Cyressvirus

Raspberry pi 3 for emulator

Sat Nov 05, 2016 3:18 am

I everyone, i know that is possible to make retro gaming console with the pi2, but can the raspberry pi 3 handle ps3 emulator?

Thank you

fruitoftheloom

Re: Raspberry pi 3 for emulator

Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:44 pm

:arrow: :arrow:
Last edited by fruitoftheloom on Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Retired disgracefully.....
......to a more gentile life !

Cyressvirus

Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:06 pm

Well, i have already seen that post and im aware of required computing performance needed to run emulator is higher than the original console. Which the post u linked refer too but as i've been able to run a ps3 emul on an old intel quad core ( socket 775 )

Maybe a pi3 can handle it but they dont talk about ps3 in the post

Rploesser

Sun Nov 06, 2016 5:22 am

Absolutely not. The pi3 is capable of running up to PS1 and N64, both of which have several games that run at a low frame rate. As a general rule you need a computer with about 4x the specs of the system your trying to emulate. The ps3 specs are 3.2ghz single core processor, with 256gb ram. So you would need a computer with a total of 12.8ghz processing power and over 1gig of ram. If there was a way to get 4 pi3's to work together as one then it might be possible but at the moment emulating a ps3 is not possible with a pi3.
www.Helixduo.com / Twitter @HelixDuoSystems / facebook.com/Helixduo - where the DNA of old and new come together for a truly unique gaming experience

welshy

Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:31 am

Cyressvirus wrote:can the raspberry pi 3 handle ps3 emulator?

Thank you
Er,.. no chance! As I have previously posted, Emulation is a complicated/interesting subject* and the Frequency of CPU oscillation often bears no relation to its actual processing performance (FLOPS), dependent on architecture. The other issue in regards to Emulation on the Pi is the GPU, it is designed primarily for Video Decoding which is why its in many 'Set Top Boxes'. Obviously a Consoles GPU is biased towards 3D rendering and are often actually more powerful than the CPU which is why many Emulators for more modern Consoles on PC have higher end Graphics Boards as a requirement.

* If your interested read Jeff Vavasour's excellent article 'Back To The Classics: Perfecting The Emulation For Digital Eclipse's Atari Anthology' for an in depth account of the complexities in programming emulators for modern systems.

Link - http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/1 ... cting_.php

Additional: I would suggest ESX is FAKE anyway! It's Spec requirements seem FAR TOO LOW to Emulate a Cell Processor (8 Core Parallel CPU) & the 'Reality Synthesizer' (a version of Nvidia's 7800GTX Graphics Card). RPCS3 can Emulate the Hardware, but not play any Games as yet.
"The list of things I have heard now contains everything!"

Cyressvirus

Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:17 pm

Well. Thank you very much will read the article.

P.s. Ive could answer myself the question if i was patient enough to get Gran Turismo by the week end. As u mentioned the emulator software run well on a quad core 3.4ghz but only the software game arent loading at all

Return to “Gaming”