petrockblog

Re: RetroPie Setup - Auto-installer/updater for RetroArch ga

Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:00 pm

I have just updated the binaries archive for the binaries-based installation. Besides other things, it contains the recent version of Emulation Station, which comes with an OpenGL implementation now, thanks to Aloshi!
The GPIO module, however, is not the most recent one and will be updated in the next days.
If you find any bugs or problems, feel free to ask or make suggestions!
fun stuff for technics enthusiasts: www.petrockblock.com

Cyborg

Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:35 pm

Awesome! I might have to order a Pi just for this project alone ;)
Is it possible to hook up a generic controller via usb and map the buttons for each emulator?
I'm a total noob when it comes to Linux so for me, this is an awesome project!

Aloshi

Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:14 pm

Cyborg wrote:Awesome! I might have to order a Pi just for this project alone ;)
Is it possible to hook up a generic controller via usb and map the buttons for each emulator?
Both EmulationStation (the front-end) and RetroArch (the emulators) use SDL for input, which support pretty much any gamepad/controller/joystick/whatever.

EmulationStation is just plug-and-play, just connect the controller before starting and it'll automatically open into an input configuration screen. Subsequent runs will automatically load the configuration you mapped.

RetroArch is a bit trickier. You'll have to use the retroarch-joyconfig utility and specify a config file to dump the output to (there's a command line option, I think it's -o file.cfg) and make sure the path is correct for RetroArch to automatically load it.

Normally you don't need to do anything special for different emulators with RetroArch - you set up a controller as best you can (if you map every command, it'll be about as many buttons as a 360 controller, but you don't need to map them all), and it'll automatically pick the right buttons depending on the emulator. If you wanted to get crafty, you could specify different config files for every system (through the -c path/to/config.cfg command line option), but you probably won't need to.

petrockblog

Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:18 pm

Cyborg wrote:Awesome! I might have to order a Pi just for this project alone ;)
Yes, it is possible to use USB game pads. I think most people use this approach, even though >>connecting original controllers to the Pi<< is also not so hard.

Cyborg

Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:15 pm

Thanks for the info!

It doesn't sound too hard to get it working, but I'll probably check back to these forums if I run in to any problems that I can't figure out by myself.

How about other emulators? Any particular reason for why the list stops as SNES?

petrockblog

Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:09 pm

Cyborg wrote: How about other emulators? Any particular reason for why the list stops as SNES?
You can find a list of all emulators that can be installed with the RetroPie script in the wiki at https://github.com/petrockblog/RetroPie ... -Emulators.
If you want to contribute additional emulators people would be glad! Just post the needed steps for installation here and I will add them then to the script!

ajberry

Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:57 pm

Right, have been off this for a few weeks, am back playing around now :D

I have NES games working fine, but am still struggling with Track and Field through MAME.

I'm using the new Turbo mode and a 192/64 memory/graphics split.

Here's a vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYtZBSb ... ata_player

Can someone help me out with the MAME stuff? Is there a new build I need to install or something? The Wheezy has been updated to the latest (hence I can select the turbo mode in raspi-config). Or is there still an issue with MAME and the Pi?

petrockblog

Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:16 pm

Nice video!
I will try to commit some changes in the script during the next weekend! I have, however, no solution for the MAME problem, though.

ajberry

Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:01 pm

Ah cool, will be happy to be a test monkey for you.

Do you know of issues with MAME? Do you get these yourselves? Could it be my rom? Just trying to work out where the issue is, before even trying to fix it....

ColdRush

Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:02 pm

I'm sure I did everything to set this up correctly, I followed the instructions exactly on the blog. When I launch emulationstation I just get a black screen with a small white dot in the center.

What happened? :cry:

Pendor

Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:35 pm

ColdRush wrote:I'm sure I did everything to set this up correctly, I followed the instructions exactly on the blog. When I launch emulationstation I just get a black screen with a small white dot in the center.

What happened? :cry:
Can you exit ES after that?

Do something like ./emulationstation > log.txt then post the contents of the file.

Aloshi

Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:48 pm

Also, are you running on a split providing enough graphics memory for ES to run (at least the 192/64 split is required I believe)? That white dot is the "fake" SDL window I use for taking input, and the OpenGL stuff should be shown over it - so it sounds like the OpenGL stuff isn't initializing properly.

Try what Pendor said - run ES through something like "./emulationstation > log.txt" to redirect output to a log file. Once ES starts, try pressing F4 to quit, then see what the log says.

jlongstreet

Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:29 pm

ajberry wrote:Right, have been off this for a few weeks, am back playing around now :D

I have NES games working fine, but am still struggling with Track and Field through MAME.

Can someone help me out with the MAME stuff? Is there a new build I need to install or something? The Wheezy has been updated to the latest (hence I can select the turbo mode in raspi-config). Or is there still an issue with MAME and the Pi?
Is your sound over HDMI or the analog port? I've had trouble getting RetroArch to play sound correctly, even in NES/SNES games. It plays, but it's extremely choppy and filled with noise.

Was sound working for you before you updated for turbo mode?

blinkymike

Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:04 am

About the white dot launching emulationstation. Something with the latest firmware or kernel update broke my install that worked perfectly. When I got home I tried again and discovered my video memory was suddenly 16mb instead of 64mb.
Ran 'sudo rpi-update 192' and rebooted ... yay works again no thanks to updates.

HTH. Now I can relax and play games again and test a higher overclock.

ajberry

Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:53 am

jlongstreet wrote:
ajberry wrote:Right, have been off this for a few weeks, am back playing around now :D

Is your sound over HDMI or the analog port? I've had trouble getting RetroArch to play sound correctly, even in NES/SNES games. It plays, but it's extremely choppy and filled with noise.

Was sound working for you before you updated for turbo mode?
The sound was 80% there before Turbo mode, seemingly fine now. It is over HDMI, but soon i'll need to correct that as i'll be using a monitor (when the Pi goes into my cabinet.

Just need to work out the MAME issues. Have others got MAME running OK? I can't seem to work out if everyone is having MAME issues or if it is just me.....

petrockblog

Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:06 pm

ajberry wrote:The sound was 80% there before Turbo mode, seemingly fine now. It is over HDMI, but soon i'll need to correct that as i'll be using a monitor (when the Pi goes into my cabinet.

Just need to work out the MAME issues. Have others got MAME running OK? I can't seem to work out if everyone is having MAME issues or if it is just me.....
It would be great and a huge help for others if you could take two or three minutes to post your sound settings/setup at https://github.com/petrockblog/RetroPie ... und-Issues.

petrockblog

Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:35 pm

I just updated the >>RetroPie Setup script<<. Among other things, a Playstation 1 core is now also part of the list of installable emulators. Currently, the following emulators can be installed with the RetroPie setup script:

* Atari 2600
* Doom
* Game Boy Advance
* Game Boy Color
* MAME
* Sega Megadrive
* Nintendo Entertainment System
* Playstation 1
* Super Nintendo Entertainment System

As always: If you have any comments or suggestions, feel free to tell me!

billb

Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:48 pm

Awesome -- thanks!

Will give this a try over the weekend.

Sato

Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:32 pm

Ok, I just installed from source (So, latest version). I added some ROM's and they are detected by emulation station, but When I try and launch them, the screen flashes for a moment, then goes back to the game select screen.

What am I doing wrong? Bearing in mind I just spent about 2 hours waiting for this to install, I can't reinstall it without it being a hassle.

Aloshi

Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:50 pm

Does it work without EmulationStation (from the command line, something like "retroarch -L somewhere/emulatorcores/core.so path/to/rom.nes")? It sounds like the game is being launched and then the emulator is immediately terminating for some reason. You can try running "clear," launching a game, then pressing F4 to close ES and see what the output says (emulator output is surrounded by "==============").

petrockblog

Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:11 pm

Sato wrote:Ok, I just installed from source (So, latest version). I added some ROM's and they are detected by emulation station, but When I try and launch them, the screen flashes for a moment, then goes back to the game select screen.
Is this happening with all kinds of systems? Which system and which rom(s) have you tried?

petrockblog

Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:29 pm

petrockblog wrote:
Sato wrote:Ok, I just installed from source (So, latest version). I added some ROM's and they are detected by emulation station, but When I try and launch them, the screen flashes for a moment, then goes back to the game select screen.
Is this happening with all kinds of systems? Which system and which rom(s) have you tried?
Ok, I just found out that there must have been a change in the RetroArch repository that leads to an error during compilation with the script right now:

Checking presence of package libxml-2.0 ... no
Forced to build with package libxml-2.0, but cannot locate. Exiting ...
Makefile:1: config.mk: No such file or directory
config.mk is outdated or non-existing. Run ./configure again.

I have a look into it RIGHT NOW.

petrockblog

Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:13 pm

petrockblog wrote:
petrockblog wrote:
Ok, I just found out that there must have been a change in the RetroArch repository that leads to an error during compilation with the script right now:

Checking presence of package libxml-2.0 ... no
Forced to build with package libxml-2.0, but cannot locate. Exiting ...
Makefile:1: config.mk: No such file or directory
config.mk is outdated or non-existing. Run ./configure again.

I have a look into it RIGHT NOW.
Ok, the package libxml2-dev was missing and lead to an error during the configuration of the RetroArch compilation. I fixed this in the script now.
You could simply re-download the new version of the script and re-run it or manually install the missing package libxml2-dev with the command

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install -y libxml2-dev
Afterwards, you start the RetroPie script again and choose the source-based installation again. But this time you only choose the RetroArch emulator to be installed. This will install RetroArch from source now (It just finished on my Pi here) and everything else stays untouched.
By having a look into the debug.log file in the RetroPie installation folder you could also check if all other emulator cores were successfully compiled.

Sato

Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:22 pm

Ok, the package libxml2-dev was missing and lead to an error during the configuration of the RetroArch compilation. I fixed this in the script now.
You could simply re-download the new version of the script and re-run it or manually install the missing package libxml2-dev with the command

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install -y libxml2-dev
Afterwards, you start the RetroPie script again and choose the source-based installation again. But this time you only choose the RetroArch emulator to be installed. This will install RetroArch from source now (It just finished on my Pi here) and everything else stays untouched.
By having a look into the debug.log file in the RetroPie installation folder you could also check if all other emulator cores were successfully compiled.
Thanks a lot, I'll try this now. I'll edit my post to say if it works for me or not.

Sato

Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:59 pm

Not letting me edit, but I can confirm that it works fine now. Thanks for the quick fix!

Although I do have one question, does the GameBoy colour core play regualr Game Boy games? I tried to play Pokemon Blue but it wouldn't launch.

Also, I can't seem to get GBA working. Not sure what's wrong there.

Return to “Gaming”