeg --enable-udev --disable-sdl --disable-pulse --disable-oss --enable-dispmanx
then setting video_driver = "dispmanx" in retroarch.cfg

Menus are working and emulation starts fine on all the cores ive tested, but after a few minutes of play the screen freezes and i have to ssh into the machine to kill retroarch or reboot.

Ive tried this with my previous working config, and also with a clean install(default config)- same problem.
Is this an issue with the driver or do i need to change something else in the config?

AmigaGamer

Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:15 pm

Dispmanx working much nicer in the latest commit.
Been playing a few hours now without a crash

Thanks Vanfanel!

steev

Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:00 pm

Interesting, did you notice a performance difference vs. EGL?

AmigaGamer

Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:11 pm

steev

i havent tested enough to compare performance really, one issue i notice is the FPS overlay doesnt seem to show on dispmanx driver

Ive spent most time messing with the videocores scaler modes. been looking at "nearest neighbour" mode with some old mame games and atari 2600.
try adding scaler_kernel=8 to /boot/config.txt when trying the dispmanx driver.

Games will look a lot more blockier upscaled but much less blurred than the default mode.

Vanfanel

Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:54 pm

I've updated the instructions on the first post to use Dispmanx instead of GLES/EGL or VG.
No more lockups with my driver.
Also, performance with Dispmanx driver is better than GLES/VG by a 10-15%, just run TOP while you play some games.

cacophony555

Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:57 pm

Since getting the Pi 2 Ive been using RetroPie. If I wanted to try retroarch with Dispmanx could I just modify the local params from the retroarch setup script to pass the suggested parameters:
https://github.com/petrockblog/RetroPie ... troarch.sh
?

Return to “Gaming”