Azsorlex26

How to run emulationstation through SSH?

Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:30 am

Hi there. I have RetroPie installed on my pi, and I just have one question: How do you run emulationstation through SSH?

I came across another post on these forums: viewtopic.php?t=169864 where a guy had the exact opposite problem: he could run emulationstation through SSH but not through the pi itself, so with that there, I know that it is possible to do it, but idk how. I've already attempted the solution in the last post, however the command returns nothing both on SSH and the pi itself (I have tried editing one of the variables, and the value I put in returns afterwards), so that's a dead end. If anyone knows how to do this, I'd love to hear. Looking forward to your responses!

ghans

Re: How to run emulationstation through SSH?

Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:49 am

Do you have a real display connected to the Pi via HDMI ?

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

Azsorlex26

Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:48 am

Thanks for your response :D

Yes I do and I can run emulationstation that way. However I want to take it a step further and run it without the need for additional cabling.

ghans

Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:15 am

Emulationstation is hardware-accelerated, isn't it ? That doesn't work over SSH at all.
Hardware-accelerated stuff only works on real displays directly connected to Raspberries.

There used to be special VNC servers which could push HW-accelereted stuff over the network, though. No idea if those still exist.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

Azsorlex26

Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:44 am

ghans wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:15 am
Emulationstation is hardware-accelerated, isn't it ? That doesn't work over SSH at all.
Hardware-accelerated stuff only works on real displays directly connected to Raspberries.
Hm. That's a real shame if it doesn't work at all. I mainly wanted to run emulationstation through ssh since my monitor doesn't have a hdmi input, and also because I don't want as much cabling once I do upgrade it. Thank you for your help, though.

ghans

Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:49 pm

RealVNC server can push HW-accelerated stuff over the network on Raspbian. You yourself must decide if the latency is low enough for EmulationStation.

ghans

Azsorlex26

Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:13 am

I'm already using RealVNC server and VNC viewer to access my pi's desktop environment, yet running emulationstation through its terminal doesn't work. Also, I can't view the pi's local command line from there either; it's just a black screen. How would I get emustat to work through RealVNC server?

ghans

Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:23 am

There is a setting somewhere called "experimental direct capture" or similiar. You must enable that first.

ghans

Azsorlex26

Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:59 am

So, I was able to enable that feature you mentioned, and I can run emulationstation remotely :D (albeit it runs like a** :( ). Thanks for your help, but it wasn't really worth it in the end :lol:. Oh well, all part of the learning experience.

Return to “Gaming”