mgoulart

Re: Street Of Rage Remake

Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:51 pm

CodenameV,

I spoke with jon (from Paintown IRC channel) and he told me that SDL engine doesn't have a good performance on RPi (For Paintown), he suggested me to use Allegro 5. I don't know if was a good idea but I tried to compile it with Allegro 5 directly on RPi but I got random errors during the compilation.

CodenameV

Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:25 pm

mgoulart wrote:CodenameV,

I spoke with jon (from Paintown IRC channel) and he told me that SDL engine doesn't have a good performance on RPi (For Paintown), he suggested me to use Allegro 5. I don't know if was a good idea but I tried to compile it with Allegro 5 directly on RPi but I got random errors during the compilation.
I try to give allegro 5 a go over the weekend

Patrick77

Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:40 pm

CodenameV wrote:I have got a compiled version ready in a tar file if anyone would like it just drop me your email address , the file is just under 2mb
in addition you'll need is to download a openbor game pak , unpack it using the tools and move into the pak folder and then play-a-way :) my favs are golden axe and final fight

I would love a copy of the compiled OpenBOR file. I'm a total NOOB but I did manage to get RetroPie up and running. Any chance you could send me a quick guide as to how to install this on the Pi?

Smithers

Sun May 17, 2015 10:28 pm

Hi.

I too was interested in running Beats of Rage on my Pi. I followed the instructions at https://github.com/rofl0r/openbor to compile the program (on the Pi), copied some (unpakked) mods into the 'Paks' folder (using 'FileZilla'), typed 'sudo ./OpenBOR' into the terminal (using SSH), and it opened straight up, no issues. It seems to run fine (gets a bit slow when applying some video filters though), but I want to find a way to run a mod from the command line so I can incorporate it into Emulation Station!

I'm no expert in Linux, however I will do my best to help if anyone else wants to install BOR and needs a hand!

Cheers.

Patrick77

Mon May 18, 2015 7:06 am

I run it from the Ports section in emulation station. I just copied the .sh file used for doom and changed it from selecting to start the doom file into selecting where I placed OpenBOR. I have to navigate my Pak files once OpenBOR loads using a keyboard but I can use my joysticks in game and to start it from emulation station via Ports. If you know a way to get the Pak selection menu to work with a joystick let me know. I'm using a XinMo encoder so it registers as a gamepad and not a keyboard like the IPac.

Smithers

Mon May 18, 2015 11:10 pm

I can add it into the Ports section yes but ideally I want to create 'Beats of Rage' as it's own "system" inside Emulation Station, with a game list of different mods inside. This would cut out the need of using a keyboard to select a mod but I don't know if it can be done, running a mod direct from the terminal.

Another issue is that it didn't appear to like my Dualshock 3 controller! It was constantly firing through random axis commands and didn't allow me to set up the key bindings. El cheapo fake ps1 pad works perfect however. :/

Patrick77

Tue May 19, 2015 12:32 pm

Yeah that's beyond my expertise. I would imagine you would have to compile it into RetroPie itself for it to work the way your wanting and I don't know if that's possible unless you can convince the creators to add it as an experimental. Be sure and post here if you manage to get it working.

Smithers

Tue May 19, 2015 8:12 pm

Hmmm, after searching through the whole internet ;) I have came to the conclusion that command line mod loading is not implemented in this version of OpenBOR :cry:

However..... I think I think I may well have found a workaround for this!! :D I will test it out and reply back....

Patrick77

Tue May 19, 2015 8:52 pm

Ok. Cool keep me posted and good luck.

Smithers

Tue May 19, 2015 11:06 pm

Success!! :)

https://youtu.be/HxjabijmIWM

So the way I done this is as follows, but this is assuming you have already installed OpenBOR on your Pi so have the relevant files and folders necessary for it to run.

I created a 'bor' directory in /home/pi/, and inside the bor directory I created a new empty folder for each mod I was planning on installing (just 2 for now as a test - 'dda' and 'gaxe'). I then copied the OpenBOR binary and all other files and folders that it needs to run and pasted them into both of the mod folders (into gaxe and dda in my example). Then in the 'Paks' folder, I pasted the relevant (unpacked) game data. The file structure looks like this:

/home/pi/bor/gaxe/Paks/gaxe/data
/home/pi/bor/dda/Paks/dda/data

(do not just copy the 'Data' folder into 'Paks' as it wont work - the data file still needs to be a sub-folder prefixed with the mod name, as above)

I then created an 'openbor' folder inside the normal 'Roms' folder and inside I created a shortcut for each game. It is important here that you do not just run directly from the /roms/openbor directory as if you do then OpenBOR will assume this is the directory where all the game data is held! Instead you must use the following script to get it to work:

#!/bin/bash
cd /home/pi/bor/gaxe/
sudo ./OpenBOR

Now make sure you set the permissions to make these shortcut files executable:

sudo chmod 777 "gaxe.sh"
sudo chmod 777 "dda.sh"

Test it works by typing sudo ./gaxe.sh then sudo ./dda.sh (whilst still in the /roms/openbor/ directory) and if so, happy days!

You now need to create a theme, find / create some artwork, create a gamelist.xml file and get some screenshots. Then you can play it via Emulation Station like any other emulator / system. I assume this is already covered by someone elsewhere but I can help out if need be.

phase 4 - ???

phase 5 = profit!! :P

Hope this makes sense!! It is a bit late and I should really be off to bed. :oops:
openbor title.jpg
OpenBOR logo on System Selection Screen
openbor title.jpg (54.4 KiB) Viewed 4392 times

Patrick77

Wed May 20, 2015 12:01 am

Thanks. I'll give this a try. Seems like a good work around. Wish I would've thought of that myself. Great job!

Smithers

Wed May 20, 2015 10:44 pm

OK so I tested out a slightly different take on this (to make it less hassle when adding new mods), and it works great. Setup is still much the same as above so the OpenBOR binary will be here:

/home/pi/bor/

Unpakked mods will go into their own directories within the /bor/ folder as such:

/home/pi/bor/doubledragon/Paks/doubledragon/data
/home/pi/bor/goldenaxe/Paks/goldenaxe/data

Now inside each mod folder create a script named ‘openbor.sh’ with the following inside:

sudo /home/pi/bor/OpenBOR

Be sure to set the file as ‘executable’.

The file is exactly the same for each mod so just copy and paste it as many times as needed.

Now for the games to appear in Emulation Station, in your OpenBOR folder within the normal /roms/ directory you need to create scripts for each game, naming them however you wish (eg goldenaxe.sh), and entering the following text:

cd /home/pi/bor/goldenaxe/
sudo ./openbor.sh

Be sure to set the file as ‘executable’.

Now reboot, start up emulation and test them out! :)

This may seem a bit of a long winded way to add games, but it is actually really easy this way and only 1 OpenBOR binary file is needed so no duplication for every mod you add. I just added another 4 games to my setup and it only took about 15 mins in total to get them all up and running.

Anyway, hope this helps anyone who is a fan of the OpenBOR games! As an added bonus, here is a link to a ton of mods you can try out:

https://mega.co.nz/#F!4xMgTDTA!bnfrA4RapYRvS31jSak3IQ

(these aren’t copyrighted roms, they are free ‘fan’ games so I am assuming this is ok to link?)

Cheers.
Steve

Patrick77

Wed May 20, 2015 11:03 pm

Thanks! This does seem to be a better way. I should have some free time this weekend to do this. Thanks again!

mgoulart

Thu May 21, 2015 1:28 pm

Did you installed OpenBoR compiling from source code or downloaded the compiled version avaliable here in the post?

You did an awesome job making the menus on Emulation Station!!!

Smithers

Thu May 21, 2015 3:26 pm

Hi.

I compiled it from the source code. I can uploadthe binary if needed. In fact I could upload the file structure as well, incorporating the binary if that helps?

I still need to tweak the theme as I couldn't find an .svg file for the logo so im using a .png instead, but it looks OK for now, thanks!

mgoulart

Thu May 21, 2015 3:31 pm

Could you write an tutorial showing how to compile it?

Smithers

Thu May 21, 2015 3:47 pm

I'm not really the best person to do that if I'm honest. I've only just started using Linux properly in the last few months so I'm still a noob and wouldn't want to pass on bad habits or anything!

Its a really easy compile this one though, I literally just copied over the source code into a directory, typed in a simple command and pressed enter and it done everything else and left me with a binary file after about a minute.

I'll post up what command I entered in a bit, I can't remember off the top of my head!

*edit*

OK found it, all you need to do is be inside the directory where the source code is on your pi and type the following into terminal:

NO_GL=1 make

Then press <enter>. Simple as that. As to what happens if you don't use the NO_GL=1 command, I'm not sure, I never tried!

ulysess

Mon May 25, 2015 7:20 am

I just write a post about play OpenBOR with binaries to Raspberry Pi, Debian & Odroid.

Thank you guys for inspired me ;)

Link:
http://misapuntesde.com/post.php?id=567
Mis apuntes de...Raspberry Pi: http://misapuntesde.com
Google Docs RPi: http://goo.gl/Iwhbq

floob

Sun Apr 03, 2016 4:30 pm

Here is another way to get it up and running:

https://youtu.be/gNDYIUfMiDI
RetroPie help videos: https://goo.gl/1IXE7N

Return to “Gaming”