CodenameV

Infinity Engine Emulator ... Baldur's Gate ,etc

Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:43 pm

Hi all , this engine has been mentioned a few times on the forum, so I thought a boring Saturday afternoon time to test it,

All I had to do was clone from here https://github.com/gemrb/gemrb.git
compile and install, making sure to have the prerequisite packages.
copy over the data files from one of the supported games ( I used Baldurs gate )
set the path in the config file.

and away it went in lxde ,I had a problem running from the console , until I noticed the Bpp setting in the config file , I remembered having to change this for an early version of powder , so I changed it to 16 and up it came in the console, and running not to bad, If anyone out there was a fan of the Baldur's Gate series I recommend giving this a try

CodenameV

Pangtang

Re: Infinity Engine Emulator ... Baldur's Gate ,etc

Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:16 pm

I had wondered whether GemRB would work, that's great news ! I have been using the Android version for some time.

SiriusHardware

Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:00 pm

CodenameV wrote:Hi all , this engine has been mentioned a few times on the forum, so I thought a boring Saturday afternoon time to test it,

All I had to do was clone from here https://github.com/gemrb/gemrb.git
compile and install, making sure to have the prerequisite packages.
copy over the data files from one of the supported games ( I used Baldurs gate )
set the path in the config file.

and away it went in lxde ,I had a problem running from the console , until I noticed the Bpp setting in the config file , I remembered having to change this for an early version of powder , so I changed it to 16 and up it came in the console, and running not to bad, If anyone out there was a fan of the Baldur's Gate series I recommend giving this a try

CodenameV
Would you consider posting the actual steps? "Clone from here... compile and Install, making sure to have the prerequisite packages" assumes an awful lot of prior knowledge - I would like to have a go at this as I have PC originals of every infinity Engine game, but I'd need a a little more help to get there.

CodenameV

Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:30 pm

I would be more than happy to to a step by step , but to be honest , I'm pretty new to all this too,

If you go to https://github.com/gemrb/gemrb there is ab install file there explaining the tools you'll require and the Libraries you'll need ( using the apt-cache search "library" at a shell prompt can help you to find a package name).
If I get a little time this week I try to tie it all together and create a step by step for any one thats interested

CodenameV

malakai

Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:13 am

I haven't tested and don't mind some input install would go something like:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install zlib-bin libsdl-image1.2-dev
git clone https://github.com/gemrb/gemrb/
cd gemrb
mkdir build
cd build
cmake ..
make
make install

Not at my Pi to test but those are the basic dependencies as far as I can tell I think the only other would be the sound package
SDL_mixer (optional, for fast lower-quality sound)
(lib)VLC 2.0+ (optional, for movies in some mac distributions of the games)

https://github.com/gemrb/gemrb/blob/master/INSTALL

http://www.gemrb.org/wiki/doku.php?id=start

Now to start digging for the disks :(
http://www.raspians.com - always looking for content feel free to ask to have it posted. Or sign up and message me to become a contributor to the site. Raspians is not affiliated with the Raspberry Pi Foundation. (RPi's + You = Raspians)

malakai

Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:01 pm

I cannot get sound and under settings I can do about 800x600 to fit it on screen but the install is here http://www.raspians.com/Knowledgebase/g ... pberry-pi/

If you can mange to get sound working feel free to update here.

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install zlib-bin libsdl-image1.2-dev
git clone https://github.com/gemrb/gemrb/
cd gemrb
mkdir build
cd build
cmake ..
make
sudo make install
So far with the instructions above I got it compiling without any errors. The hard part is next (as if an hour of compiling was easy)

On a Windows computer get the free Demo if you don’t own the game or just want to try it.

http://www.fileplanet.com/164134/160000 ... Install%5D

Download that and install again, this was on a Windows PC. This installed the game to C:\Program Files (x86)\Black Isle\BGII – SoA Demo\

I copied the contents of the folder BGII – SoA Demo to BGII on a thumb drive (It’s easier for linux since it has spaces I don’t like spaces) so it is Drive:\BGII\data – Drive:\BGII\cache for example.

You also need CD 2 it installed here C:\Program Files (x86)\Baldur’s Gate 2 Demo\CD2 I just copied this to Drive:\BGII\CD2

startx
when you get to the desktop a message should appear when you plug in a USB Drive click ok and see what path is given it should be /media/somepath this is where you will point your settings to.

Copy and configure the default cfg file

sudo cp /usr/local/etc/gemrb/GemRB.cfg.sample /home/pi/bg2.cfg
sudo nano /home/pi/bg2.cfg
1.) I cannot get sound but the setting would be – Uncomment #AudioDriver = openal (You can also uncomment the volume options)
AudioDriver = openal

2.) Verify “GamePath” and set it to the game folder on you drive:
GamePath=/media/somepath/BGII

3.) Delete all “CD” entries except “CD1″. Set CD1 to the BG2 data directory:
CD1=/media/somepath/BGII
CD2=/media/somepath/BGII/CD2

4.) Find Bpp and change this to 16 #Bits per pixel
Bpp = 16

5.) Save the file.

Execute the following from a terminal:

gemrb -c /home/pi/bg2.cfg

I am not able to get sound to work I have tried installing the dependencies:

libopenal1

libghc-sdl-mixer-dev
http://www.raspians.com - always looking for content feel free to ask to have it posted. Or sign up and message me to become a contributor to the site. Raspians is not affiliated with the Raspberry Pi Foundation. (RPi's + You = Raspians)

clint westwood

Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:02 pm

The sound works for me with openal driver only. The sdlmixer one makes Gemrb crash.

Icewind dale works quite well in 640*480 fullscreen mode but i am experiencing some troubles with the parsing of text dialog

tufty1974

Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:32 am

My sound works over HDMI using the sdlmixer driver, but not the openal! With openal I get nothing, sdlmixer gives sound but the volume controls (both in game and in the GemRB.cfg) do nothing, it's at full volume all the time. Still, it's a great improvement on no sound!

clint westwood

Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:03 pm

ok great! and what about the parsing of the text dialogs.?for me, the number of char per lines decrease at each answer choice :(

Bonehead_pi

Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:06 am

When I try to follow the instructions listed above, "cmake .." throws an error complaining that PythonLib is missing. Any suggestions on how to get around that?

AmigaGamer

Sun May 18, 2014 6:57 pm

The newest stable version 0.8.1 compiles fine and works great with baldurs gate 1.

Sound works well with sdlaudio.
Also tested with the widescreen mod- things are moving smoothly at 1360x768 for me @30fps

Baldurs gate 2 is a little slow but playable- i haven't looked at optimising performance yet, just a quick test.

I'm surprised there isn't more attention given to this thread- considering the popularity of enhanced edition on android/ios etc. - The PI is perfectly capable of running Baldurs gate with GemRB

Edit > Small bug with dialog text with my build atm. Ive posted over on the gemrb forums asking for help with it. When i have things running 100% ill post instructions.

13i11

Mon May 26, 2014 5:44 pm

Bonehead_pi wrote:When I try to follow the instructions listed above, "cmake .." throws an error complaining that PythonLib is missing. Any suggestions on how to get around that?
sudo apt-get install python-dev

Still can't get sound with either openal or sdlaudio. I'm using latest Raspbian. I've tested with GOG version of Baldur's Gate original saga and Baldur's Gate 2 Complete. Both start up and seem to play fine just no sound at all.
Is there some additional steps to get sound working other then the setting in the gemrb.cfg file? :?

riklaunim

Mon May 26, 2014 5:59 pm

AmigaGamer wrote: I'm surprised there isn't more attention given to this thread- considering the popularity of enhanced edition on android/ios etc. - The PI is perfectly capable of running Baldurs gate with GemRB.
Some time ago (not so long) GemRB wasn't playable so it didn't got much attention from gamers. Also the original version of games work on Wine nicely - even with mods so there was/is lesser demand for GemRB on Linux.

Bonehead_pi

Wed May 28, 2014 12:24 am

13i11 wrote:
Bonehead_pi wrote:When I try to follow the instructions listed above, "cmake .." throws an error complaining that PythonLib is missing. Any suggestions on how to get around that?
sudo apt-get install python-dev
Thank you!!!

AmigaGamer

Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:23 pm

Ive been looking at this again over teh weekend, trying latest SVN on Pi 2. Im using exobuzz SDL in fbcon mode

performance is good on baldurs gate 1, baldurs gate 2 is working but i havent had much time to test. BG2 is definitely a lot more resource hungry than BG1

im building against sdl1 with the following.
Create a subdirectory called build and cd to there, then
cmake ..-DPREFIX=/home/pi/gemrb -DFREETYPE_INCLUDE_DIRS=/usr/include/freetype2/

in sdl1 mode its software scaling to the size of the screen. Would probably make more sense on raspberry to figure out how to lock a sdl resolution in the code and dispmanx scale.

Theres a new experiemental driver for SDL2 if you add -DUSE_SDL2=1 although there seems to be a bug with mouuse pointers not clearing from the screen, so you can end up with a trail of hands when you move the mouse.

Id hoped to test the gles driver as well with -DUSE_OPENGL=2 -DUSE_SDL2=1 but im having less success with this.
The issue i think is just paths to the include libraries as it cant find GL headers
eg if we were using a old style makefile i'd be adding ldflag -lbcm_host and cflags -I/opt/vc/include /opt/vc/include/vmcs_host/linux for the raspberry specific paths
Sadly im not so familiar with cmake cmakelists so ill have to figure that out first. If any one has suggestions how to add this stuff in (presuming thats all thats missing for GLES) it would be much appreciated!

Vanfanel

Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:36 pm

AmigaGamer wrote:Ive been looking at this again over teh weekend, trying latest SVN on Pi 2. Im using exobuzz SDL in fbcon mode

performance is good on baldurs gate 1, baldurs gate 2 is working but i havent had much time to test. BG2 is definitely a lot more resource hungry than BG1

im building against sdl1 with the following.
Create a subdirectory called build and cd to there, then
cmake ..-DPREFIX=/home/pi/gemrb -DFREETYPE_INCLUDE_DIRS=/usr/include/freetype2/

in sdl1 mode its software scaling to the size of the screen. Would probably make more sense on raspberry to figure out how to lock a sdl resolution in the code and dispmanx scale.

Theres a new experiemental driver for SDL2 if you add -DUSE_SDL2=1 although there seems to be a bug with mouuse pointers not clearing from the screen, so you can end up with a trail of hands when you move the mouse.

Id hoped to test the gles driver as well with -DUSE_OPENGL=2 -DUSE_SDL2=1 but im having less success with this.
The issue i think is just paths to the include libraries as it cant find GL headers
eg if we were using a old style makefile i'd be adding ldflag -lbcm_host and cflags -I/opt/vc/include /opt/vc/include/vmcs_host/linux for the raspberry specific paths
Sadly im not so familiar with cmake cmakelists so ill have to figure that out first. If any one has suggestions how to add this stuff in (presuming thats all thats missing for GLES) it would be much appreciated!
Interesting, AmigaGamer. Does the GLES code use SDL2 context init code? If it does not, we will have to add our own context init code...

AmigaGamer

Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:12 pm

Vanfanel wrote: Interesting, AmigaGamer. Does the GLES code use SDL2 context init code? If it does not, we will have to add our own context init code...
Looks like it to me. Have a look at https://github.com/gemrb/gemrb/blob/mas ... LVideo.cpp

SiriusHardware

Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:09 am

I don't have a great understanding of OpenGL, GLES, SDL, SDL2, etc... with the recent announcement of an experimental GL driver included in the most recent (February 2016) Raspbian Jessie, is that something which is likely to prove useful for making GemRB run better on the Pi? Or will it not really make a difference, since the Infinity engine really only uses 2D graphics, not 3D graphics like Morrowind, etc?

Return to “Gaming”