bidinou

Re: MAME4ALL for Pi

Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:06 am

Hi Pudding & all !

I'm a heavy user of your MAME4ALL, FBA & Snes9x ports, thanks a lot ! This is a great piece of work ! Pretty fast !

I have a concern about video rendering though. I didn't manage to get a result that really satisfies me. On my main Linux box, I use sdlmame with a simple PNG mask (for scanlines) & the bilinear filtering : it looks really great even & perfectly smooth even on a big LCD screen.

I use a smaller screen (17 inches 4/3 instead of 24 inches 16/9) on my Pi with MAME4ALL / FBA.

- with the default settings (bilinear filtering) I have the feeling it looks blurrier than it should. I'm used to bilinear filtering & emulators though.
- without any filter (scanlines / bilinear) it obviously looks blocky but it's not only that. On some vertical scrollings for instance, I have the feeling a line doesn't always have the same height (??). And well, I have the feeling even a 60 FPS scrolling is not 100% smooth. I don't know how to explain
- same feeling when not using bilinear & using scanlines. Black lines height seem to cut pictures lines which do not always have the same height ; and also, scrollings do not seem 100% smooth.
- my favorite rendering would be bilinear + scanlines but it looks bad for some reason. Is it fixable ?

- would it be possible to implement a sdlmame-like png filter effect that would be compatible with bilinear filtering ?

I'm sorry I cannot explain with the right technical terms !!

Best regards

Edit : as a site-offtopic-note, for some reason the sound in Pulstar in PiFBA seems broken although it's a regular NeoGeo game.

bidinou

Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:40 am

Oh BTW, I have another question, this time regarding fullscreen.

I noticed that there always were black border around the screen (all around) -- I have a 4/3 monitor.

When setting the option "respect aspect ratio" to "0", I noticed that the screen was filled vertically, but that there was still a black border on the left and on the right.

Do you have any idea why ? (FYI, the console properly fills the whole screen, as well as the "pimenu" app and the X server)

Thanks again !

Edit : on the same games (Neo Geo for instance) I do not get the border problem in FBA, but I do have it in MAME4ALL
Last edited by bidinou on Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

welshy

Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:55 am

bidinou
It could be dependant on which games you are playing, remember, with some games the monitor was positioned 'vertically' e.g. Donkey Kong, Galaxian, Centipede, Gyruss etc (so there will be borders to the left/right).
"The list of things I have heard now contains everything!"

bidinou

Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:58 am

Thanks for your reply !

For instance, take Metal Slug : in MAME4ALL you get those unwanted borders but not in FinalBurnAlpha.

pudding

Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:38 am

bidinou, sdlmame is doing the video rendering effects in software (i.e. CPU). MAME4ALL on the Pi does all that in the GPU as it's CPU isn't powerful enough to do it in software. Hence it's limited to what effects it can use. The scanlines are done using a pixel shader and they aren't easy to write (I really don't like GLES2). Also the pixel shader on the GPU is a bit slow at processing 2D images so it's rather limited to what it can do. I don't implement things that slow down MAME on the Pi, it's designed for maximum speed. So a better scanlines+blinear isn't possible as it's too slow. Scanlines are only useful on an LCD anyway.

I don't know what the blurring issues you think exist are, it's just standard blinear stretching done by the GPU - nothing can be done about that. The none filtered blocky mode will be showing those characteristics as the scaling will not be a whole multiple of the original image size, i.e. it's scaling to the TV resolution - it will be a fractional stretch. This is more noticeable on a composite TV due to the low resolution.

The borders are due to MAME respecting aspect ratio of the original games. There's no "respect aspect ratio" setting supported in MAME4ALL, the only MAME settings supported are the ones in the original mame.cfg.
Author of MAME4ALL for Pi, PiSNES, PiFBA & PiMenu

bidinou

Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:28 pm

Hi Pudding !

Well, it makes sense, thanks for the clarifications. I think there's an option in sdlmame to display at a multiple of the original size but it obviously reduces the screen size accordingly.

Some people wrote some pixel shader filters to emulate scanlines but I guess they would slow down the emulation on the Pi as they are probably too complex.

Well, thanks, and sorry if my questions sounded stupid :-) I hope it'll prevent other people from asking them in the future !

Just to stop bothering you and to make sure I got everything perfectly clear : there is no way to implement a PNG mask using pixel shader without signiicant slowdown ; and it's not possible either to apply scanlines + bilinear filtering without the strange current effect ?

Thanks again !

bidinou

Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:38 am

BTW, I encountered a new strange issue : each time I start mame4all (through pimenu), it automatically starts the last game. If I hit ESC, it starts it again and again... It occured after I defined some keys in the config file but it seems unrelated. No issue in fba / snes9x.

BTW I noticed pisnes disappeared from the store.

Thanks again !

Killerspec

Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:17 pm

Hi all

I have just rebuilt my Pi today and installed MAME4ALL onto it. I have set up my pi so that I can remote desktop it from my PC as I plan to use it for a web server. I installed MAME through the Pi Store but when I try launch it I get a screen that says unknown name and it then goes back to Pi Store.

Am I missing the point here or do I need to boot it into the emulator which means I would need to connect it to my tv to play.

Thanks for the help in advance

Killer

badboy1985ro

Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:53 am

I am truing to build my own arcade cabinet with a raspbery pi.
I have installed pimame and the best emulator for the rpi is MAME4ALL-Pi. It provide the fastests emulation in caparrison with advmame gneo etc. I am very happi with it.
The only thig i don't like is the front end. I want a front end similar with advmenu. Whe a game is select some artwork or something should be displayed.
Now i was wondering can this be done with mame4all? can i customize the front end?
If yes, the how?

johnnygal

Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:07 pm

Have a look at the FAQ on the PiMAME forums.

You can setup advmenu as a front end to use Mame4all as the emulator. This is how I have it on my build and it works great. It's good being able to see screenshots of each game as you scroll through the list.

badboy1985ro

Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:18 pm

what os did you use or what do you recomend? i don't like pimame since it has alot of emulators installed. I was thinking installing an os without x, the do a clean install of mame4all and advmenu.
CAn you give some advices regarding the os?

johnnygal

Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:42 pm

I use one of the earlier versions of PiMAME before a lot of the additional emulators were added. It works fine running Mame4all - all of the games I use run at normal speed.

badboy1985ro

Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:51 pm

What if i wanna build my own custom OS that boots straight in to advmenu.
What os would be appropriate for this task? I don't want any opther aps installed no x gui no nothing, just mame

welshy

Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:35 pm

badboy1985ro
PiMAME is a just a SD Card Image built on Raspbian (As ALL the Pre built SD Card Images are). To make your own as suggested just use a blank Raspbian Image, add PiMAME4ALL along with an emulator Front End (Emulation Station or AdvanceMENU), configure, then set to boot straight into the Front End. Or you could just use PiMAME and remove all the emulators that you don't require/need (again this would necessitate editing the AdvanceMENU config file).

badboy1985ro

Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:59 pm

welshy , i know all that but i would like to hide all the crap linux displays during boot, and display a picture similar to mame4all whn it start, so during boot onli a picture should be displayed until the frontend is started.
Any idea how to do this? i am downloading now moebius witch is a striped down version of raspian and no x server

berighteous

Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:59 pm

I did a search for "How to make a splash screen on raspberry pi" and found a tutorial. I used it for my bartops. I'll see if I can hunt it down again.

Here's a video of it doing it. It displays some stuff before the splash screen loads, but that might be because of the name of the script it isn't executing first.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-p6f5DxiXo

I know there's an easy way of suppressing all of the boot text. One of my first posts on the forum asked about doing it and I got a great answer - and a whole thread full of people who were astonished and affronted by the idea of not showing every line of boot text, like it was an unpardonable offense. lol. here's the thread:
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 14#p176414

freddog

Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:54 pm

It seems that when I execute /usr/local/bin/indiecity/InstalledApps/mame4all_pi/Full/mame without sudo, the esc and other keys are not read. When I run as sudo, the keyboard works as expected. Is this a usb access issue for non-sudo users? Is there a way to run without sudo?

Takenover83

Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:09 pm

timhoffman wrote:Hi

Trying out mame4all. Should a PS3 (sixaxis) work via USB with mame4all.

The device is created /dev/input/js0
jstest works.
I can read the joystick via pygame.

However no matter what I do I can't seem to get any response when running mame4all.

Any one done it ?

Cheers

Tim
I have the same experience. I see a bug report here.
https://code.google.com/p/mame4all-pi/i ... tail?id=33

Surprised this has not been fixed, as PS3 controller's are pretty popular on the rpi.

badboy1985ro

Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:07 pm

pifba or pimame? witch one is faster?

antiriad

Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:11 pm

Hi Pudding!

Thank you very much for ALL your work, really.
I can't find other words to say how much I appreciate what you're doing, a dream come true.
Really, really, really thank you.

I have a couple of questions:

1. On the project page you wrote "It emulates all arcade games supported by original MAME 0.37b5 plus some additional games from newer MAME versions"... so in development are you not completely constrained by the limits of MAME 0.37b5? I ask this because actually some amazing Irem titles like Undercover Cops, In the Hunt and Blade Master are yet supported by your Pi MAME4ALL/0.37b5, they are also playable but unfortunately they have no audio, 'cause the emulation was partial at the time (I suppose). So I was wondering if it could be possible to "complete" emulation including audio, eventually using code from some later versions of MAME. It would be absolutely awsome!

2. On the project page on google code you wrote that switching off anti-aliasing performance could be "impacted", depending on the monitor resolution. It means that without anti-aliasing there will be better performance? (I use Pi MAME4ALL on a Crt TV via composite cable). Setting the audio frequency to 22600Khz will also improve performance?

3. What are your expectations on this project? One of the strengths of your hard work is undoubtedly the speed and playability. Do you think it is still possible to "squeeze" the Raspberry Pi further to get an even more fluid emulation?
Will you continue to support Pi MAME4ALL?

Thanks

antiriad

Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:13 pm

I have a problem with Golden Axe: the audio samples are crackling... only the samples, the rest of the audio is perfect as other samples in other games like Donkey Kong, I'm sure I have the correct romset for Golden Axe (clrmamepro) but I don't know if there are different sample-sets for the game?
Maybe someone could give a feedback?

Thank you

welshy

Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:49 pm

antiriad
Remove the samples for Golden Axe, they are not required, but if you add them they will be used by the program.

antiriad

Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:02 pm

Hi welshy and thank you for your help.

I was sure I was using samples with golden axe, but I was wrong: there are no samples in the folder. But the "voices" of various characters are crackling and at a much more higher volume that the music or other sound effects.
Same thing with Altered Beast (same System 16 original board). It is the same for you?

By the way I only overclocked the RPI from raspy-config to 800mhz, and still I didn't remove Pulseaudio...

Ridrok

Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:17 pm

Hello all and thank you very much for this release. :)

It works very well and I can finally play the Arcade Outrun with the PI connected to my TV and an old Guillemot Race leader racing wheel plugged on a USB port :D

Now I wonder if it is possible to get the events generated by the roms to make out of the box effects like lighting some led using the GPIO or just feed back a force feedback controller. I know there is something like this for Windows called Mame Hooker, then I am asking how we could do the same on the PI and use it's capacity. If one can give me some pointers around this, I may try to code this (I am a developer).

Thank you,
Ridrok.

Takenover83

Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:07 am

pudding wrote:New version released:
* Supports more joystick axis and up to 16 joystick buttons.
* Frontend keys and joystick controls now configurable.
* Joystick START+SELECT now quits frontend.
* Vector games no longer display scanlines.
* Flushes filesystem for hiscore and input saves.
Start and Select? I see no option (when hitting TAB) to map select in mame4all-pi. There is a option for that in piFBA however. I also can not map anything from axis 5 and axis 6 on my controller.

Return to “Gaming”