DurableGravy

Re: RetroPie Setup - Auto-installer/updater for RetroArch ga

Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:08 pm

this may be a retarded question but i believe i downloaded and installed everything properly and even went back through to make sure the firmware was updated (but to be honest i left my raspi running while going out to eat and it was powering off a battery and when i got back it was dead) i just wasnt clear which games were already optimized for the pi and how to play them, or if i needed to download those seperate? thanks!

RaspDD

Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:21 pm

thanks.
iam on wheezy.
i tried what you said, now the NEW error is the same, but with "...libboost_FILEsystem.so ...."

Aloshi

Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:32 pm

Try

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install -y libboost-filesystem-dev
If you're still getting errors, you should be able to just install every ES dependency with

sudo apt-get install -y libsdl1.2-dev libsdl-ttf2.0-dev libboost-filesystem-dev libsdl-image1.2-dev libsdl-gfx1.2-dev

RaspDD

Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:28 am

Thanks again, emulationstation is now starting, at least.

I followed the instructions at

http://petrockblog.wordpress.com/2012/0 ... pberry-pi/

For testing purpose i copied just 1 ROM into SNES-Folder, but
the station still says "list empty". Did i miss anything important?

i already tried to scrape the games via setup menu. I think it doesnt find anything, because i dont see any activity.

RaspDD

Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:25 pm

Update: i didnt get it to work, so i decided to re-run the installation of SNES-Core. The Script worked for about 3 hours (longer then before) an installed obviously EVERY core new.

Now i get a new error when i try to start emulationstation:

~/RetroPie/EmulationStation ~/RetroPie-Setup
/usr/bin/emulationstation: line 9: ./emulationstation: No such file or directory
~/RetroPie-Setup

I think i f... it up ? What would you suggest to do ? How can i "uninstall" everything and start from zero? Or is this not necessary?

petrockblog

Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:15 pm

RaspDD wrote:Update: i didnt get it to work, so i decided to re-run the installation of SNES-Core. The Script worked for about 3 hours (longer then before) an installed obviously EVERY core new.

Now i get a new error when i try to start emulationstation:

/usr/bin/emulationstation: line 9: ./emulationstation: No such file or directory
~/RetroPie-Setup

I think i f... it up ? What would you suggest to do ? How can i "uninstall" everything and start from zero? Or is this not necessary?
If you choose the binaries-based installation, everything should work out of the box within a few minutes. I would recommend this type of installation at first. Afterwards, when you feel that you would like to update individual components, you can still install them individually with the custom setup.

I assume that you started the script with "sudo ./retropie_setup.sh" on a Raspbian image. To undo everything, you must
- remove the RetroPie folder with "rm -rf /home/pi/RetroPie".
- Also you need to remove the possibly generated start script for emulation station with "sudo rm /usr/bin/emulationstation".
- As a last step remove the RetroPie setup script with "rm rf /home/pi/RetroPie-Setup"

Now you can start all over again as described, e.g., on the Github page or in the blog post.
fun stuff for technics enthusiasts: www.petrockblock.com

petrockblog

Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:47 pm

RaspDD wrote:
For testing purpose i copied just 1 ROM into SNES-Folder, but
the station still says "list empty". Did i miss anything important?
Make sure that the extensions of your roms are lowercase and correspond to those given in /home/pi/.emulationstation/es_systems.cfg. You can show the content of that file with "cat /home/pi/.emulationstation/es_systems.cfg".

RaspDD

Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:03 am

before i posted i already removed the retropie-directory and reinstalled with option binaries.
ok, if you say i should remove dir setup and emulationstation too, than i will try this.
thanks anyway for your fast help :)

RaspDD

Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:35 pm

I really dont get it. The very first time i used your script, everything worked, except the station didnt found any roms. I know now the reason, i though it would support zip but it doesnt. Ok.

Now i uninstalled like you said, and reinstalled with option "binaries". Effect: new error. THis time its the following:

emulationstation
~/RetroPie/EmulationStation ~
./emulationstation: error while loading shared libraries: libSDL_gfx.so.13: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Because libSDL is included in your post above, i tryd:

sudo apt-get install -y libsdl1.2-dev libsdl-ttf2.0-dev libboost-filesystem-dev libsdl-image1.2-dev libsdl-gfx1.2-dev

That didnt work and after some internet recherche i did sudo apt-get install libsdl-gfx1.2-dev. Now the new error is:

emulationstation
/usr/bin/emulationstation: line 9: 6494 Illegal instruction ./emulationstat ion
~/RetroPie-Setup

Would you be so kind and help again?

SuperObComMan

Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:48 am

DD,

Only MAME supports .zip files and you have to make sure that they're in the correct ROM folder for the emulator you want to run.

Similarly some SNES ROMs are archived with 7z but these are typically multiple version of the one game and you have to extract the rom you want - which will have the smc(?) file extension - and copy it to the ROM\SNES folder.

I downloaded the precompiled binaries per petrock's instructions and emulationstation found the single mame rom I installed and ran it - to a point. I share the issue where I can navigate past the left-key/right-key challenge but cannot 'INSERT A COIN' :-)

The SNES emulator loads up fine and plays as well as it can with a 50yo 'kid' bashing madly on the keyboard :-) but lacks sound - my second issue.

Finally, I'd like to say thanks to the guys who've put a great deal of time into getting retroarch and emulationstation cranking on the Pi. My only request is that you please post or point to a list on a web-page the instructions as I'm struggling to remember where all the little nuggets of relevant information - config files, default keyboard mapping' etc - can be found.

.p.s DD you might want to start from scratch on a newly imaged sd card if you have one. The path you're currently following may just end up in frustration ;-)

SuperObComMan

Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:49 pm

SuperObComMan wrote: My only request is that you please post or point to a list on a web-page the instructions as I'm struggling to remember where all the little nuggets of relevant information - config files, default keyboard mapping' etc - can be found.
:roll: I hate it when I comment only to then find what I'm looking for....
I just found some of the references in Toadking's thread here but I still have to trawl through it to pick up the useful bits... ;)

petrockblog

Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:01 pm

SuperObComMan wrote:DD,
Finally, I'd like to say thanks to the guys who've put a great deal of time into getting retroarch and emulationstation cranking on the Pi. My only request is that you please post or point to a list on a web-page the instructions as I'm struggling to remember where all the little nuggets of relevant information - config files, default keyboard mapping' etc - can be found.
I have opened a Wiki at the RetroPie site at https://github.com/petrockblog/RetroPie-Setup/wiki. This wiki could serve as a source of information for all kinds of topics related to the components that are installed by the RetroPie setup script. Feel free to put everything there that might be of interested and related to that! Right now, it just contains some major categorical pages but no real content.

Aloshi

Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:40 pm

I typed up a short wiki page for EmulationStation: https://github.com/petrockblog/RetroPie ... ionStation

(I figured this was appropriate, considering I made the thing :P)

petrockblog

Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:58 pm

Aloshi wrote:I typed up a short wiki page for EmulationStation: https://github.com/petrockblog/RetroPie ... ionStation

(I figured this was appropriate, considering I made the thing :P)
Nice - yes, of course! Everyone with interest, information, problem solutions etc. is invited to contribute to the wiki!

Again, very nice article!

RaspDD

Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:26 pm

SuperObComMan wrote:DD,

.p.s DD you might want to start from scratch on a newly imaged sd card if you have one. The path you're currently following may just end up in frustration ;-)
I followed your hint and left the path of frustration and entered the path of enlightenment ;-) - i started from image again, and now the station starts without problems. But, without any sound, but iam sure i will solve this - TOMMOROW.

Pendor

Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:24 pm

RaspDD wrote:i already tried to scrape the games via setup menu. I think it doesnt find anything, because i dont see any activity.
RetroPie-Setup was running the script as root breaking the way some paths are obtained.

I wrote a quick fix and commited it earlier today so it should work fine from now on.

telarium

Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:07 pm

I've tried installing this several times on different SD cards, and I always run into problems. Although funny, the problem seems to be different every time...

This latest installation is the closest I've gotten. Everything is installed (tried both compiling from source and using existing binaries). I can start EmulationStation and the screen of roms comes up. I can scroll, but when I actually try to select a ROM, nothing happens. It doesn't hang or anything... I can continue scrolling through the list. But nothing will launch. It doesn't seem to provide an error or anything. I've tried both NES and MAME roms, but the same result. My es_systems.cfg seems pretty solid.

Am I missing something?

Pendor

Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:22 pm

telarium wrote:My es_systems.cfg seems pretty solid.

Am I missing something?
Post it.

Aloshi

Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:23 pm

Hmm. Try typing "clear" in the console, running ES, launching a game, then press F4 to exit. Any console output by the launched program should be encased in lines, like:

=======================================
Could not load Super Mario World.smc!
=======================================
It sounds like either the emulator is exiting immediately or not launching in the first place.

telarium

Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:52 pm

Here's my config file that was generated by the installer:

NAME=Atari 2600
PATH=/home/pi/RetroPie/roms/atari2600
EXTENSION=.bin
COMMAND=retroarch -L /home/pi/RetroPie/emulatorcores/stella-libretro/libretro.so %ROM%
PLATFORMID=22

NAME=Doom
PATH=/home/pi/RetroPie/roms/doom
EXTENSION=.WAD
COMMAND=retroarch -L /home/pi/RetroPie/emulatorcores/libretro-prboom/libretro.so %ROM%
PLATFORMID=1

NAME=Game Boy Advance
PATH=/home/pi/RetroPie/roms/gba
EXTENSION=.gba
COMMAND=retroarch -L /home/pi/RetroPie/emulatorcores/vba-next/libretro.so %ROM%
PLATFORMID=5

NAME=Game Boy Color
PATH=/home/pi/RetroPie/roms/gbc
EXTENSION=.gb
COMMAND=retroarch -L /home/pi/RetroPie/emulatorcores/gambatte-libretro/libgambatte/libretro.so %ROM%
PLATFORMID=41

NAME=Sega Mega Drive
PATH=/home/pi/RetroPie/roms/megadrive
EXTENSION=.smd
COMMAND=retroarch -L /home/pi/RetroPie/emulatorcores/Genesis-Plus-GX/libretro.so %ROM%
PLATFORMID=36

NAME=Nintendo Entertainment System
PATH=/home/pi/RetroPie/roms/nes
EXTENSION=.nes
COMMAND=retroarch -L /home/pi/RetroPie/emulatorcores/fceu-next/libretro.so %ROM%
PLATFORMID=7

NAME=Super Nintendo
PATH=/home/pi/RetroPie/roms/snes
EXTENSION=.smc
COMMAND=retroarch -L /home/pi/RetroPie/emulatorcores/pocketsnes-libretro/libretro.so %ROM%
PLATFORMID=6

NAME=MAME
PATH=/home/pi/RetroPie/roms/mame
EXTENSION=.zip
COMMAND=retroarch -L /home/pi/RetroPie/emulatorcores/imame4all-libretro/libretr$
PLATFORMID=23
I tried typing clear, running EmulationStation, selecting a rom, and then exiting. The only thing I saw were some warnings about how certain emulators have "no games! Deleting". But that is expected, since I don't have roms yet for every system. But for the systems in which I do have roms in the directory, it does not display a warning.

telarium

Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:40 pm

I may have found the issue. It appears the install script failed to actually compile and install RetroArch. Running that specific part of the setup script again seemed to do the trick. Interesting that it didn't provide any errors that RetroArch didn't exist.

One last dumb question... I know there are elaborate ways to get old SNES controllers wired up to the GPIO pins, but what about just using a USB converted SNES or NES controller? Do those work with the Raspberry Pi and Retroarch? I know it's less authentic and whatnot, but I'm lazy and don't feel like wiring an adapter. :)

petrockblog

Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:36 am

telarium wrote:Interesting that it didn't provide any errors that RetroArch didn't exist.
Hmm, it seems as if it is definitely time that I or someone else take time to implement error checking and other integrity checks for the setup script.

RaspDD

Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:02 am

is there any way using a usb soundcard chipset cm106 with retroarch? i thought i read it somewhere days ago, i just cant find it anymore ...

using the 3.5 output i dont get any sound output at all, not even with hello. in xbmc everything works fine.

petrockblog

Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:55 pm

telarium wrote:I may have found the issue. It appears the install script failed to actually compile and install RetroArch.
Could you give some more specific information about your setup so that I could try to figure out the critical section within the script?
Which distribution are you using?
How did you call the script?
Did you do a firmware upgrade?
Anything else that might be of interest ...

I know, a lot of questions - I just want to increase the usability of the script ...

telarium

Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:30 pm

I ran the script as "sudo retropie_setup.sh pi" under the latest Raspi distribution with the latest firmware.

I think I know what might have happened. It seems the library repository was temporarily down at the moment I was installing it, so I don't think it successfully was able to install ALL the libraries. Some of them timed out. Later on, I re-installed all the libraries and then compiled RetroArch again and it worked.

Return to “Gaming”