danny_bhoy67

Re: RetroPie Setup - Auto-installer/updater for RetroArch ga

Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:52 pm

Hi all,

I'm relatively new to all of this and just need a few pointers to help me on my way please.

I am currently running a few emulators relatively successfully through RetroPie with emulationstation as a front end.

The main emulators I've been messing with at the moment are Megadrive (works more or less faultlessly with most games I've tried), SNES (works fine with the few games I've tried although I need to set the config to stretch the aspect ratio, can't seem to make it stick) and PSX (some games are playable, but most that I've tried have been laggy and poor quality - I'm sure I just have to keep tinkering with the settings to find a sweet spot) and I intend to put Mupen64 on there too at some point (I have a guide for doing this through the terminal, but have no idea how I'd add it into RetroPie/ES so any advice if this is possible would be ideal!).

My main question then is how do I make sure that these emulators i am running are the most up to date and stable versions possible? I understand that i have to go into RetroPie settings and run some updates through there. I'm just not too sure on the difference between updating binaries and source based installations etc. Can someone please explain to me the update process and what each of the sections in the settings are for? Oh and any further advice on getting the N64 emulator integrated into RetroPie/Es would be great too.

Hopefully this makes some sense, sorry if I've rambled on!

Aloshi

Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:26 pm

The binaries-based installation will download the latest binaries that have been compiled and uploaded by petrockblog, which are usually somewhat out-of-date depending on the emulator (some emulators, like RetroArch, change frequently, while others have barely changed in a year, like gpSP). The source-based installation downloads the latest source code and compiles it, which usually takes a looong time. You can run the source-based installation and use the space bar to only select certain emulators to update. I would say it's usually not worth the hassle of updating through the latest sources - compiling stuff yourself often takes multiple hours, and the performance improvements are slim (if any).

Also I think RetroPie has a Mupen64 option now. If you still want to do it yourself, adding an emulator to ES is not very difficult once you figure out the command line arguments. This should help.

danny_bhoy67

Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:22 am

Thanks for the explanation, it is all a bit clearer now. I think I will avoid compiling from source of my own accord, as there doesn't seem to be any major benefits to it from my point of view. It is a useful distinction to have though.

So I just ran an update of the setup script and updated the binaries and low and behold Mupen64 is now in there! :)

I managed to load some roms in and fiddle with the es_systems.cfg to allow me to launch straight from ES. As you mentioned, the command line arguments took a bit of thinking, but with a bit of trial and error all seems well.

Now on to trying to tweak my PSX and N64 emulators to actually allow me to use the roms in a playable state!!!

Thanks again.

reizaaditra

Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:14 am

hello, I've managed to install retropie in raspbian
I have a problem with the controller
when the front view (emulationstaion) I can choose to use the joystick ps2, but why when I want to play the game, I have to use the keyboard?
how to set the controller when you want to play games?

terima kasih

AMG94

Thu May 08, 2014 2:49 pm

so im going though the script to download the retropie setup...However i keep running into
fatal: unable to connect to github.com:
github.com[0: 192.30.252.128] : errno=Connection timed out

and ive tried re-starting and what not but this timeout err keeps on occuring. i was wondering if anyone had any solutions? :twisted:

freiform

Sun May 11, 2014 11:30 am

Hi,

is anyone aware if it is possible/reasonable (read: invest less time than it takes to comile on the RPI) to cross compile RetroPie using a GNU/Linux-System or by emulating the RPI-System itself using qemu or the like?

Hopefully, this has not been answered before..

Thank you..

aaa801

Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:24 am

freiform wrote:Hi,

is anyone aware if it is possible/reasonable (read: invest less time than it takes to comile on the RPI) to cross compile RetroPie using a GNU/Linux-System or by emulating the RPI-System itself using qemu or the like?

Thank you..
I am working on this, seems that cross compile is quite easy due to the layout of retropie's script system, just have to neaten up a couple things first

ProfessorKaos64

Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:43 pm

freiform wrote:Hi,

Thank you..
I am working on something like RetroPie, but with XBMC+ROM Collection Browser, I don't have the xsession going right to XBMC at the moment (still starts unity), but I have a good start, and am doing a whole rewrite to work in script modules, rather than the current 1600 lines of bash code. I'm a n00b at a larger project like this, but if you want to check it out:

https://github.com/ProfessorKaos64/RetroRig

Cougar281

Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:07 am

As of the auto-installer I used last week, it doesn't install right on Raspian Wheezy without modification. I had to modify all of the files in '/RetroPie-Setup/scriptmodules' and add '--force-yes' to every 'apt-get install -y' line as MANY packages could not be verified and thus failed to install. The result was RetroPie failed to start.

petrockblog

Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:24 am

Cougar281 wrote:As of the auto-installer I used last week, it doesn't install right on Raspian Wheezy without modification. I had to modify all of the files in '/RetroPie-Setup/scriptmodules' and add '--force-yes' to every 'apt-get install -y' line as MANY packages could not be verified and thus failed to install. The result was RetroPie failed to start.
Thanks for that hint! I have updated the RetroPie-Setup Script accordingly.
fun stuff for technics enthusiasts: www.petrockblock.com

Haris1977

RetroPie Controller Setup

Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:27 am

Greetings all !

I ve managed to configure RetroPie to my Rasppi. I also connected my ps3 controller (with bluetooth dongle) and all seems fine. I can play nes, snes (with audio glitches though), pce, gba games with my controller setup. My problem is with

1) FBA and
2) MAME roms.

1 - In FBA while i can load some games my gamepad doesnt respond. How can i map gamepad keys to FBA? (i played 1944 but the only button that work inside game are left analog stick for move and select for fire. With R2 the game exits). I need to remap gamepad for FBA only

2 - I cannot load any MAME romset. I use the correct one (0.37b5) but when i load the game it says the "..missing file" message and goes back to emulation station.

Please i am all eyes (i am a linux noob) :)

kurtdcobain

Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:34 pm

hi, I can't install RetroPie, when I start ./retropie_setup.sh, select Binaries-based Installation but set-up stop after SNES9X-RPi with these errors

Code: Select all

Did not find needed package(s): libsdl-dev. I am trying to install them now.
"libsdl1.2-dev è già alla versione più recente.
0 aggiornati, 0 installati, 0 da rimuovere e 1 non aggiornati.
Could not install package(s): libsdl-dev. Aborting now."
could someone help me?

homerotl

Sat Jul 19, 2014 3:17 am

I'm having the same problem. Any luck so far?
kurtdcobain wrote:hi, I can't install RetroPie, when I start ./retropie_setup.sh, select Binaries-based Installation but set-up stop after SNES9X-RPi with these errors

Did not find needed package(s): libsdl-dev. I am trying to install them now.
"libsdl1.2-dev è già alla versione più recente.
0 aggiornati, 0 installati, 0 da rimuovere e 1 non aggiornati.
Could not install package(s): libsdl-dev. Aborting now."
could someone help me?

mad_marko

Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:13 pm

hi all if I have 2.2, and I run a sudo apt-get update then upgrade, will it upgrade me to 2.3 for the latest bug fixes?

Or is the fresh SD image the only way forward?

rich139luck

Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:02 am

Hi, firstly a big thank you for all the hard work of the developers.

I have installed retropie and all is good but have a couple of questions......

When I start a game from ES It flips to terminal briefly before starting and does the same for a couple (maybe 3-5) of seconds when exiting and then returns to ES. Is this normal?

I am using a HDMI cable to a hd tv. The TV seems to switch from HDMI to DVI when this happens.

Any help or advice would be great.

melzk

Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:26 pm

I am stuck when try to update the retropie binarys

Any clues?Image

expandables

Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:39 pm

Anyway to put wpagui on screen to be able to setup wifi?
By thinking like an engineer you can create a raspberry pi.
Michael Jackson enthusiast.
I got the PI model B, B+ and PI 2 model B.
When will I get the A? I don't know.

GreenAdder

Sun Oct 05, 2014 6:30 pm

I'm trying to set up configs for each individual emulator (different sound frequencies, different inputs, etc). But I'm sort of at a loss about binding buttons. Each individual system seems to have its own naming scheme.

The basic RetroArch configuration is pretty straightforward:

input_player1_joypad_index = "0"
input_player1_a_btn = "1"
input_player1_b_btn = "0"
input_player1_x_btn = "3"
input_player1_y_btn = "2"
and so on...

But where can I find a specific list of button names for each system? Does the NES still use "input_player1_a_btn" or is its own "A" button called something else? What about TG16, Genesis, etc.? The Wiki seems to be empty when it comes to such things.

Thanks.

expandables

Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:39 pm

Again Can i put wpagui on the home screen of emulationstation? If so how can I do this?
By thinking like an engineer you can create a raspberry pi.
Michael Jackson enthusiast.
I got the PI model B, B+ and PI 2 model B.
When will I get the A? I don't know.

quixotrykd

Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:01 am

How would I change the control scheme for each individual emulator? Thanks for the help in advance.

samanello

Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:00 pm

I had the same issue and here is what my extremely unconventional way to get it to work was. You see, apparently, the MAME emulator itself is the issue as it will only assign a maximum of 16 inputs per joystick. There is a guy out there with another project called retrocade that recompiled the mame4pi somehow to get it to work. I say somehow because I couldn't for the life of me figure it out. Since I personally like RetroPie better, I did the following.

1 Get yourself 2 SD Cards
2 put image of RetroPie on 1
3 put image of Raspicade on another
4 boot pi with raspicade image
5 Now, you can configure raspicade to work, but that isn't our goal. So exit the front end to a console prompt and then terminal into raspicade from your pc and copy the entire mame4all-pi directory
6 Now boot the Pi with RetroPie
7 Again quit emulation station to a console prompt
8 Go to your pc and replace raspicades mame4all-pi with the one you copied before the location is /opt/retropie/emulators/mame4all-pi/

9 Now you need to edit the directory section of /opt/retropie/emulators/mame4all-pi/mame.cfg to look like this. Make sure you have permission to save.

[directory]
inp=inp
nvram=nvram
hi=hi
cfg=cfg
snap=snap
memcard=memcard
sta=sta
artwork=artwork
cheat=.
rompath=/home/pi/RetroPie/roms/mame
samplepath=/home/pi/RetroPie/roms/mame/samples

Now go into MAME itself and map the buttons. You don't mamp the buttons for MAME with esconfig on either system.

good luck!

By the way Note that your sound samples and gamelist.xml will now need to go in the same folder as your roms, but you can change that too.

rpi25

Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:35 am

Hi, thank you very much for all your work on this! I'm super stoked to get it running, finally beat Jet Force Gemini / other games I lost with my old systems!

I just tried installing it and ran into some errors. I'm hoping someone who's been there before can look at the output and see if there's any simple thing I'm overlooking?

pi@raspbmc:~$ emulationstation
ERROR - tried to write to log file before it was open! The following won't be logged:
lvl2:   EmulationStation - v2.0.0-rc1, built Feb 14 2015 - 05:12:24
ERROR - tried to write to log file before it was open! The following won't be logged:
lvl2:   Creating surface...
lvl0:   Error creating SDL window!
        Could not initialize OpenGL / GLES library
lvl0:   Renderer failed to initialize!
lvl0:   Window failed to initialize!
/usr/bin/emulationstation: line 11: 15949 Segmentation fault      $es_bin "$@"
pi@raspbmc:~$ sudo emulationstation
Creating config directory "/root/.emulationstation"
lvl0:   Error creating SDL window!
        Could not initialize OpenGL / GLES library
lvl0:   Renderer failed to initialize!
lvl0:   Window failed to initialize!
pi@raspbmc:~$
As you can see, I installed this on raspbmc on raspberry pi, model B+

I first tried compiling it from github, but after 36 hours of running it still wasn't done, and I had run out of space on my SD card. So I stopped, cleared it all off, then tried installing the binaries. It went much more smoothly, after an hour or so was finished.

when I went to launch it I get these errors, any idea about what I need to fix?

Thanks!

rpi25

Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:50 pm

So, I ditched my raspbmc distro and switched over to Raspbian so I could get this to work.

Setup script worked nicely, initially I could not get emulators to launch, but I realized that was because there are a few things you need (like runcommand) down at the bottom of the list when selecting which items to compile.

Anyways, now I have compiled EmulationStation, RetroArch, Mupen64Plus Libretro, and the necessary things like runcommand, joypad, xbox 360 controller, etc.

I can start emulation station and launch n64 games, however, they are not running very well. For instance, Super Mario 64 runs at ~50-75% speed. (this is strange, because when I was playing around with the retropie SD image this rom ran just fine). Also, Mario Kart 64 loads but the first screen is all blurred out and won't go anywhere. Jet Force Gemini starts to load, but just gets stuck on start screen. Same thing with Zelda Ocarina.

Any idea about what I can do to make this work better?

Secondly, I notice there are multiple choices for n64 emulator, snes emulator, etc. Which one is the one to use?

Thanks!

mjb152

Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:09 pm

Hi, I installed manually on Raspbian as per the instructions on https://github.com/petrockblog/RetroPie-Setup
I don't see a N64 or SNES emulator when I launch emulationstation, so how do I get those to appear ?
I re-ran the retropie_setup.sh script and added experimental packages 115 (N64 MUPEN64Plus) and also the ARMSNES binary , but still neither appear in the main launcher.
How best to proceed ?

Return to “Gaming”