welshy

Re: PiFBA released - Final Burn Alpha arcade emulator

Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:47 pm

californiapants
Welcome to the Froum. I believe RetroPie contains two version of FBA, PiFBA and the RetroArch FBA Core (which is inferior). The retropie configuration file has to be altered to run PiFBA via Emulation Station (the Front End GUI). Check the RetroPie Forum, it should have delais on how to change the version run.

Forum Link - http://blog.petrockblock.com/forums/for ... ect-forum/
"The list of things I have heard now contains everything!"

antiriad

Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:20 pm

I think I've found a bug: when I try to load "kof2000.zip" (the King of Fighters 2000) fba2x quits with a "segmentation fault".
I'd like to write to Pudding, but maybe someone could test it also?

nekosaur

Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:07 pm

@welshy

Yup it does seem like it's monitor dependant. I plugged the Pi into my projector instead of my PC monitor and the blanking disappeared almost completely. I still had one instance when in the service menu where the screen went black, but other than that it was perfect.

That's annoying

KitchUK

Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:50 pm

antiriad
Try taking the kof2000.zip and placing all the files from inside it and placing them into the kof2000n.zip, along with the unibios. Then it should work. That's how I got it to work.

antiriad

Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:26 am

KitchUK wrote:antiriad
Try taking the kof2000.zip and placing all the files from inside it and placing them into the kof2000n.zip, along with the unibios. Then it should work. That's how I got it to work.
Hi and thank you for your suggestion, I'll check this way.
BTW: are you able to use Unibios in PiFBA? I have unibios inside neogeo.zip, but pressing A + B + C during Neogeo boot I can't enter in the Unibios menu... thank you.

KitchUK

Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:49 am

antiriad
Yes I use the unibios. I also have the same problem where I cannot open the service menu of neo geo games. I have tried numerous different bios's and configurations and nothing works, all I get is a black screen. If you use PiFBA with CPS 1/2 roms it works fine and you are able to bring up the service menu. This seems to just be a problem with neo geo. I read somewhere a while back in a thread that pudding knew of the problem and PiFBA is sending the request to the bios to bring up the menu but it just doesnt work. Maybe he will look into it at some point (along with other minor bug fixes)? :?: :)

antiriad

Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:12 am

KitchUK wrote:antiriad
Yes I use the unibios. I also have the same problem where I cannot open the service menu of neo geo games. I have tried numerous different bios's and configurations and nothing works, all I get is a black screen. If you use PiFBA with CPS 1/2 roms it works fine and you are able to bring up the service menu. This seems to just be a problem with neo geo. I read somewhere a while back in a thread that pudding knew of the problem and PiFBA is sending the request to the bios to bring up the menu but it just doesnt work. Maybe he will look into it at some point (along with other minor bug fixes)? :?: :)
Actually I CAN access Neogeo service menu, but not Unibios menu...

KitchUK

Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:29 am

So you can use the standard bios with PiFBA and the service menu works! What files are in the bios you use for the stnadard bios if you wouldnt mind letting me know?

nekosaur

Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:09 pm

I had to recompile PiFBA to listen for E+SELECT to enter service mode instead of E+F+SELECT to get it to work. With the original key binding nothing happened when i pressed the buttons. Unibios is working for me, I enter with A+B+C

antiriad

Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:51 pm

@Nekosaur
...could you share (listing) the content of your Neogeo.zip?
Thank you!

@KitchUK
I will list the content of my neogeo.zip soon, but maybe that of Nekosaur is better, 'cause I'm not able to load Unibios. ;)

KitchUK

Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:59 pm

nekosaur wrote:I had to recompile PiFBA to listen for E+SELECT to enter service mode instead of E+F+SELECT to get it to work. With the original key binding nothing happened when i pressed the buttons. Unibios is working for me, I enter with A+B+C
You can access Neo Geo Service Menus with Unibios!! Please list the contents of the bios you use. :D

nekosaur

Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:01 pm

For PiFBA you have to rename the unibios rom of your choosing to asia-s3.rom and replace the existing one in neogeo.zip

KitchUK

Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:15 am

nekosaur wrote:For PiFBA you have to rename the unibios rom of your choosing to asia-s3.rom and replace the existing one in neogeo.zip
Thank you. I'll try this tonight. :)

KitchUK

Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:33 pm

Ugghhh. I've tried everything. I still cannot get any bios service menu to work with neo geo games. I've renamed all versions of the uni bios to 'asia-s3.rom' and when I enter the command for service menu (that works for CPS games) all I get is a black screen. I just don't understand what I'm doing wrong.

bidinou

Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:28 pm

Hi !

Do you guys know if anyone is carrying on the port ? I'm quite sad to see there are no more updates. It reached a very good state, but there are quite a few issues remaining. (bugs in the menu, some stuff cannot be configured, and also the blurry rendering).

It could be perfect :-)

Cheers !

pomme

Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:53 pm

I'm loving Final Burn Alpha! Everything is running just fine but I've run into a slight problem.

I am using a wireless X-Box 360 for Windows controller. In order to get the D-Pad working with another emulator (MAME4Pi) I am adding

Code: Select all

--dpad-as-button
to the xboxdrv initialization in /etc/rc.local. This worked, but in PiFBA I am now unable to assign values to the D-Pad.

The controller settings seem to only accept axis values for UD/LR. Since I want to use my D-Pad in PiFBA I'd like to be able to enter single button values for each direction.

I've tried this with no luck;

Code: Select all

LEFT_1=2
RIGHT_1=3
UP_1=0
DOWN_1=1
(really I'd like to use D-Pad or Analog Stick)

I've noticed that hat-switch support was added back in October but I haven't found any specific documentation on it. Am I doing something wrong? Is there a specific syntax that it's looking for in the config that I am not using? Is what I am wanting even possible?

I should note that the D-Pad worked fine before I switched the registration from axis-type to button type. Thanks to whomever reads this and is able to respond!

welshy

Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:34 pm

pomme
Welcome to the Forum! The --dpad-as-button option sends button instead of axis events. Adding --dpad-only to the rc.local script (following --trigger-as-button) forces the use of the D-Pad (ignoring both analogue sticks), without having to re configure the emulator. I haven't tested this using every emulator available but it seems to work successfully with most thus far. So the rc.local script would read -

xboxdrv --trigger-as-button --dpad-only --wid 0 --led 2 --deadzone 4000 --silent & sleep 1

I haven't tried to use BOTH Analogue & D-Pad at the same time (as you have indicated this may not be possible) but the Xbox Drivers Doc may shed more light on the subject and can be found Here - http://pingus.seul.org/~grumbel/xboxdrv/xboxdrv.html

PiFBA 'hat-switch support' you referenced works by reading the D-Pad Axis correctly (it didn't before), so changing the axis in the config from 0 & 1 to 4 & 5 should now also work, but again, its either, not or (Analogue or D-Pad).

pomme

Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:58 pm

welshy wrote:Adding --dpad-only to the rc.local script (following --trigger-as-button) forces the use of the D-Pad (ignoring both analogue sticks), without having to re configure the emulator.
I see. Well, using the D-Pad in PiFBA isn't so important to me that I would disable the analog sticks altogether. I do like being able to use both in MAME4Pi, for example; using Analog sticks for Robotron then D-Pad for 4-way joystick games like Pac-Man. It works perfectly.

Also, I'd like to eventually incorporate PSX and N64 into the system as the emulators improve, and the analog sticks would be needed for those games.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for D-Pad-as-button support in a future PiFBA update, but in the meantime I'll just use the Analog stick.

bidinou

Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:45 pm

Hi everyone !

Any news about further development ? I'm pretty sad to see such a promising emulator being abandoned..

Apart from a couple of issues, etc. I still couldn't find a wait to get a proper picture. For some reason, it looks MUCH blurrier and difficult to stand, on the same screen, than any MAME version on my regular PC, even when not using any kind of filter apart from the bilinear filtering. The same applies to MAME4ALL (same picture problems as pifba).

As scanlines do not work properly along with filtering, I didn't find any satisfactory solution. It seems it doesn't like my monitor resolution (1280x1024). The picture with scanlines, or with scanlines and without filtering, seems to be "eaten" (all lines do not seem to have the same size) - scrollings seem to "wiggle". It's probably where my problem comes from, I'm sure it can be worked around somehow as, as told before, it looks perfectly fine on my PC under MAME.

For instance, under MAME, there is an option to display the picture at a multiple of the original resolution, which prevents distortions.

What about you guys ? Any way to improve the rendering (for people who do not have a standard 1080p screen) ?

cacophony555

Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:01 pm

Have you tried switching the resolution on you pi?
(http://elinux.org/RPiconfig#Video_mode_options)

You could try putting into VGA mode using:

tvservice -e "CEA 1"
fbset -xres 640 -yres 480 -vxres 640 -vyres 480

Or maybe pick one of these DMT modes (if you're using a computer monitor):
hdmi_mode=4 640x480 60Hz
hdmi_mode=5 640x480 72Hz
hdmi_mode=6 640x480 75Hz
hdmi_mode=7 640x480 85Hz

zzediker

Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:10 am

hello all!
i've got a (probably foolish) question for everyone for those using gamepads:

how do you configure the 'insert coin' button? are you also using the keyboard? ive looked through the readme as well as the fba2x config file, i'm just not seeing it.

its probably something easy i just keep missing

thanks for any advise!

Jessie

Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:17 am

PiFBA defaults the select button to insert coins and start+select to exit. Or at least it always has when I've used it.

welshy

Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:42 am

zzediker wrote:hello all!
i've got a (probably foolish) question for everyone for those using gamepads:
'There is no such thing as a stupid question, only a stupid answer!'
The fba config can be altered to whichever button you wish, but by default:

Keyboard:
START_1=13 (Enter) Start Player 1
SELECT_1=9 (Tab) Add Coins

The full list of SDL Keyboard codes can be found Here - http://forum.fobby.net/index.php?t=msg&goto=2082&
They can also be found in /usr/include/SDL/SDL_keysym.h

Joystick:
START_1=9 (Joypad Button) Start Player 1
SELECT_1=8 (Joypad Button) Add Coins

The buttons can be found by running jstest (download sudo apt-get joystick to get the package, then run jstest) which will give the codes for each axis/button. Generally 8 & 9 will be back/select (depending on you Pad) and Start. As Jessie reports pressing both at the same time will exit/return to Menu.
Last edited by welshy on Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

zzediker

Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:16 pm

thanks a million guys! that helps a ton!

KitchUK

Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:02 am

I have a really weird problem with a couple of Neo Geo games. For example Art of fighting 3 and Metal Slug 3. Sometimes the music is noticeably slowed down an stuttered and other times it is fine. I understand that some games had slowdown but this seems to be different. It's almost as if the pi cannot handle it (sometimes). I have my pi set to 1ghz with 128 meg for the gpu and the cpu scaling governed is set to on demand. So strange how sometimes the music is fine. :?:

Return to “Gaming”