yukky37x

Re: Multi-console gamepad driver for GPIO

Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:26 am

I appreciate your reply. I succeeded in changing the GPIO number of CLOCK and LATCH.

Code: Select all

450,451c450,451
< #define GC_NES_CLOCK	0x400
< #define GC_NES_LATCH	0x800
---
> #define GC_NES_CLOCK	(1<<22)
> #define GC_NES_LATCH	(1<<23)
1164,1165c1164,1165
< 		*(gpio+1) &= ~0x3f;
< 		*(gpio+1) |= 0x09;
---
> 		*(gpio+2) &= ~0xfc0;
> 		*(gpio+2) |= 0x240;
However, the pad-specific GPIO change has not been successful. I made the following changes, but it does not work with GPIO 27, and it is still working with GPIO 3 (Only button 0 is working)

129c129
< 	PAD6_GPIO = 3
---
> 	PAD6_GPIO = 27
If there are other places I have to change, would you please tell me?
marqs wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:01 pm
yukky37x wrote: Hello. I use RetroPie 4.4 and output video to 15 Khz Arcade Cabinet with VGA 666. I tried changing GPIO pins using the source code previously written in this forum , But it was not able to work with the current version gamecon_gpio_rpi-1.3. I would like to use 3 SNES controllers, and available GPIOs are 22-27.
Please tell me where to modify the current version source?
You need to change both common (clk, latch) and pad-specific GPIO assignments. The latter one should be simple, search "enum pad_gpios" from gamecon_gpio_rpi.c. For the former, you'll need to modify GC_NES_CLOCK and GC_NES_LATCH defines to (1<<TARGET_GPIO) and the 2 lines under /* set clk & latch pins to OUTPUT */ comment to match those target gpios. For example, if you reserve GPIO22 for clock and GPIO23 for latch, change them as follows:

#define GC_NES_CLOCK	(1<<22)
#define GC_NES_LATCH	(1<<23)
/* set clk & latch pins to OUTPUT */
*(gpio+2) &= ~0xfc0;
*(gpio+2) |= 0x240;

marqs

Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:12 pm

On closer inspection a few other changes are also needed. I replaced hard-coded values on the functions and uploaded the code to a test branch. With that it should be enough to just change the IDs inside "enum pad_gpios" and "enum common_gpios". The code compiles OK but it'll take a while until I can test it - feel free to try if you like. N64 & GC still need a few changes but for other pads it should be now possible to freely select GPIOs between 0 and 31.

yukky37x

Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:25 am

Great! The controllers worked even if the GPIO numbers are changed!

Thank you for your quick response. It is very much appreciated.
marqs wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:12 pm
On closer inspection a few other changes are also needed. I replaced hard-coded values on the functions and uploaded the code to a test branch. With that it should be enough to just change the IDs inside "enum pad_gpios" and "enum common_gpios". The code compiles OK but it'll take a while until I can test it - feel free to try if you like. N64 & GC still need a few changes but for other pads it should be now possible to freely select GPIOs between 0 and 31.

carlj

Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:30 pm

Hi folks,

i have a problem with gamecon_gpio_rpi driver and original snes pad SNSP-005 connected to gpio in my raspberry pi 3b+.

In jstest, when i press B button on my snes pad, all button become in on state and when I release the B button on my snes pad all return to off state. When I press any other button on the snes pad nothing appen.

I've connected two snes controller to my rpi gpio, and i have the same result with both; all is connected as described in wiki.

this is my configuration
option gamecon_gpio_rpi map=0,0,0,0,1,1

snespad 1 is connected to rpi gpio2
snespad 2 is connected to rpi gpio3

wiring
3v3 ---> snes pin1
rpi gpio 10 ---> snes pin2 -- Data Clock
rpi gpio 11 ---> snes pin3 -- Data Latch
rpi pin n.39 --> snes pin7 -- Ground

Can you help me?

marqs

Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:25 pm

carlj wrote:In jstest, when i press B button on my snes pad, all button become in on state and when I release the B button on my snes pad all return to off state. When I press any other button on the snes pad nothing appen.
I recall some people had similar issue until they added 3.3V->5V level shifters on clock and data pins AND/OR powered SNES pad from 5V and added 3.3V clamp on data output pin.

carlj

Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:42 am

marqs wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:25 pm
carlj wrote:In jstest, when i press B button on my snes pad, all button become in on state and when I release the B button on my snes pad all return to off state. When I press any other button on the snes pad nothing appen.
I recall some people had similar issue until they added 3.3V->5V level shifters on clock and data pins AND/OR powered SNES pad from 5V and added 3.3V clamp on data output pin.
Thank you for the reply!

Can you explain me with a detailed schematic and components to use in order to obtain this result?

Sorry but i am not an Expert with Electronics and components!

EDIT: I have made two test using a bidirectional logic level converter 5v to 3v:
- In the first test i have connected the snespad to 5v from raspberry and used the level converter to connect data pin from snes pad to gpio.
- In the second test i have connected also the latch and clock pin from snespad using the level convert to raspberry gpio.

In both tests i got the same result as the initial situation..

Any suggestion??

ps: this is the level converter https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-sh ... 50778.html

marqs

Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:09 pm

Have you double-checked that clock and latch lines are connected the right way? If they are reversed, the end result could be something like your initial description.

carlj

Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:27 pm

marqs wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:09 pm
Have you double-checked that clock and latch lines are connected the right way? If they are reversed, the end result could be something like your initial description.
Yes, i have also tryed to switch clock and latch Lines with no result..

Return to “Gaming”