Vaspi

Games made for the Raspberry pi (Not Emulated)

Sun Jul 03, 2016 11:20 am

Are there any games that are made for the pi or ports? This forum section has a million posts on emulators but after 15 page deep search on this section I only noticed minecraft and doom. This is my first post so forgive me if I sound unfamiliar with the pi it's because i am.

I only received my pi zero yesterday haven't even plugged it in yet but excited to try Linux for the first time only ever owned pc's and iMacs.

Thanks for any answers in advance appreciate the time taken to reply.

Vas
Dougie Lawson Fan club

Vaspi

Re: Games made for the Raspberry pi (Not Emulated)

Mon Jul 04, 2016 3:54 pm

Now I have actually booted up the pi I noticed a few ports installed with retro pi so I guess that's all there is. Thanks for reading nothing to see
Dougie Lawson Fan club

Vaspi

Mon Jul 04, 2016 4:27 pm

How could I miss that on the first page :lol: :roll: what a douche I am.

Thanks buddy I had a Mac in the dos days didn't get my first pc until the last year of xp any recommendations in between those years?

Thanks for the reply
Dougie Lawson Fan club

kusti8

Mon Jul 04, 2016 4:41 pm

Vaspi wrote:How could I miss that on the first page :lol: :roll: what a douche I am.

Thanks buddy I had a Mac in the dos days didn't get my first pc until the last year of xp any recommendations in between those years?

Thanks for the reply
There's DOSbox. Plays DOS games. Don't be fooled by the only three visible emulators on Retropie, they're all just hidden. Retropie has more emulators that you can think of, check their website for more info. There are a few Pi ported and Pi made games, but I don't remember them off the top of my head. There was a blog post on it.
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.

karrika

Mon Jul 04, 2016 7:44 pm

The PiZero works surprisingly well with Atari Lynx games. By using 9 GPIO pins you can control everything in RetroPie without need for a keyboard or mouse.

There is a few nice tricks you can use to get the most out of keyboard mapping to the buttons.

Mapping cursor keys to joystick is obvious. As a side effect the same cursor keys work with the RetroPie menus.

Mapping ENTER to your "menu" GPIO button should also double as "pause" for the Lynx. Having one button sending ENTER is useful as you often need it in RetroPie menus.

Fire A - the main action button mapped to z
Fire B - second fire button mapped to x

These are close together on a normal keyboard also.

Opt 1 - mapped to b
Opt 2 - mapped to SPACE

SPACE is another useful character that can be used for RetroPie menus also.

And last, but not least. The Vulcan key mapped to ESC. This will be activated by pressing the menu key and the Opt 2 key simultaneously for a few seconds. It will abort the Lynx game and return to RetroPie.

PiZero does not have sound output except through HDMI. But a cheap USB sound card works well if you add an /etc/asound.conf file.

Forrrge

Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:59 am

Here are a couple of companies that have made games to run directly on the Pi and that can be played for free

Webfoot Games
https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/webfoo ... pberry-pi/

Gamemaker
https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/three- ... pberry-pi/

Vaspi

Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:40 am

Thank you to everyone that's replied.

A lot of good info.

Karrika I haven't installed gpio pins as of yet I haven't got any other boards it's still sat in a bag to prevent bending the pins, thanks for heads up on the sounds I seen a dac board for it on pimironi so I'll probably go that route.

Thanks for links forrage I will check them out, hope in the future html5 (webgl) gets support as I could port some of my Unity3d projects :mrgreen:
Dougie Lawson Fan club

Return to “Gaming”