smshiera

Re: MAME4ALL for Pi

Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:05 am

I modified kof97.zip_p1-rom,how can i make this hack_game running?

pudding
THANK you for your greatjob,make it easy to play
Do you have any plan to make it support some "new" neogeo game (e.g. metalslug3) or some other "new" game?(I want running tenkai.zip,unfortunately it will be supported until MAME0.111,this is horrible)

FortyRock

Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:18 am

I'm having trouble getting the mouse to be recognized (have tried Logitech Trackman and Microsoft USB mice). They work fine in X and other emulators, but nothing in mame4all, even in mouse enabled games. Looking at the input controls for the games, TrackX/TrackY options not even listed.

mouse=yes in mame.cfg (went through source code and I thought it might be a valid option even if it wasn't in the default mame.cfg). Even tried forcing use_mouse to 1 in source.

EDIT: Are mice even supported? Didn't see anything about them not being so, so assumed they were.
Last edited by FortyRock on Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Martin3232

Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:13 pm

Just installed 1.4 which allows you to mark roms as favourite by pressing 5 they are read/written too a text file.

i don't think mice are supported, but it would be a great addition.

wilcoholic

Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:06 am

I'm having a ton of trouble getting any roms to work on MAME4ALL. I tried converting using CLRmamepro and the included DAT file but i just kept crashing back to the command line when trying to load a rom. Is there some specific technique or instruction that i'm missing to get this thing to work?

kalehrl

Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:13 pm

Go to the famous Swedish torrent site and type 'MAME4ALL 037b5' in the search field.
Some 2270 roms are included in the archive and they are the right version for our mame4all.

yottskry

Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:51 pm

kalehrl wrote:
Ah, I think I probably am using the latest firmware. I'll try the link, cheers.
This will restore the firmware to the last working version:

Code: Select all

sudo rpi-update eeb2e51c3e08cd5efa4246aa8dc54a09b25ada12
If you get the sound than it's definitively the case of buggy firmware.
Bug @dom about it in the thread in the previous post.. :)

I'm using Arch - no rpi-update is available. How does one do this in Arch?

[Edit: it's ok, I followed the instructions on the webpage for rpi-update and installed it just fine. I was under the false impression it was a raspbian specific tool]

yottskry

Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:08 pm

OK, reverted the firmware, but can confirm it makes no difference to the lack of sound I'm experiencing with certain games using Mame4All. This *has* to be a bug in Mame4All somewhere. The fact I have sound at all shows it can't be a hardware problem.

FortyRock

Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:27 pm

yottskry wrote:OK, reverted the firmware, but can confirm it makes no difference to the lack of sound I'm experiencing with certain games using Mame4All. This *has* to be a bug in Mame4All somewhere. The fact I have sound at all shows it can't be a hardware problem.
Have you tried a different cable or even a different HDMI device?

yottskry

Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:31 pm

FortyRock wrote:
yottskry wrote:OK, reverted the firmware, but can confirm it makes no difference to the lack of sound I'm experiencing with certain games using Mame4All. This *has* to be a bug in Mame4All somewhere. The fact I have sound at all shows it can't be a hardware problem.
No, but that won't make a difference. If there is sound in everything else, including most other mame games, then it cannot possibly be the cable or TV.

FortyRock

Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:46 pm

yottskry wrote:
FortyRock wrote:
No, but that won't make a difference. If there is sound in everything else, including most other mame games, then it cannot possibly be the cable or TV.
Good point (I forgot it was only certain games you're having trouble with).

Martin3232

Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:09 am

yottskry wrote: I don't get sound in:

Bubble Bobble
Raiden Fighters
Some tetris clone that uses the Pokey sound chip

I'm just looking for suggestions.
Have you tried deleting the corresponding cfg file in case some of the saved settings are controlling the sound?

yottskry

Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:23 pm

FortyRock wrote:
yottskry wrote:
FortyRock wrote:
Good point (I forgot it was only certain games you're having trouble with).

Well you say that, but I think I owe you an apology: I've just tried using analogue audio instead of HDMI and I get sound in ALL the games (Bubble Bobble included) which means it's not the rom and it's not Mame4All. I'll have to see if I can get hold of another HDMI cable, or alternatively I'll have to see if there's some setting on the Pi that I'm not using that I should be. My amixer output was set to auto, I'm going to try setting it explicitly to HDMI and see if that makes a difference.

The analogue sound was very noisy (crackly) by the way. I think I've read that's normal?

kalehrl

Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:29 pm

I think I've read that's normal?
Make sure you use the latest mame4all v1.4
In v1.3 and v1.4 there was a lot of audio fixes.
You can still hear them occasionally but most of them have been fixed.

yottskry

Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:13 pm

kalehrl wrote:

I think I've read that's normal?
Make sure you use the latest mame4all v1.4
In v1.3 and v1.4 there was a lot of audio fixes.
You can still hear them occasionally but most of them have been fixed.
Building the latest as we speak... still perplexed as to why the sound is all working in analogue but only partially working in HDMI. I'm wondering if it's something odd, like single channel sound and my TV is ignoring that one channel.

BBUK

Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:56 am

Hi yottskry.

I had a similar problem with HDMI on my TV (a quite old Sony). When running Advmame versions earlier than 0.94, I either had for some games (dangar being an example) no sound or a horrible screeching noise out of one channel. I tried solutions such as amending the EDID data reported by the TV (and getting the Pi to use that) but that did not work and I had to resort to a kludge which forced stereo output on Advmame (albeit an easy config option). For this reason I am unable (sadly) to fully use Mame4all and am still soldiering on with Advmame.

I only post as the ability to force stereo out on Mame4all could solve your problem but would require source mods and a rebuild.

BBUK

yottskry

Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:10 am

BBUK wrote:Hi yottskry.

I had a similar problem with HDMI on my TV (a quite old Sony). When running Advmame versions earlier than 0.94, I either had for some games (dangar being an example) no sound or a horrible screeching noise out of one channel. I tried solutions such as amending the EDID data reported by the TV (and getting the Pi to use that) but that did not work and I had to resort to a kludge which forced stereo output on Advmame (albeit an easy config option). For this reason I am unable (sadly) to fully use Mame4all and am still soldiering on with Advmame.

I only post as the ability to force stereo out on Mame4all could solve your problem but would require source mods and a rebuild.

BBUK

Ah, that's really helpful, thanks! I might be able find the stereo option in advancemame and transplant it into mame4all (who knows? Might be possible!). At least I have something to go on now. Cheers!

pudding

Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:36 pm

I've uploaded a test version of MAME4ALL here http://mame4all-pi.googlecode.com/git/mametest.zip

It has a workaround for those having problems on HDMI with mono. The mame.cfg contains a new variable called "force_stereo" which makes mono games into stereo. Unzip the zip into /usr/local/bin/indiecity/InstalledApps/mame4all_pi/Full/

I don't experience the mono problem on my HDMI TV so need feedback if this fixes it. Please test on something mono (most games) like "snowbros" and stereo like "tapper", with the "force_stereo" setting, set to "no" and "yes".
Author of MAME4ALL for Pi, PiSNES, PiFBA & PiMenu

BBUK

Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:36 pm

Thanks pudding - that does the trick for me (or at least for the two games that I knew had problems on my tele - dangar and xsleena).

Thanks again.

Vanfanel

Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:20 pm

@pudding: Could you *please* offer updated direct downloads from now on like you have done with this test zip? I don't have my Pi connected to Internet, it's a big mess to do so here, and I don't use X enviroment on it, so I don't want to go thru the store stuff. I just want to keep it simple :)

kalehrl

Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:38 pm

It is available from the project's google.code page:
https://mame4all-pi.googlecode.com/git/mame4all_pi.zip

Vanfanel

Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:18 pm

Thanks for the tip, Kalehlr... Sorry, I hadn't seen that.

pudding

Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:03 pm

Released new version to the Pi Store with the "force_stereo" option for TVs with HDMI mono sound problems.
Author of MAME4ALL for Pi, PiSNES, PiFBA & PiMenu

Vanfanel

Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:55 pm

@pudding: I'm trying latest version (I hadn't tried MAME4ALL before) and I must say I'm totally impressed! Full 60FPS CPS1 games on the Raspberry Pi... I never thought it could be possible!

However, I'd like to point out that there's some kind of problem with similar board, System 16 (68000 + Z80, etc).
System16 games do skip frames and for example Shinobi causes my Pi to hang up on MAME4ALL quitting.

etherbest

Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:41 pm

Hey pudding, filled a bug request but will post it here as well see if other people can reproduce this.

What steps will reproduce the problem?
1. Enable kioskmode in mame.cfg
2. launch mame
3. press escape

What is the expected output? What do you see instead?
It should remain in the games list, but instead exits to the command prompt

What version of the product are you using? On what operating system?

Please provide any additional information below.
It seems that the only way to make it work is:

- Launch mame
- Select a game
- Exit the game
- Now kiosk mode seems to be activated as esc doesnt seem to exit the menu anymore

yottskry

Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:05 pm

pudding wrote:Released new version to the Pi Store with the "force_stereo" option for TVs with HDMI mono sound problems.
Nice one! Was going to have a go at this, this weekend and now I don't need to :D I take it this is also available in the source code from google code (or wherever it was I got it from last time)? I prefer to build from source.

Return to “Gaming”