JJJJJJJJJJ

Re: RetroPie Setup - Auto-installer/updater for RetroArch ga

Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:57 pm

Thanks for the responses,
I tried adding the code but it says

Code: Select all

mkdir: cannot create directory '/home/pi/.emulationstation': File exists
I am using the soft-float Debian wheezy so that might be the problem but I did exactly what it said on the tutorial.

FA-MAS

Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:14 am

I've installed using the RetroArch binary install and prboom's keyboard mapping is all kinds of screwed up, and no music. Any ideas?

teeth_03

Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:16 am

Good luck getting the devs to help out with control issues, ive been trying to for weeks now.

The prboom core routes the controls though the emulator. Dont try to remap them inside of the game. The dpad moves, L1/R1 strafes, L2/R2 changes weapons, select brings up the map, start pauses. Im not sure about the face buttons, but i think X fires and A is use, never found what the other 2 do.

cjp87

Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:05 pm

petrockblog wrote:
portets wrote:Dom updated the gpu driver in the firmware:
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 4&p=188886
Thanks for that link!

To make your RetroPie installation work all you need to do is to reboot your Raspberry, e.g., via

Code: Select all

sudo reboot
I tried this (as well as updating the pi via sudo apt-get upgrade then rebooting), and I still get the same "failed to open vchiq instance" error. Am I missing some step?

Edit: It seems I did sudo apt-get update instead of upgrade, and upgrade resulted in a much bigger change. So I'll update the thread after I finish my upgrade of the pi, : )

cjp87

Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:36 pm

Hmm, after upgrading and updating and removing everything and running the script again, I still get the same error.

: (

FA-MAS

Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:30 pm

teeth_03 wrote:Good luck getting the devs to help out with control issues, ive been trying to for weeks now.

The prboom core routes the controls though the emulator. Dont try to remap them inside of the game. The dpad moves, L1/R1 strafes, L2/R2 changes weapons, select brings up the map, start pauses. Im not sure about the face buttons, but i think X fires and A is use, never found what the other 2 do.
Yeah, I just ripped out their version of prboom and installed from Raspbian repository. I edited the ~/.emulationstation/es_systems.cfg

pbroom -iwad %ROM%

I put doom.wad and doom2.wad in the roms/doom folder. In emulationstation, they both show up and I can launch them and it uses it's own config file so I can map the controls normal.

petrockblog

Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:51 pm

cjp87 wrote:Hmm, after upgrading and updating and removing everything and running the script again, I still get the same error.

: (
Have you tried the source-based installation? You can select only Emulation Station to speed up the installation procedure for that.
fun stuff for technics enthusiasts: www.petrockblock.com

karlkopf

Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:55 pm

Hello,

how can i define more than one joystick/gamepad for the various emulators?
what i did is, using the joystick-configuration tool of retroarch. so my gamepad which is set to js0 functions well in the emulations. but the other gamepad (js1) doesnt function. because its the same gamepad, i copied the lines and changed js0 to js1, and player 1 to player 2 but the second gamepad is not recognized from the emulators.

i am using raspbian (updated firmware and system today) and used jstest-gtk to look, if the gamepads are found from the system and they are shown correctly.

what can i do or is it just not possible at the moment?

atarimonkey

Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:38 pm

Hey all,

I'm bit of a newb when it comes to these things.

I cant get sound of my keyboard to work in retroarch. i've tried editing the config, but not sure if i've done it right. do i have to state the retroarch config somewhere in the emulationstation config for it to be used?

or am i way off on the wrong track?

ipnd

Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:25 pm

Problem:
Every time we start emulation station and run a ROM, the Raspberry Pi freezes after about 5 minutes of gameplay and needs a reboot. It simply locks up, and no keyboard inputs are recognized. All LEDs are on, on the Pi.

Have tried:
2 Different Raspberry Pi's - 4 different SD cards ranging from Sandisk Extreme, Samsung Essential and Kingston - loads of different ROMS for different platforms(ROMS are tested on pc and mac emulators, working) - 2 different powersupplys(Sandisk 1mA and Apple USB charger for iPhone 1mA) - With/without overclocking enabled - 128 and 192 memory splits - Different HDMI cables - Different ethernet cables

Method of installation:
What we do is format the SD card, and then install Raspbian with the image "2012-09-18-wheezy-raspbian.img". We have tried both from a Mac with dd and from a pc with that win32 disk program thing that people recommend.

We then install with Retropie following this guide exactly:
https://github.com/petrockblog/RetroPie ... stallation

Then when trying to open emulationstation we get VCHIQ library error, but after a reboot it starts perfectly. All ROMS that we SSH into it show up, but after about 5 minutes of gameplay it locks up.

PLEASE would somehow help us?

atarimonkey

Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:00 pm

atarimonkey wrote:Hey all,

I'm bit of a newb when it comes to these things.

I cant get sound of my keyboard to work in retroarch. i've tried editing the config, but not sure if i've done it right. do i have to state the retroarch config somewhere in the emulationstation config for it to be used?

or am i way off on the wrong track?
I got sound working through HDMI, but i have to type "sudo amixer cset numid=3 2" each time i turn on the pi.

Still not sure about the keyboard though, it works outside of the emulators, but not when the emulator is running?!?

ajberry

Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:15 pm

About the keyboard, make sure you aren't running in startx, start a new terminal (not sure if that is right terminology) and launch emulationstation from the command line

atarimonkey

Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:03 pm

ajberry wrote:About the keyboard, make sure you aren't running in startx, start a new terminal (not sure if that is right terminology) and launch emulationstation from the command line
That works perfectly!! Thank you!! :D

ajberry

Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:16 pm

No probs. Plenty have helped me out in here, it's novel that I can help out for a change :lol:

portets

Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:28 am

ipnd wrote:Problem:
Every time we start emulation station and run a ROM, the Raspberry Pi freezes after about 5 minutes of gameplay and needs a reboot. It simply locks up, and no keyboard inputs are recognized. All LEDs are on, on the Pi.
Are you updating the firmware before using retroarch? There is a bug in the current firmware that causes this same issue.

petrockblog

Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:34 am

portets wrote:
Are you updating the firmware before using retroarch? There is a bug in the current firmware that causes this same issue.
The binaries-based installation automatically updates the firmware. However, based on a fresh image (without updated firmware) I would propose that one might try the source-based installation and DISABLE the option 2: "Update firmware with rpi-update". This installation takes quite some time, but might work until the firmware issues are resolved.

I hope this helps!

AvengerofPedro

Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:39 pm

I am using the recommended Raspian image to start, and following the instructions here https://github.com/petrockblog/RetroPie ... stallation

The script seems to complete without a problem, but when I try to run emulationstation I get the following error:
incompatible vchiq library - driver version 2 (min 2), library version 5 (min 3)
failed to load vchiq instance

I've tried both the binary and source installations and I get the same issue. Any idea how to fix this? I'd really like to use the emulationstation frontend.

jlongstreet

Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:26 pm

portets wrote:
Hopefully this explains my issue. It's not 5 minutes, but it seems to be when it's under heavy load. One time it happened I pulled the power, and when I reconnected it my filesystem was messed up to the point that /etc was a config file instead of a directory.

cjp87

Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:48 pm

So, after a lot try and retry, I got the Pi to load Emulation Station. However, the interface was unresponsive, and after trying a few random keystrokes, it inexplicably started up Super Mario Bros, which worked pretty well, actually. But when I tried to exit it, it glitched out the emulation station interface and froze. I had to restart the Pi, and I got the same result.

I'm going to try and play around with the setup folder.

Flipp

Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:49 pm

Hi guys, i tried to install my pi for retroPie but i don´t get it. Raspian is running, but how can i install the retroPie without internet connection on the pi?
My router is too far away for my cables and i am not able to install wireless lan after reading several tutorials.

Isn´t there a complete image with everything installed somewhere?

petrockblog

Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:02 am

Flipp wrote:Hi guys, i tried to install my pi for retroPie but i don´t get it. Raspian is running, but how can i install the retroPie without internet connection on the pi?
My router is too far away for my cables and i am not able to install wireless lan after reading several tutorials.

Isn´t there a complete image with everything installed somewhere?
Unfortunately, an internet connection is needed by the RetroPie script. There were posts about a complete image >>here<<. Maybe they can help you out.

ipnd

Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:26 am

Since the new GPU driver got pulled from the firmware, we are now golden! Everything mostly works perfect except for a few small glitches and crashes on some ROMS. The most annoying thing I noticed is that after playing a game for a while and returning to emulationstation, sometimes the fonts on the gamelist gets so massively fubar that it is unreadable.. Minor problem though.

Flipp

Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:41 am

petrockblog wrote: Unfortunately, an internet connection is needed by the RetroPie script. There were posts about a complete image >>here<<. Maybe they can help you out.
Ok thank you, i will buy a long network cable.

hawksd20

Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:01 pm

Installing from binaries for some reason did not install EmulationStation and when I tried to install just EmulationStation from source just now it started installing everything.

Flipp

Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:29 pm

I buyed a long cable and installed everything. I put some snes roms in the folder and plugged in a 360 wireless controller but at the Keyboard map Screen i can not do anything. No skipping by using the Keyboard or mapping a keyboard or 360 Controller key.

Sorry i am a real noob at his linux stuff. What do i have to do?

Return to “Gaming”