clint westwood

Re: R-Pi Massively Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Games (MM

Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:47 am

Hi guys.
Some online role playing games already exist for the Pi. Try Mangband and tomenet, two ascii online roguelike. However, i dont know the maximum capacity of game servers. Not sure they are massively multiplayer :) (http://www.tomenet.net/, https://mangband.org/)

paddyg

Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:59 am

That's it: we should simply specify pre-babel formats. All images, 3D models and other support files are to be exchanged in Akkadian cuneiform. Actually, if the LORD had stayed where he was and looked at Escher's drawings instead of coming down to inspect the building works in person, we would probably all still speak Akkadian (and we would have learned some practical information about the crushing strength of brick)

The demos have definitely evolved rather than being the result of Intelligent Design. They randomly contain examples of how to do the same thing in different ways! Here's a recent attempt at ordering them by complexity.

The main issue I would foresee for your fly-through is the scale difference which leads you straight into transitioning from one scale to another and loading resources in background threads. There might be four scales: 1 light year, 1 astronomic unit, 1 million m, 1 m (1e16 : 1e11: 1e6: 1) and though the Shape.scale() method could cope with fitting an Earth sized sphere onto the 1m scale the difference in hight between middle and edges of the equatorial faces would be 60,000m so positioning would be a nightmare. Maybe the tidiest transition would be to alpha blend from one to the next.

For 3D model format I suggest sticking to the wavefront .obj as lots of programs can export these (and we've already got the code to parse them into pi3d!) and image formats .png or .jpeg as these definitely work with python imaging on the pi (pil or pillow)
also https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en-GB&fromgroups=#!forum/pi3d

Jim Manley
Location: SillyCon Valley, California, and Powell, Wyoming, USA, plus The Universe

Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:38 pm

paddyg wrote:That's it: we should simply specify pre-babel formats. All images, 3D models and other support files are to be exchanged in Akkadian cuneiform.
Ha! Yes! Of course, why didn't I think of that? [Mel Brooks as Moses]: "I bring to you from God, The Fifteen [CRASH! as he drops a tablet] ... I bring to you the Ten, TEN Commandments!" :lol:
paddyg wrote:The demos have definitely evolved rather than being the result of Intelligent Design. They randomly contain examples of how to do the same thing in different ways! Here's a recent attempt at ordering them by complexity.
I'm not complaining mind you, as these are much more useful than what is typically provided for free, and even in many commercial offerings.
paddyg wrote:The main issue I would foresee for your fly-through is the scale difference which leads you straight into transitioning from one scale to another and loading resources in background threads. There might be four scales: 1 light year, 1 astronomic unit, 1 million m, 1 m (1e16 : 1e11: 1e6: 1) and though the Shape.scale() method could cope with fitting an Earth sized sphere onto the 1m scale the difference in height between middle and edges of the equatorial faces would be 60,000m so positioning would be a nightmare. Maybe the tidiest transition would be to alpha blend from one to the next.
Fortunately, the astronomical (pun fully intended) scale of how far apart things are in space means that we don't need to display more than one star, planet, moon, asteroid, comet, etc., in any detail at one time. The shot of Earth from the Cassini Saturn orbiter through the planet's rings a few months ago shows just how tiny and far away our "pale blue dot" (as Carl Sagan noted) really is from the gas giants (at least 1.8 billion miles from Saturn). BTW, I've been playing around with the Points you guys provided to create galaxies so that they can be navigated by spinning and flying through them, and while 100,000+ Points isn't quite the same as the ~100,000,000,000 stars in a typical galaxy such as the Milky Way, it's "close enough for engineering approximations", as the mathematician vs. engineer joke goes. AIUI, we only have accurate enough distance information on a few hundred thousand stars to need to worry about their relative 3-D positioning, so everything else can just be plastered in an image file that's wrapped around the inner surface of a sphere at a radius of infinity minus del (the largest distance that can be represented in the number of floating-point bits available). I've been able to use color shades on Points to make smaller or more distant stars appear with appropriate brightness.
paddyg wrote:For 3D model format I suggest sticking to the wavefront .obj as lots of programs can export these (and we've already got the code to parse them into pi3d!) and image formats .png or .jpeg as these definitely work with python imaging on the pi (pil or pillow)
Yep, and I need to keep collecting freeware objects either in Wavefront, JPEG, PNG, etc., formats or something that can be transformed into those formats freely.
The best things in life aren't things ... but, a Pi comes pretty darned close! :D
"Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire." -- W.B. Yeats
In theory, theory & practice are the same - in practice, they aren't!!!

RustyBL

Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:10 pm

I've had several years of experience producing low poly models as add ons for a game called blockland, I am not all the best at texturing and animating in blender but I can sure as hell learn, this project looks great and I really wouldn't like it to die. Here is an example of my more recent low-poly work: http://p3d.in/1ktl7 .

Please feel free to contact me, my skype name is RustyXA.

AJB2K3

Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:46 pm

What ever happens, I would like two make two suggestions.

1) Player data stored on SD card or backup usb drive
2) As there are alot of Android/G+ users out there, backup copy's of user data auto forwarded to the GDrive accounts.

I would add icloud but not haveing many good experiences with the new iCloud system. :cry:
Back in the old days, we were smarter then the technology.
Nowadays technology makes us look like villages fools in front of the children!

RustyBL

Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:50 pm

Surely if it was online then the player data would have to be stored on some sort of server so players couldn't edit it to get good weapons or levels or money or whatever.

paddyg

Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:52 pm

Yes, I was imagining something like a souped up version of the php/mysql system I used in the DogFight demo. If things became truly MM then we might have to look at something cleverer.

WRT blender; you can use whatever you want that can save as wavefront .obj I think it's a reasonable standard standard.

AJB2K3

Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:54 pm

RustyBL wrote:Surely if it was online then the player data would have to be stored on some sort of server so players couldn't edit it to get good weapons or levels or money or whatever.
It could be encrypted but that would defeat the purpose of the pie!
But I'm actually talking of a backup copy that would have the main stats corrected by the central server.
One option would be to set a fixed set of stats based on player levers and programmers could only develop items that fit within these predefined criteria.

One alternative is an arena map where player dev stuff can only be used.
Back in the old days, we were smarter then the technology.
Nowadays technology makes us look like villages fools in front of the children!

paddyg

Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:09 pm

After not getting round to anything on this I have at last cobbled together the start of background thread loading system. Here's
hqdefault.jpg
hqdefault.jpg (8.62 KiB) Viewed 2073 times
an outline demo that I thought could be used for a rowing machine (to make workouts less boring). It only loads ElevationMaps with scattered other models but has the potential to be expanded to include planets and objects representing other players.

One issue I found was that there's a bit of a pause while the background thread loads something, I don't know if this would be better or worse if the bits were coming over httprequest.

The code is in github.com/tipam/pi3d/pi3d/util/Scenery.py with the demo in github.com/pi3d/pi3d_demos/Scenery.py both develop branches.

Still quite a lot to do but it's a start.

Return to “Gaming”