Sobotkama

Run Retropie from desktop

Thu Nov 17, 2016 5:06 pm

Hello everyone. I've been solving this issue for quite a while, and I am out of ideas.
What I want: I want to be able to boot the Pi to the desktop and then to be able to switch to emulationstation using only a mouse (actually it's a touchscreen, but there's not much of a difference), without typing any commands, somehow.

What i've tried: I have written a simple watchdog script that gets run at boot and checks if a file (/home/pi/startemu) contains "1". If it does, it kills X, launches emulationstation, changes the 1 to a 0. Another script, in the desktop writes a 1 into the file when executed. And this works. Sorta. Emulationstation launches, the desktop closes, but when I try to launch a rom, the screen just blinks a couple times and then i get returned into the emulationstation menu. I am guessing that this is because the emu-station got launched from outside the active console (/dev/tty1) and thus, all the emulators try to launch themselves wherever the watchdog script runs, and fail.
I have also tried to just launch emustation by a script inside X that killed X and then launched emustation, but that did not work, for obvious reasons (script stops working as soon as X is closed, since it's running inside X), this is a dead end.

Does anyone have an idea about how to make this work? I am open to other solutins as well, as long as they allow me to launch emulationstation using only my touchscreen

welshy

Re: Run Retropie from desktop

Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:37 am

Sobotkama wrote:Hello everyone. I've been solving this issue for quite a while, and I am out of ideas.
What I want: I want to be able to boot the Pi to the desktop and then to be able to switch to emulationstation using only a mouse (actually it's a touchscreen, but there's not much of a difference), without typing any commands, somehow.
Thats easy, Install RetroPie, set it in the Emulation Station Settings once installed for 'Do Not Auto Boot'
then write a simple Shell script Link to Run it from Desktop so you can just 'Click' on it to start Emulation Station.
"The list of things I have heard now contains everything!"

Sobotkama

Fri Nov 18, 2016 4:12 pm

Didn't work. Cannot launch emulationstation with X on (it complains). Cannot kill X and then launch emulationstation from the desktop (script is terminated before emulationstation is launched because X is terminated).

dROb

Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:03 am

Did you found a solution?
I am not good enough to write that kind of simple looking script

Micha1982

Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:43 am

One way is to setup Raspbian to not boot into X directly and start it from command-prompt....but starting Retropie from an icon would be better, for sure....would also interest me if there is any way...tried around with it 1-2 years ago, too but without success
Alles, was schiefgehen kann, wird auch schiefgehen.

RaspISteve

Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:11 pm

Guys,

I had Retropie (or was it EmulationStation) running very nicely under Jessie desktop and was enjoying revisiting Lemmings on the Amiga emulator (bought the kids an Amiga 500 when they were hot).

Then driven mostly by all the hype here on how much more sorted out was Stretch I went through the upgrade process as described somewhere here. This being contrary to the main advice to just go blow another SD card with a NOOBS Stretch. Trouble was I didn't want to be shuffling SD cards all the time as this was my main Pi3B attached to my 42" TV. Anyway, I already had too much going on the SD to want to replace it or have to start again.

So...., long story short.. with my kit nicely upgraded from Jessie to Stretch and everything seeming to be working I thought a bit of Lemmings time would be in order. I dropped out of X and into the command line, typed "emulationstation" and hit enter. My kit paused, it blinked and then barfed back to the command prompt. (B....x!).

A bit of research told me that they hadn't got "emulationstation" going on Stretch. That was a month or two back and I found first reports of this back in September 2017 but not here.

Plan A is to wait for the clever people to sort this one out. If they have got it going (March18) already I didn't get the memo.
Share and Enjoy.

Return to “Gaming”