Re: RetroPie Setup - Auto-installer/updater for RetroArch ga

Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:25 am

Weird, I've had no problems with just doing (if I remember right):

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install xboxdrv
then opening up a different terminal (Ctrl-Alt-F2) and doing

xboxdrv --silent
Then switching back to terminal 1 (Ctrl-Alt-F1) and running ES/RetroArch (though I do get some slowdown in some emulators unless I overclock, likely related to USB interrupts).

petrockblog

Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:46 am

I just ordered an used XBox 360 controller. As soon as it arrives I will add an option for installing xboxdrv with the RetroPie Script.
fun stuff for technics enthusiasts: www.petrockblock.com

Flipp

Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:51 am

It was just a Test with the 360 Controlller, i already have two SNES Joypads.

The Main Problem is, even my keyboard doesn´t do anything in this button map screen. I can´t skip it or map keyboard buttons.

Edit: Ok i have got it with another USB - Pad!
Last edited by Flipp on Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

JRT

Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:52 am

I also successfully used the xboxdrv as described above. Can't wait for it to be added to the script - this is great work.

petrockblog

Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:14 am

JRT wrote:I also successfully used the xboxdrv as described above. Can't wait for it to be added to the script - this is great work.
You would do me a great favour if you would post the relevant configuration steps and settings in order to adjust the key mappings to the emulator(s) :-)
fun stuff for technics enthusiasts: www.petrockblock.com

teeth_03

Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:54 am

The problem is, i think it needs setup differently than the wireless config. I had to specifically launch the driver twice to get the driver to work with 2 controllers, and thats by assigning 2 wireless ids to the controller. When i get home, ill post my config.

robertybob

Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:07 am

Can someone help me, I've added roms into both the nes and gba folders but when I load emulationstation all there is on the screen is Doom and prboom - I can't go up or down with the keyboard but pressing enter closes everything then the same window pops up again . Very confused :(

JRT

Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:13 pm

petrockblog wrote:
JRT wrote:I also successfully used the xboxdrv as described above. Can't wait for it to be added to the script - this is great work.
You would do me a great favour if you would post the relevant configuration steps and settings in order to adjust the key mappings to the emulator(s) :-)
My image got corrupted recently so I've not got it working at the moment - but from memory I did the following:-

- Installed xboxdrv from the repo
- Ran xboxdrv --silent (as the guy above did)
- Ran the joypad config utility that the scripts install (as I said I'm a bit hazy on this ATM and don't have time to look it up - but it's the config thing that gets installed with the emulators)
- Started emulationstation, it picked up my pad and configured it

There's probably loads of steps I missed off, as it was a long process of messing about to get it to work. However, I think with a little practice the installation procedure could be very simple.

If you run into problems post here and I can try installing it from a fresh image.

JRT

Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:15 pm

robertybob wrote:Can someone help me, I've added roms into both the nes and gba folders but when I load emulationstation all there is on the screen is Doom and prboom - I can't go up or down with the keyboard but pressing enter closes everything then the same window pops up again . Very confused :(
Did you try pressing left or right to switch to the other emulators?

leathco

Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:37 pm

I'm having problems getting my controller working in-game. It works fine in the emulationstation frontend though. I have tried using retroarch-joyconfig, and that tool picks up the controller inputs fine. I have tried the ./retroarch-joyconfig >> ~/.retroarch.cfg command, but it is just creating a new configuration file with only the controller input. I have tried manually adding the contents of the new configuration file to the original one, finding the lines and adding the proper values, but that also is not working. Is there a way to manually load the configuration file, maybe it's not checking for the controller input when loading?

It's frustrating because after a few hours of work I am SO CLOSE, the controller works using the configuration tool AND in the frontend.

***edit*** not sure if this matters, but my controller is a wireless Logitech F710. Cheaper than a 36t0 controller but if its working in the menus and the config tool it should work with the emulators, also no extra drivers to set up, just plug in the USB dongle and play.

Aloshi

Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:52 pm

leathco wrote:I'm having problems getting my controller working in-game. It works fine in the emulationstation frontend though. I have tried using retroarch-joyconfig, and that tool picks up the controller inputs fine. I have tried the ./retroarch-joyconfig >> ~/.retroarch.cfg command, but it is just creating a new configuration file with only the controller input. I have tried manually adding the contents of the new configuration file to the original one, finding the lines and adding the proper values, but that also is not working. Is there a way to manually load the configuration file, maybe it's not checking for the controller input when loading?
If you suspect RetroArch isn't loading the config file you're giving it, you can specify the config file with the -c argument, e.g. "retroarch -c ~/.retroarch.cfg". You can add this argument to the frontend launch commands by editing ~/.emulationstation/es_systems.cfg. I don't think it loads ~/.retroarch.cfg by default.

I think the proper way to output the retroarch-joyconfig to a config file is with the -o argument, something like "./retroarch-joyconfig -o ~/.retroarch.cfg". I'm not sure if it appends or not. You can probably get a list of all the arguments retroarch-joyconfig supports with the -h argument ("./retroarch-joyconfig -h").

Flipp

Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:38 pm

Aloshi wrote:
leathco wrote:I'm having problems getting my controller working in-game. It works fine in the emulationstation frontend though. I have tried using retroarch-joyconfig, and that tool picks up the controller inputs fine. I have tried the ./retroarch-joyconfig >> ~/.retroarch.cfg command, but it is just creating a new configuration file with only the controller input. I have tried manually adding the contents of the new configuration file to the original one, finding the lines and adding the proper values, but that also is not working. Is there a way to manually load the configuration file, maybe it's not checking for the controller input when loading?
If you suspect RetroArch isn't loading the config file you're giving it, you can specify the config file with the -c argument, e.g. "retroarch -c ~/.retroarch.cfg". You can add this argument to the frontend launch commands by editing ~/.emulationstation/es_systems.cfg. I don't think it loads ~/.retroarch.cfg by default.

I think the proper way to output the retroarch-joyconfig to a config file is with the -o argument, something like "./retroarch-joyconfig -o ~/.retroarch.cfg". I'm not sure if it appends or not. You can probably get a list of all the arguments retroarch-joyconfig supports with the -h argument ("./retroarch-joyconfig -h").
I have the same controller problem, could someone please upload or send (a link for) the standard es_systems.cfg?

In my case it wasn´t created in the ES folder.

Aloshi

Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:48 pm

Flipp wrote: I have the same controller problem, could someone please upload or send (a link for) the standard es_systems.cfg?

If es_systems.cfg isn't found, ES writes a default (which contains instructions), quits, and asks you to go read it. Are you sure you're checking the right folder (not the folder that the ES program is in, but the hidden folder in your home directory)? Does "nano ~/.emulationstation/es_systems.cfg" work?

Flipp

Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:12 pm

Aloshi wrote:
Flipp wrote: I have the same controller problem, could someone please upload or send (a link for) the standard es_systems.cfg?

If es_systems.cfg isn't found, ES writes a default (which contains instructions), quits, and asks you to go read it. Are you sure you're checking the right folder (not the folder that the ES program is in, but the hidden folder in your home directory)? Does "nano ~/.emulationstation/es_systems.cfg" work?
Ok, thank you! Found the hidden folder with the es_systems.config and the es_input.cfg.

In the systems.cfg there is nothing about controls or screen Resulution, because i also have a Problem with cutted sides in the ES menu, not ingame. And in the input.cfg are just a few things like
Button 2 5.

Edit: and the systems_config doesnt have any instructions inside :(
Last edited by Flipp on Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

leathco

Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:12 pm

I got my controller working.....strangely it took me running ./retroarch-joyconfig -o ~/.retroarch.cfg first, than following with ./retroarch-joyconfig -o /.retroarch.cfg. Not sure why that is, but it got it working for me. I have no clue why though.......now to make a backup of my SD card so I don't lose my work.

Flipp

Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:24 pm

leathco wrote:I got my controller working.....strangely it took me running ./retroarch-joyconfig -o ~/.retroarch.cfg first, than following with ./retroarch-joyconfig -o /.retroarch.cfg. Not sure why that is, but it got it working for me. I have no clue why though.......now to make a backup of my SD card so I don't lose my work.
Nice one! This worked for me too! Thanks

Now my last problem...
How can i change the Screenresultion for the ES menu. My one is way bigger than the standard Tv one and i can´t read the first 10 letter of the Game Names. Raspberry resolution is ok, Game resolution too, just the ES menu.

Aloshi

Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:32 pm

Flipp wrote: How can i change the Screenresultion for the ES menu.
You should be able to pass a desired resolution through the command line with something like:

emulationstation -w 1024 -h 768
I haven't tested this since the new OpenGL renderer rewrite, so I'm not sure if it'll be centered/scale correctly - if it doesn't, let me know, I'll look into it.

robertybob

Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:52 pm

JRT wrote:
robertybob wrote:Can someone help me, I've added roms into both the nes and gba folders but when I load emulationstation all there is on the screen is Doom and prboom - I can't go up or down with the keyboard but pressing enter closes everything then the same window pops up again . Very confused :(
Did you try pressing left or right to switch to the other emulators?
Yep , but nothing happens. My keyboard and mouse are ps/2 and connected via USB, and I installed retropie from binaries: would that make any diffence?

leathco

Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:08 pm

And now for....performance! My Pi is set at 900 mhz, still getting a lot of lag on the Genesis emulator, as well as the SNES emulator. Running via HDMI might be part of my problem tho, maybe it takes a lot more processing power running the hi-def? Considering trying to drop sound quality in the cfg file to see if that would help....any other tricks I can do to boost performance?

Flipp

Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:58 pm

Aloshi wrote:
Flipp wrote: How can i change the Screenresultion for the ES menu.
You should be able to pass a desired resolution through the command line with something like:

emulationstation -w 1024 -h 768
I haven't tested this since the new OpenGL renderer rewrite, so I'm not sure if it'll be centered/scale correctly - if it doesn't, let me know, I'll look into it.

Thanks, but this doesn´t work.
I am connecting the cinch TV out so the Resolution should be 720x576.. but it doesnt work with the -w -h

Aloshi

Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:51 pm

Flipp wrote: Thanks, but this doesn´t work.
I am connecting the cinch TV out so the Resolution should be 720x576.. but it doesnt work with the -w -h
Hmm, that's strange. Try writing ES's output to a log file, like this:

emulationstation > log.txt
Then check what's in the log file with:

less log.txt
Near the top, it should say something like "Creating surface...WIDTHxHEIGHT...success!" What's the width and height it's coming up with? Does it change properly if you try to specify it?

Flipp

Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:15 am

Aloshi wrote:
Flipp wrote: Thanks, but this doesn´t work.
Hmm, that's strange. Try writing ES's output to a log file, like this:

Then check what's in the log file with:

less log.txt
Near the top, it should say something like "Creating surface...WIDTHxHEIGHT...success!" What's the width and height it's coming up with? Does it change properly if you try to specify it?
The log.txt is completely empty (0 lines). I tried it with

and

emulationstation -h 720 -w 576 > log.txt
Both times the same.

rikels

Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:38 pm

Will DosBox also be supported in the future? I believe that the hardware is good enough to support most of the games, correct me if i'm wrong.

Aloshi

Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:21 pm

Flipp wrote:The log.txt is completely empty (0 lines). I tried it with

and

emulationstation -h 720 -w 576 > log.txt
Both times the same.
Okay, that's really weird. Try just running "clear", running ES, then immediately closing ES (press F4). Does the resolution info show up on your terminal then?

Return to “Gaming”