pudding

Re: MAME4ALL for Pi

Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:18 pm

That's a list for a different emulator on another platform. It's also based on the original MAME4ALL but is quite different.
Author of MAME4ALL for Pi, PiSNES, PiFBA & PiMenu

dom
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:54 pm

gruso wrote:I'd like to have pixel perfect integer scaling, like this:
See:
https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware/issues/104

topguy

Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:45 pm

I've bought a "Hori Fightstick 3 mini" both for my PS and for some retrogaming. (http://stores.horiusa.com/-strse-163/Pl ... Detail.bok)

Its detected fine on the Pi, and all buttons and axis works in "jstest". The problem is that it doesnt work properly in Mame4All.
The buttons seems to be working, but the joystick itself des not register.

Is there any information I can provide to help you fix this problem ?? Any output from 'jstest' or 'evtest' that will help you ?

The main difference between the Hori stick and a PS2-controller with usb-converter which works is that the PS2 controller uses axis 0 & 1 while the Hori stick uses axis 4 & 5. I tried using jscal to remap the axis to 0 & 1 and while that worked in jstest it not help with Mame4All.

joacliba

Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:36 am

I have a "similar" problem. I have a XIN-MO dual arcade USB interface and I connect 2 joysticks (with 6 buttons for player) and Player 1 works perfectly, but player 2 doesn't work.

With jstest I see that:

- Axes 0 and 1, and buttons 1-5 are for Player 1.
- Axes 2 and 3, and buttons 10-15 are for Player 2.

Is there a way to get working axes 2 and 3, and buttons between 10 and 15? The raspi detect it correctly and is working in other emulators.

Thank you!

pudding

Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:30 am

To joacliba and topguy, log an issue on the MAME4ALL website https://code.google.com/p/mame4all-pi/issues/list and I'll take a look. Should be possible to add configuration for this.

joacliba

Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:06 am

pudding wrote:To joacliba and topguy, log an issue on the MAME4ALL website https://code.google.com/p/mame4all-pi/issues/list and I'll take a look. Should be possible to add configuration for this.
I opened the issue. I'm looking into the input.cpp to find a quick way to solve this but I'm not able to find how.

Thank you for your work, this is the best mame emulator on raspberry pi! ;)

topguy

Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:50 pm

No quick way no. System only support one stick and 10 buttons per joystick right now.

The enum in "src/input.h" must probably be expanded with a lot more JOYCODEs.
The table joyequiv in "src/rpi/input.h" must similarly be expanded, and the function init_joy_list() must be adjusted to take into account the extra sticks (axis) and buttons.

Somewhere there is probably some code that generates the text visible when you configure input. I haven't checked it that also is a big table or if the text is automatically generated from the JOYCODES.

Doesn't seem like a *very* difficult job, but it could take Pudding some time to test it if he don't have any joysticks to test with.

I'm voluntering as beta tester o/

joacliba

Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:14 pm

Well, I have seen in the code support for 4 joystick so I think my problem is with the axis number. My USB controller makes only one device (js0) that has 4 axis (0,1,2,3). If the device is divided into two devices (js0 and js1) with two axis (0 and 1 for js0 and 0 and 1 for js1) I think it should work.

Now I'm trying to remap my device into two devices because I need to have it working for tomorrow (:D the cabinet is a present). But no luck at the moment.

I would be a volunteer for beta testing too.

topguy

Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:43 pm

joacliba wrote:Well, I have seen in the code support for 4 joystick so I think my problem is with the axis number. My USB controller makes only one device (js0) that has 4 axis (0,1,2,3). If the device is divided into two devices (js0 and js1) with two axis (0 and 1 for js0 and 0 and 1 for js1) I think it should work.
Yes, you are right, but that is a big IF. Good luck.

timhoffman

Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:04 am

Hi

Trying out mame4all. Should a PS3 (sixaxis) work via USB with mame4all.

The device is created /dev/input/js0
jstest works.
I can read the joystick via pygame.

However no matter what I do I can't seem to get any response when running mame4all.

Any one done it ?

Cheers

Tim

topguy

Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:32 pm

timhoffman wrote: The device is created /dev/input/js0
jstest works.
I can read the joystick via pygame.

However no matter what I do I can't seem to get any response when running mame4all.
Its related to what we are discussing higher up on this page of the thread. In jstest you will probably see 6 axis (0 to 5) and the d-pads only changes axis 4 and 5. Mame4All only (at least this version) takes the two first axis into consideration.

You have to probably press "tab" in a game for control-configuration anyway to set it up. In theory one of the analog-sticks should be axis 0 and 1 and might work. The buttons probably work.

timhoffman

Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:42 pm

Hi

I tried pressing tab, and changing settings by mashing everything on the joystick and never got anything recorded. I will have another look at this.

Thanks for the reply

Cheers

Tim

kalehrl

Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:19 pm

Is there a gamepad combination which quits mame4all-pi frontend?
In pisnes and pifba it is select+start but it doesn't work with mame4all-pi.

pjturpeau

Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:56 pm

Hi,

I'm successfully using the latest version of mame4all coupled to an hdmi2vga converter and to a vga2cga card (GBS 8100). The goal is to setup an old cocktail table.

However, do you think there's a chance to make this version of mame work with an opti-pac to have at least one (maybe two?) spinner for arkanoid?

What about two players sticks through an i-pac?

Edit : forget my questions I've just tried and both sticks and both spinners are working nice with mame4all through i-pac and opti-pac (and a powered USB hub). I've just had to configure the analog input parameters in the dip switch settings so that movements are smooths in arkanoid... Thanks for all your hard work!

Thanks,
regards.

pjturpeau

Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:43 am

Hi,

I've setup a vertical configuration for a cocktail with mame4all. By default, the mame4all frontend doesn't rotate even if mame.cfg is setup to do so (the game runs rotated however). So the best thing to do (unless there's another solution which I don't know) is to setup raspberry pi display rotation in /boot/config.txt so that the mame4all frontend is also rotated.

So everything works great apart for few vertical games that are still not in the right orientation (180° rotation). This is the case for DoDonPachi for example. My only solution currently is to use AdvanceMenu, setup a dedicated emulator and launch the game through a script which change the mame.cfg file before running mame...

Is there a way to specify a 'per game' configuration with mame4all?

Thanks

welshy

Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:11 am

pjturpeau
So if I understand correctly PiMAME4ALL isn't the issue PiMENU is? This is where AdvMAME and AdvMENU have an advantage because they were specifically written for 'Cab' builds so the configuration settings allow for such complexities. AdvMENU can be used with ANY emulator, the key is setting it up correctly to launch PiMAME4ALL via command line also by passing the GUI game list. All that is needed is some additions to the advmenu.rc. My AdvMENU PiMAME4ALL script is below (change the ‘paths’ to suit).

emulator "PiMAME4ALL" generic "/home/pi/mame4all/mame" "%s"
emulator_roms "PiMAME4ALL" "/home/pi/mame4all/roms"
emulator_altss "PiMAME4ALL" "/home/pi/mame4all/snap"
emulator_include "PiMAME4ALL"

Explanation of the Scripts
Emulator Name (It can be anything so long as its consistent in the scripts), its location and the command line to launch it. If the emulator used requires the file extension (MAME doesn't) replace with "%p". If when starting the emulator any 'options' are required add them e.g "%p --scale=2"
Where the ROMS are located
Where the 'Snapshots' are located (NB must be png format!)
Shows in the List of emulators/games available

AdvMENU's orientation can then be set separately in the .rc to suit

Hope That Helps!
"The list of things I have heard now contains everything!"

scaryonly

Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:31 pm

just got a pi for mame emulation and this emulator and frontend is working really smooth! I love it.

2 things though:
So far I've got 3 roms that when loading, Mame4All crashes out to the command line, MK II, MK 3 and Rampage World Tour. Any idea on why it's crashing?

Also, I have the XIN-MO USB controller and only the right & down work on joystick one, and a few of the buttons.
Will the I-Pac work better for Mame4All since it emulates keyboard commands?

Thanks again!

welshy

Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:00 am

scaryonly
I've had a look at the game list (just add the option -listgames when starting PiMAME4ALL) and MKII, MKIII and Rampage World Tour are listed so should work. As you may or may not know, MAME often requires differing ROM revisions depending on its fork, so it may be the ROM's you have downloaded are either the WRONG revision or corrupted/bad dumps. Most ROM sites will also have the revision listed of the particular ROM file, below are the required/compatible ones for PiMAME4ALL.

Mortal Kombat II
rev L3.1
rev L3.2 (European)
rev L1.4

Mortal Kombat III
rev 2.1
rev 2.0
rev 1.0

Rampage World Tour
rev 1.3
rev 1.1

With regards to the XIN-MO USB controller, if you look at previous discussion in the thread the author is aware of the issue and is attempting to address in a future revision.

Hope That Helps!

Update - I have just tested the games mentioned, I am experiencing the SAME issues. The terminal log indicates 'error process exit with status 1' or 'error process terminated with signal 11' on exit depending on the ROM. I seem to recall MKII worked on a previous revision of PiMAME4ALL, this is common with emulators, changes to the core program to fix one issue often causes problems with something unrelated. Perhaps if you could log this as a 'Issue' at the homepage the author (pudding aka squid) can address this in a future revision and/or offer an explanation as to what's causing it.

Homepage - http://code.google.com/p/mame4all-pi/issues/list

pjturpeau

Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:17 pm

No, I've already added mame4all as a generic emulator in the advance menu configuration. The problem is that few vertical games don't have the right orientation and are playing upside down so instead of rotating display to the left in mame.cfg I shall rotate it to the right for those particular games (all games are vertical however).

The only way i've found to do so is to add a dedicated generic emulator in advance menu which launch a script that modifies mame.cfg to setup the needed orientation...

So i'm just asking if it is possible to do it as a per game basis instead of this "trick";..

thanks.
welshy wrote:pjturpeau
So if I understand correctly PiMAME4ALL isn't the issue PiMENU is? This is where AdvMAME and AdvMENU have an advantage because they were specifically written for 'Cab' builds so the configuration settings allow for such complexities. AdvMENU can be used with ANY emulator, the key is setting it up correctly to launch PiMAME4ALL via command line also by passing the GUI game list. All that is needed is some additions to the advmenu.rc. My AdvMENU PiMAME4ALL script is below (change the ‘paths’ to suit).

emulator "PiMAME4ALL" generic "/home/pi/mame4all/mame" "%s"
emulator_roms "PiMAME4ALL" "/home/pi/mame4all/roms"
emulator_altss "PiMAME4ALL" "/home/pi/mame4all/snap"
emulator_include "PiMAME4ALL"

Explanation of the Scripts
Emulator Name (It can be anything so long as its consistent in the scripts), its location and the command line to launch it. If the emulator used requires the file extension (MAME doesn't) replace with "%p". If when starting the emulator any 'options' are required add them e.g "%p --scale=2"
Where the ROMS are located
Where the 'Snapshots' are located (NB must be png format!)
Shows in the List of emulators/games available

AdvMENU's orientation can then be set separately in the .rc to suit

Hope That Helps!

joacliba

Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:31 pm

scaryonly, your problem with the XIN-MO is not a mame4all bug. If you try with jtest you'll see that it doesn't detect up and left (negative axis).

It's a kernel bug with this joystick:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... ug/1077359

I recompiled the kernel with the Olivier instructions for the previous version of raspbian (25/05/2013?) so if you would like to try there is the link: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7854602/kernel.img (backup your previous kernel and make sure that you know what are you doing).

If this doesn't work, you can recompile yourself the kernel with the Olivier patch applied.

welshy

Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:36 pm

pjturpeau
I don't think that's possible with PiMAME4ALL, as I said, it is a specially optimised version/fork of MAME4ALL (GP32/PSP etc.) NOT specifically for a 'Cab Build'. Why not just use AdvMAME as that was built for this type of application? Unless the performance on the RPi isn't sufficient for the ROMS your running. That the problem with emulation, it's always a 'compromise'!

pudding

Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:03 pm

pjturpeau, the MAME engine that MAME4ALL uses isn't very good at game rotation. I could ... eventually... implement this in the Pi designed MAME4ALL graphics engine instead (and the frontend too).
Log an issue on http://code.google.com/p/mame4all-pi/issues/list and I'll see what I can do as there have been a few requests for vertical support.

omega1

Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:11 pm

Hi all,

I haven't read all replies (apologies).

I was wondering,. specifically, if Pacman (original) will run on this and if it is possible to use a joystick on the Pi?

I'll go through the whole thread if necessary, but wondered if anyone could confirm the above points?

Thanks!
Get your Pi from here! http://bit.ly/18blVup

welshy

Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:25 pm

omega1
The answers are Yes and Yes!

omega1

Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:48 pm

:-) :D

Thanks, I shall now go through the whole thread with even more interest! :ugeek:

Does anyone know of a panel mount joystick that will definitely work with the Pi for this?
Get your Pi from here! http://bit.ly/18blVup

Return to “Gaming”