kadams2929

Re: MAME4ALL for Pi

Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:52 pm

The question of updates raises a very strong point.

What is the process for updates? (I'm guessing just download and install another copy from the Pi Store). Will the update wipe out the ROMs located in their folder?

yottskry

Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:05 pm

I'm finding Mame4All supports fewer roms than advanceMame and some of them have no sound. Is it something to do with my set up? Also, has anyone got Bubble Bobble working? I can't find a single BB rom set that works. Sorry to keep asking about Bubble Bobble, but running it is one of my main reasons for getting a Pi!

FortyRock

Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:17 pm

Re updates, why not get the from git (the zip file)?

Re supported games, the code is from circa 2000, which is why it support less. And also why it's usually faster (less bloated).

kalehrl

Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:11 pm

yottskry wrote:I'm finding Mame4All supports fewer roms than advanceMame and some of them have no sound. Is it something to do with my set up? Also, has anyone got Bubble Bobble working? I can't find a single BB rom set that works. Sorry to keep asking about Bubble Bobble, but running it is one of my main reasons for getting a Pi!
I tried 3 versions and they all worked.
Check your pm messages.

pudding

Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:07 am

It's best if you use the Pi Store version as that will have the most up-to-date version and it will be installed correctly. Upgrading is easy, simply run Pi Store, look at the "My Library" and it will detect there is a new version. Simply download the update and install it. It doesn't delete anything but simply updates the files.
Author of MAME4ALL for Pi, PiSNES, PiFBA & PiMenu

pudding

Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:10 am

Version 1.2 released:
* Fixed the funky colour palette problems.
* Now supports ten (previously six) joystick buttons.
* Added configuration file (mame.cfg) support.

Get it from the Pi Store.
Author of MAME4ALL for Pi, PiSNES, PiFBA & PiMenu

FortyRock

Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:35 pm

pudding wrote:Version 1.2 released:
* Fixed the funky colour palette problems.
* Now supports ten (previously six) joystick buttons.
* Added configuration file (mame.cfg) support.

Get it from the Pi Store.
Will be sure to check this out.

On the side of features:
- is there a kiosk mode (i.e. way to disable the ESC key from exiting the emulator menu)?
- is there something native to do a "shutdown" (rather than just yanking the power and risking SD Card corruption)? Don't want to mount FS as read-only.

yottskry

Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:34 pm

Anyone else have an issue with no sound in certain games with Mame4All 1.2? This is compiled from source, by the way, I'm not a fan of the pi store. (Edit, I've tried the Pi Store version too, same issue) Two examples are Bubble Bobble and 1943. It seems to be anything that uses the DRZ80 for sound (although I could be wrong). I did notice the makefile is missing -lasound in the LIBS section. I've added it and I guess that part works as it gives me sound in a couple of other games (Aero Fighters).

Edit, I should add that when I press the tilde key to bring up the menu for brightness, gamma, volume, etc, the volume one always says 0Db and can't be adjusted.

etherbest

Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:31 am

Is the only way to get rid of the nag screens and warning to recompile ?

welshy

Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:40 am

yottskry & etherbest
I note you both say you are compiling MAME4ALL yourselves, what Source Code are you using?

yottskry
I assume you have removed Pulse Audio from your Wheezy Image? (This can cause problems with ALSA in MAME, and a Host of Other Programs/Emulators!)
"The list of things I have heard now contains everything!"

yottskry

Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:03 pm

I'm using the source from http://code.google.com/p/mame4all-pi/ and I don't appear to have pulseaudio installed (trying to apt-get remove it say it is not installed). I have also tried the version in the pi store and that also gives me no sound in some games. I suppose it's possible that version 0.37b of mame didn't support sound in certain games.

I get sound in a couple of games, but most games have no sound at all.

etherbest

Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:46 pm

@welshy,

Im not compiling, im using the latest version from the google code repo, just unzipped the 1.2 version.

welshy

Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:25 pm

yottskry
Ok, I don’t see the actual Source Code there (Only the Binary and associated Files) so I assume you are copying these as opposed to downloading from the Pi Store? I haven’t had any sound problem's with either method, any ROM, or any Wheezy Image. Perhaps you are not purging Pulse Audio (Any residual remaining Files could be causing the Issue)
i.e. sudo apt-get --purge remove pulseaudio

etherbest, OK read your Post

yottskry

Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:36 pm

@Welshy, no I'm compiling it from source (I'm a programmer by trade, I know the difference between copying binaries and compiling ;)) The source is available from git:

git clone https://code.google.com/p/mame4all-pi/

Didn't run into any problems compiling, but I have to say the performance and sound issue is no different from the binary version from Pi Store. I'm a bit stumped by this, and it's such a shame because the performance of bubble bobble is superb on Mame4All... apart from the lack of sound!

welshy

Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:43 pm

yottskry
No probs! Had to Ask! Seems odd, as I say have had NO ISSUES with sound on ANY Build/Binary/Pi Store version on ANY Wheezy Image? (But i haven't tried them ALL). As i previously stated there are A LOT of BAD DUMPS of Bobble Bubble floating around! Which other ROMS have you had Sound Issues with and which Wheezy Image are you using?

Martin3232

Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:36 pm

Downloaded 1.2 and its looking really good, speed good, compatibility with my USB Controller (interpreted as a joystick) is fantastic now I can configure upto 10 buttons. I dont have any sound issues but haven't tried bubble bobble I'll try and get hold a compatible version and report back.

etherbest

Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:30 pm

@welshy, What Im asking is:

Is there any option to add to mame.cfg to bypass the "warning and nag screens"? Maybe something like skip_warnings = true

Or can this only be done by compiling from source?

Hope it makes sense.

p.s. Where does it look for the mame.cfg by default? under cfg/ ?

welshy

Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:34 pm

etherbest
"Is there any option to add to mame.cfg to bypass the "warning and nag screens"? Maybe something like skip_warnings = true"

I haven't Compiled MAME4ALL from Source myself so cannot give a definitive answer. However, looking at the current mame.cfg there doesn't seem to be an available Option for this

"Where does it look for the mame.cfg by default? under cfg/ ?"

With MAME generally within the Main Folder, the cfg Folder within is usually reserved for Individual Game cfg's (i.e. If you change the Settings for a Game differing from the Default)

yottskry

Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:00 pm

Martin3232 wrote:Downloaded 1.2 and its looking really good, speed good, compatibility with my USB Controller (interpreted as a joystick) is fantastic now I can configure upto 10 buttons. I dont have any sound issues but haven't tried bubble bobble I'll try and get hold a compatible version and report back.
If you could, that would be much appreciated. I'm curious to know if the sound issue is universal or if it's with my setup.

yottskry

Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:02 pm

welshy wrote:yottskry
No probs! Had to Ask! Seems odd, as I say have had NO ISSUES with sound on ANY Build/Binary/Pi Store version on ANY Wheezy Image? (But i haven't tried them ALL). As i previously stated there are A LOT of BAD DUMPS of Bobble Bubble floating around! Which other ROMS have you had Sound Issues with and which Wheezy Image are you using?
I haven't tried that many games (I don't have the right romsets for such an early version of Mame) but Raiden and 1943 also don't have sound. I'm afraid I haven't tried too many games on it yet, but both of those games have sound in AdvanceMame (mame 0.94).

As for Wheezy Image... I'm using the one from the download page of this site, the link is: http://downloads.raspberrypi.org/images ... spbian.zip

FortyRock

Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:32 pm

yottskry wrote:
welshy wrote:yottskry
I haven't tried that many games (I don't have the right romsets for such an early version of Mame) but Raiden and 1943 also don't have sound. I'm afraid I haven't tried too many games on it yet, but both of those games have sound in AdvanceMame (mame 0.94).

As for Wheezy Image... I'm using the one from the download page of this site, the link is: http://downloads.raspberrypi.org/images ... spbian.zip
As an experiment, are you willing to try using the PiMame 0.5 image and then installing this?
PiMame image is at http://socialcase.com/raspberrypi/pimam ... g.beta.zip (don't worry about it being beta-that's just the PiMame code).

Also, what sound device are you using?

Lastly some roms need the corresponding samples.

I'll try something out later and will update this post.

UPDATE: I can't reproduce your problem (no issues with sound)
Last edited by FortyRock on Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

welshy

Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:57 am

Testing
Audio/Visual Output - HDMI

Wheezy Image’s - 2012-09-18-wheezy-raspbian (No changes Made), 2012-12-16-wheezy-raspbian (Pulse Audio Purged/Removed) & 2013-02-09-wheezy-raspbian (No Changes Made)

MAME - mame4all_pi_v1.0, mame4all_pi_v1.2 (Binaries, NOT Pi Store Downloads), AdvMAME 0.106, AdvMAME 0.94 (Self Compiled Source Code)

Hardware - Chinese Made 256MEG: Broadcom Chip; Samsung 225, UK Made 512MEG: Broadcom Chip; Samsung 240

Exhausting every conceivable combination of above Images/Software/Hardware I can Report NO ROMS having any Issues with Sound (Inc Bobble Bubble)

Conclusions
Unless you are using a separate USB Sound Card, I Conclude -
1. BAD DUMPs of the ROMS And/Or incorrect revisions
2. A Specific Issue with your revision of RPi Hardware

NB FortyRock, MAME usually requires Samples for Older Hardware (Boot Hill, GORF , Space Invaders, Zaxxon etc) where the Sound Boards were Analogue or Discrete Logic (Which it Cannot Emulate)

yottskry

Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:22 am

Cheers Welshy, I appreciate the effort you've gone to there.

I reckon it must be a bad rom dump then, as I'm not having issues with sound elsewhere. I'll have to have a look around and see if I can find some alternative roms.

I might also try Arch Linux as, following a minor mishap, I currently have no OS on my SD card anyway!

Thanks.

yottskry

Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:24 am

As an experiment, are you willing to try using the PiMame 0.5 image and then installing this?
PiMame image is at http://socialcase.com/raspberrypi/pimam ... g.beta.zip (don't worry about it being beta-that's just the PiMame code).

Also, what sound device are you using?

Lastly some roms need the corresponding samples.

I'll try something out later and will update this post.
Yep, I'm willing to try that, but isn't PiMame just AdvanceMame? I've had no problems getting AdvanceMame to run, it just simply isn't fast enough, whereas Mame4All runs perfectly fast but gives me issues with sound.

But I can certainly try PiMame 0.5 and compile Mame4All. Might be interesting to see what happens.

welshy

Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:13 pm

yottskry
You are correct in that assumption, the latest version of PiMAME is based on AdvMAME 1.2 (Which still uses the same Core as AdvMAME 0.106) so I doubt that will be any help. Although I have to be careful here in regards to what information I disclose (Due to Legalities), here is the Bobble Bubble (MAME CODE: bublbobl) ROM Set list which I used during Testing as it’s great to see such dedication for a classic Retro Game!

68705.bin
a71-25.41
a78-05.52
a78-06.51
a78-07.46
a78-08.37
a78-09.12
a78-10.13
a78-11.14
a78-12.15
a78-13.16
a78-14.17