Molo

Gamecube Pi-table

Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:46 pm

Hi forum!

I have been thinking of making a portable gamecube for ages now, but I always had the same problem. I couldn't find a cheap gamecube. Then I had an idea to make a Raspberry Pi portable system that allowed me to play GameCube "Carts" (SD cards with the emulator set on to boot up automatically and load the game on the cart). I know it sounds a bit weird but I liked the idea of a separate cart for each game as it would make the booting up seem more succinct, instead of having to go through a long list of games each time. I would love to have it all planned out before hand, so I will upload my plans slowly over time, and if you guys could help/point out my obvious errors that would be so helpful.

j0z0r

Re: Gamecube Pi-table

Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:45 pm

I don't think Gamecube emulation is supported right now(could be wrong), but otherwise it's a decent idea. I've wanted to follow in Ben Heckendorn's footsteps and portable-ize some consoles, prolly SNES, N64, and Gamecube. Gamecubes are pretty cheap these days (less than an Rpi, I scored mine for $20), so why not just use the original hardware? Also if you've never heard of Ben Heck, http://benheck.com/

Molo

Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:01 pm

Thanks man, I was surprised to get a response so early on. :D
I really love watching the Ben Heck Show, it's kind of where I got my inspiration from. I also really wanted to get a Pi and have a good fiddle around with that.
After looking on other topics I see that you're right and for now the GameCube isn't supported.
I had an idea to turn it into an all-in-one retro emulator, using the same principles.
Thoughts on this would be viewed as very helpful.

killer1390

Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:31 am

You won't ever be able to emulate the Gamecube on the pi. The pi just doesn't have enough processing power to do that.

emcsquirreled

Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:54 pm

The Pi will supprise you with what it can do. Never say never... ;) http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 56&t=13161
Linux -- The operating system with a CLUE (Command Line User Environment)
--
FTC Team 4508
E=MC Squirreled
emcsquirreled.github.com

Toad King

Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:01 pm

emcsquirreled wrote:The Pi will supprise you with what it can do. Never say never... ;) http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 56&t=13161
The Raspberry Pi will never be able to emulate the GameCube at anything resembling a playable speed, even with huge breakthroughs in GC emulation. The GameCube on its own already is more powerful than the Raspberry Pi.

AlaskaSkier

Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:34 am

hi guys, just a correction, gamecube emulation is supported, i know this by doing a little bit of it myself and going back to power, the pi is definitely an underpowered machine for this, check out dolphin, its a gamecube and wii emulator that you can attach wii and gamecube controllers to, you would need one heck of a machine to run it though, i would recomend an i7 and dedicated graphics card as my laptop gets 5fps on high preformance and it has an i5 and good graphics

Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:06 pm

the gamecube is more powerful than the pi to start with. You could never emulate it on the pi.

As a general rule, in order to emulate platform X you need a machine 10 times as powerful as platform X is.

So to emulate a gamecube you need something 10 times more powerful.

I run dolphin on a 3.4ghz triple core AMD athlon 2 with 4gb of RAM and a GTX460 GPU. Not the fastest machine in the world but certainly no slouch and more than capable for gaming. Dolphin usually achieves 97% emulation speed on a gamecube. About 70 for wii.

ninjapenguin120

Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:36 am

Alaska, are you seriously suggesting a freaking i7 for a GameCube emulator? You wouldn't get extra performance going from an i3 to an i5 on NGC! Your problem is your GPU. It's great that you have discrete graphics, but if you don't know what kind of graphics card you have, that probably means it's pretty crap.

As for what GPU I suggest, I'm not sure what you would need, but I can get pretty good performance on my laptop with a GT 635 (not GTX, GTs are much less powerful), and I have great framerates with pretty much no lag.

ASBaumgarten

Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:08 pm

Toad King wrote:
emcsquirreled wrote:The Pi will supprise you with what it can do. Never say never... ;) http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 56&t=13161
The Raspberry Pi will never be able to emulate the GameCube at anything resembling a playable speed, even with huge breakthroughs in GC emulation. The GameCube on its own already is more powerful than the Raspberry Pi.
Would it be possible to use cluster/parallel computing with a few Raspberry Pi's to get something that could emulate the GameCube games?

Jessie

Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:46 am

ASBaumgarten wrote:
Toad King wrote:
Would it be possible to use cluster/parallel computing with a few Raspberry Pi's to get something that could emulate the GameCube games?
No the latency between the pi would be too high.

barefoot138

Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:01 pm

No the latency between the pi would be too high.
What part of the chip would determine the latency?

Hiradur

Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:29 am

The NIC, networking stack of the OS, switches etc. all have an influence on latency. I don't know if any real time game has ever been run on a cluster (if someone knows, please tell me). Keep in mind that the software needs to be adjusted for clusters as well.

GizmoTheGreen

Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:20 pm

your best bet for portable gamecube gaming right now is either nvidia shield tablet or the Nexus 9. nexus 9 recommended alot of work being done on arm 64bit recompiler with very promising results. (bonus for 4:3 aspect ratio for gc games)

NicoHood

Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:33 pm

How does it look with the new Raspberry Pi2? Does it have enough power to run gamecube games? N64 works fluently, but what about gamecube? Any information about that?

toxibunny

Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:44 pm

not a chance.
note: I may or may not know what I'm talking about...

brooksyx

Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:59 pm

NicoHood wrote:How does it look with the new Raspberry Pi2? Does it have enough power to run gamecube games? N64 works fluently, but what about gamecube? Any information about that?

The rumors I heard is that it should be able to emulate the xbox one and PS4 too :roll:

KitchUK

Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:05 pm

brooksyx wrote:
NicoHood wrote:How does it look with the new Raspberry Pi2? Does it have enough power to run gamecube games? N64 works fluently, but what about gamecube? Any information about that?

The rumors I heard is that it should be able to emulate the xbox one and PS4 too :roll:
I heard it does 4K with the oculus rift. ;)

BillyDHowell

This info saddens me...

Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:00 pm

I've been hoping to find a PS2, XBox, or Gamecube emulator. I thought, "Surely the Gamescrew isn't too powerful." The ultimate goal was to find a way to play Gladius on the RPi2. I'm looking for a first project, and there are plenty of how to build an arcade machine with RPi2 walk-throughs. Oh well. Back to the drawing board.

Jtw86

Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:03 pm

What about with the Pi 3? I am new to this stuff and wondering if its possible so I wouldn't be wasting my time on trying to do this.

Raider2747

Thu May 11, 2017 11:58 pm

Well, on the official RetroPie site, it says that the Raspberry PI 3 and the Raspberry PI 3 Model B can run GameCube games. Go check it out. I really want to play Melee and the GameCube greats. I'm getting a Raspberry Pi 3 Model B very soon.

welshy

Fri May 12, 2017 11:08 am

Raider2747
Welcome to the Forum. RetroPie for the Raspberry Pi3 its won't run GameCube games, its far too under powered I would guess its Dolphin which doesn't have an ARM version as far as I'm aware. Perhaps you saw mention of it on the 'Dopplegager' USA Website which is in no way connected to the RetroPie Project? They are asking for legal help on this subject.
Link - https://retropie.org.uk/2017/02/legal-help-needed/

Update - My error I missed it, it is on the Official WKI also stating its x86 ONLY
Last edited by welshy on Fri May 12, 2017 12:23 pm, edited 4 times in total.
"The list of things I have heard now contains everything!"

rpiMike

Fri May 12, 2017 11:39 am

GameCube emulation uses the Dolphin Emulator in RetroPie. This is only for x86 builds unfortunately not Raspberry Pi as stated in the Wiki.

https://github.com/retropie/retropie-se ... i/GameCube

Return to “Gaming”