etherbest

Re: MAME4ALL for Pi

Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:24 am

Silly question, I see that whenever I press 5, it favorites the game by making it green on the list, but how do I switch to display just favorites? Did I miss something?

yottskry

Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:41 am

pudding wrote:Released new version to the Pi Store with the "force_stereo" option for TVs with HDMI mono sound problems.
Just like to confirm that this does indeed fix the problems with sound that I've been having, although it's a little choppy (not terrible though) and that might be something more to do with my settings, firmware or alsa in general.

Anyway, thanks for your efforts!

pudding

Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:17 am

New version released with mouse support and other fixes.
Author of MAME4ALL for Pi, PiSNES, PiFBA & PiMenu

FortyRock

Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:21 pm

pudding wrote:New version released with mouse support and other fixes.
OMG thanks so much...works like a charm! You don't know how happy this makes me (software implementation for my cab now 100% complete)!

pudding

Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:48 pm

FortyRock, glad you enjoy it! How are you using a mouse in your cabinet?

FortyRock

Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:26 pm

pudding wrote:FortyRock, glad you enjoy it! How are you using a mouse in your cabinet?
I disassembled a Logitech Trackman and incorporated it as a prrmanent fixture into the panel. Looks like a small trackball.

Pic isn't the greatest and the cab is still a work in progress, but it's on the bottom just left of center.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (27.43 KiB) Viewed 4352 times

FortyRock

Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:09 pm

etherbest wrote:Silly question, I see that whenever I press 5, it favorites the game by making it green on the list, but how do I switch to display just favorites? Did I miss something?
Is it supposed to do that? While I agree it would be a nice feature to be able to toggle between lists, I viewed it as a way to flag games so they are easy to find in large lists, and/or possibly a tool to help with a file cleanup (identify the ones you play/that work, and purge the rest).

pjturpeau

Wed May 01, 2013 8:32 am

Hi all,

Thank you for your great work with this oldschool mame4all version ! I love it.

However, I noticed few sound problems with some games, mostly quirks or acute "clicks" when playing bagman, phoenix or pleiads while there's no problem in games like 1942, aerofighters or arkanoid.

I tried to set config_hdmi_boost to 4 but it doesn't improve the sound quality.

Is it a problem with game drivers in mame 0.37 or is there a way to resolve this?

Thanks.

gruso

Sat May 04, 2013 12:38 am

Thanks for this port! Working great in conjunction with mmoller2k's GPIO daemon.

What's on the horizon as far as video options go? I'd like to have pixel perfect integer scaling, like this:

frank16

Tue May 07, 2013 9:20 pm

I have this nice little Adafruit 1.8inch display working on /dev/fb1
It works with nearly everything I throw at it, but not mame4all :-(
Is there a way I can move the display to my framebuffer device? (note, it's only 128x160 pixels, so needs scaling).

One other thing: I noticed that if I change the rom/samples dirs in the config file, the menu comes up empty (no roms found) and exits, but from the command line I can access the games fine, f.i. mame invaders works, but just mame gives an empty menu and exits.

Thanks,
Frank

pudding

Wed May 08, 2013 4:17 pm

New version released:
* Fix for "roms" configuration not read in the frontend.
* Added graphics options to the config file for display border, display stretch disable.

pjturpeau, I don't know what the sound problems are, I don't hear any issues. It's most probably issues with the sound in MAME 0.37 for these games as it's known not be perfect for some games.

gruso, the dispmanx backend can't do non-bilinear (smooth) stretching as far as I know. There's a new option in this version to disable stretching though.

frank16, the "roms" directory reading is fixed in this version. I don't know about your issue with your display, MAME4ALL uses dispmanx not the framebuffer.

gruso

Thu May 09, 2013 12:26 pm

pudding wrote:gruso, the dispmanx backend can't do non-bilinear (smooth) stretching as far as I know. There's a new option in this version to disable stretching though.
Oh that's a bugger. Is there an alternative to using dispmanx? I can get the results I want in MAME4all on GP2X and Pandora.

pismy

Mon May 13, 2013 12:30 pm

Hi Pudding,

Your port is definitely great, congrat's !

Same as Noldor: I'd like very much to have scanline filters enabled (I'm fond of this vintage effect).
Is it doable with current version ? (I've tried playing with the "skiplines" option from mame.cfg with no success)
Or does it sound like a reasonable "request for change" for next release ?

Thanks.

Jgreenpea

Mon May 20, 2013 2:46 am

Great job on the port! Thanks for the hard work.
I'm looking forward to playing som roms that run too slow in advmame. However, i am having issues trying to get my custom controller working with mame4all. Im using a uhid board to get analog joystick input as well as digital joystick and button inputs. I got it working with advmame by manually mapping inputs, but i cant figure out how to do the same in mame4all. I also tried setting the controls using the tab menu, but no button presses or joysticks seem to register. Any ideas?

mongrol

Mon May 20, 2013 10:23 am

Has anyone managed to get this running under Advmenu? I've tried bogussing advmenu into thinking it's advmame but no luck. (wants to run an xml file update), and also tried running it as a generic emulator with no luck (all roms fail on file errors).

If noone has this running is there a chance of adding the -listxml option to generate a .xml file like all the other mame versions?

pudding

Mon May 20, 2013 11:09 am

mongrol, listxml option came in later versions of MAME. There's "-listfull" which generates an equivalent which you could write a script to convert to XML.

FortyRock

Mon May 20, 2013 11:31 am

mongrol wrote:Has anyone managed to get this running under Advmenu?
People have gotten this to work as a "generic" emulator and solutions have been posted on the PiMAME forums (http://pimame.org/forum/)

welshy

Mon May 20, 2013 6:51 pm

mongrol
I have it running in AdvMENU with snapshots, no issues, but don’t use the GUI version

In the advmenu.rc add these lines (But substitute your directory paths)-

emulator "snes9x" generic "/usr/local/bin/snes9x" "%p"
emulator_roms "snes9x" "/home/pi/snes/roms"
emulator_altss "snes9x" "/home/pi/snes/snessnap"
emulator_include "snes9x"

Here’s my old Post on AdvMENU which also explains how to add emulators - http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... t=23431&p=
"The list of things I have heard now contains everything!"

mongrol

Tue May 21, 2013 12:47 am

Thanks Welshy,
Does it handle/hide clones etc?

yottskry

Wed May 22, 2013 3:12 pm

I'm finding that if I go into the tab menu on a game and change the "General Settings" (I can't remember the exact option - there's an option to change keybindings for just the current game, and another to change keybindings in general, it's this one I'm referring to) the settings aren't remembered. I've tried binding a joystick button to the "one player start" button and another to the "insert coin" button, and it works for the current session, but as soon as I exit and choose another game (or even the same game again) the setting is lost. Anyone have any idea?

FortyRock

Wed May 22, 2013 3:25 pm

yottskry wrote:I'm finding that if I go into the tab menu on a game and change the "General Settings" (I can't remember the exact option - there's an option to change keybindings for just the current game, and another to change keybindings in general, it's this one I'm referring to) the settings aren't remembered. I've tried binding a joystick button to the "one player start" button and another to the "insert coin" button, and it works for the current session, but as soon as I exit and choose another game (or even the same game again) the setting is lost. Anyone have any idea?
If you haven't already, run the install script or change the permissions on the files / folders to allow writes.

johnnygal

Wed May 22, 2013 3:50 pm

Hi,

First of all, great work on Mame4all!

I have ror=yes set in the mame.cfg file to have the games play in vertical mode.
However, there are some games (so far it looks like juts neo-geo games) that don't rotate properly. The scrore/credit count/etc seem to rotate but not the main gameplay screen itself.

Am I missing something here? Or is this just a limitation of mame 0.37b5?

Thanks.

pudding

Wed May 22, 2013 5:53 pm

Yes, I think it's designed for vertical games as they seem to be OK. Most horizontal games I've tried tend not to work properly when rotated, snowbros squashed, sf2 missing graphics, neogeo completely wrong, etc.

It's a limitation of the 0.37b5 MAME core, I haven't done anything special to handle this.

johnnygal

Wed May 22, 2013 9:12 pm

OK, thanks for the quick reply.

yottskry

Thu May 23, 2013 9:58 am

FortyRock wrote:
yottskry wrote:I'm finding that if I go into the tab menu on a game and change the "General Settings" (I can't remember the exact option - there's an option to change keybindings for just the current game, and another to change keybindings in general, it's this one I'm referring to) the settings aren't remembered. I've tried binding a joystick button to the "one player start" button and another to the "insert coin" button, and it works for the current session, but as soon as I exit and choose another game (or even the same game again) the setting is lost. Anyone have any idea?
If you haven't already, run the install script or change the permissions on the files / folders to allow writes.
Oooh, good shout. Now I think about it, this started becoming an issue after I moved my roms to a subfolder of /opt. I'll check this out when I get home. Thanks.

Return to “Gaming”