Slimebubba

Rasperry Pi Atari Emulator

Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:50 pm

Hello!

I have been wanting to do this for a while, but I need some suggestions and confirmations.

I want to make an atari emulator inside of an altiods tin.

I want to make it by December.

It will hook up to a tv, so it is portable and doesn't need a screen.

I am going to have it come from this source code (https://github.com/RetroPie/RetroPie-Se ... Atari-2600)

I want it to go in a usb so that you can plug it in and maybe in the future have interchangable consoles. I could maybe use a GIANT mini SD card with a bunch of stiff on it but I don't really know.

It will have an HDMI output with a lightning cord charger.

I want it to have as little soldering as possible, hopefully none if possible.

I want the cost to be under $15 (but that can change)

I am going to be using the raspberry pi 0 (not included in cost)

I want it to have a 9v battery in it.

Also maybe have a USB port to plug in controllers.

I also need instructions on how to do it, I can't really find any good instrucables or videos, but I plan to make videos and instrucables.

Any help will be apreciated! Feel free to ask questions and suggest things!

Thank you!!

topguy

Re: Rasperry Pi Emulator

Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:32 am

Some thoughts..

- To have USB you need a really small USB hub to fit in the box..
- Forget about the 9V battery.. focus on the external power. ( use a mobile powerback if mobility is needed ) no need to have it on battery really when you still have to have a TV/Monitor which needs proper power.

Slimebubba

Re: Rasperry Pi Atari Emulator

Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:37 pm

Ok, so should I plan on getting an adapter or plan on something else.
ooook that makes a lot of sense.
Thank you!

HawaiianPi

Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:29 am

Slimebubba wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:50 pm
I want it to go in a usb so that you can plug it in and maybe in the future have interchangable consoles.
Not sure what you mean by "go in a usb" so could you elaborate on that? Go in an USB for what (power, data)?

I could maybe use a GIANT mini SD card with a bunch of stiff on it but I don't really know.
It's micro SD (not mini SD, as they are very different things), and a large capacity card will cost much more than the budget you mention below.

It will have an HDMI output with a lightning cord charger.
Pi Zero computers use micro USB power by default, so you would need an adapter to power it with an Apple Lightning charger.

Also keep in mind the Pi Zero has Mini-HDMI, so you will need an adapter or Mini-HDMI cable.

I want it to have as little soldering as possible, hopefully none if possible.
You should really learn how to solder, especially for a project like this. The Pi Zero doesn't even have pins in the GPIO expansion header (although you can get hammer headers you pound into place, or buy the Zero WH with header pins).

I want the cost to be under $15 (but that can change)
Not a very realistic budget, in my opinion, but I guess it depends on what you already have and what you need to buy. If you are going to put the whole thing (OS, software, ROMs) on the micro SD card, that alone will likely use up your budget.

I want it to have a 9v battery in it.
For what, power? Useless option if you are depending on connecting to a TV or monitor.

Also maybe have a USB port to plug in controllers.
The Pi Zero models only have a single USB data port, so you could only connect a single controller (unless you can find a pair of controller that only use one USB port).

You could connect multiple controllers to the GPIO (although that adds more complexity to the build), or with a Pi Zero W you could use Bluetooth.

I also need instructions on how to do it, I can't really find any good instrucables or videos, but I plan to make videos and instrucables.
I've seen lots of DIY game systems based on Pi computers. I don't have any links handy, but they shouldn't be too hard to find.
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

Slimebubba

Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:07 am

Ok, thank you so much for helping me!

1. When I mean usb, I mean the code for the emulator console, but now i'm thinking that will just go into the micro SD card.
2. Ok, sorry I didn't know there were different things. I already have a 64 gb card that I got for prime day, so I think that might work for at least one, but please let me know what you think
3. Ok, I will plan on getting those.
4. Ok, thank you for the soldering advice!
5. I have a micro SD card, and I think that I could maybe expand the budget to $50 with the adapters not included.
6. I don't think I will use a 9v battery anymore, but if I need it to be mobile, I will use a power bank
7.I will take that into consideration, but could I buy a mini usb to 3 normal usb adapter?
8. Ok, I will look for some.

Thank you so much for helping! Please don't feel free to criticize!!!

HawaiianPi

Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:55 am

Just a thought, but you could build the device into a controller. So instead of having the system in an Altoids box, you have it all inside the controller which you just connect to power and video (HDMI). If the controls on the housing are wired to the GPIO you would have the option of connecting a second controller to the USB port.

Adafruit has a kit with a controller board on top of a Pi Zero WH. Not quite as cool as gutting (or designing) your own controller and DIY building everything into it, but if want to avoid soldering and keep it simple, then this might be what you are looking for.

Picture is link (click):

Don't know if it will run the software you want to use, so double-check that.
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

Slimebubba

Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:51 am

oooh yeah I really love that idea. Making it a lot easier. I did a little bit more research on ideas like that, and I fount this: https://howchoo.com/g/mti0oge5nzk/pi-ca ... -cartridge

Tell me what you think, but this one above would probably be cheaper... but I do love the idea of a controller built into the mini console. Thanks!

Return to “Gaming”