Azsorlex26

Retropie only utilising one CPU core

Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:52 pm

So, when I was running games on Retropie, I noticed that in areas with lots of visuals and sounds that the sounds would get crackly and the entire game would slow down a bit. I did a bit of self-troubleshooting by maxing out the VRAM limit, enabling HW acceleration etc. but nothing worked. Then by opening htop while playing some games, I noticed that for more demanding games, one core is maxed out while the others sit idle (and the error mentioned before happens). However, in more peaceful areas in the same games where there isn't much happening, the one core isn't under full stress and the game runs fine. This problem doesn't occur at all for less demanding games. My question is: how can I get Retropie to utilise all of the pi's cores?

scruss

Re: Retropie only utilising one CPU core

Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:14 am

You can't, unfortunately. I don't know of any emulators that distribute tasks over cores. It would be really difficult to split an emulation of a realtime gaming system across multiple cores and keep everything in sync
‘Remember the Golden Rule of Selling: “Do not resort to violence.”’ — McGlashan.

Return to “Gaming”