kfricke

Minecraft Server

Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:26 am

Hello!

This post is about hosting a Minecraft server on the RasPi and not playing Minecraft client on it! There are several threads in this forum which already got into that matter. Those about the Minecraft server have some misleading topic and therefor got partially hijacked as well.
So here is my summary and progress on this topic. Of course i am standing on this forum's shoulders and other sources, which i hope to credit in the necessary places.

Minecraft Server on the RasPi

TL;DR: The rasPi can run an alternative Minecraft server for a small group of players. It can not run the official Minecraft server (yet). Only an vanilla game is possible using the alternative MC-Server (no RedPower 2, Buildcraft, etc.).

After playing around with the ability to run the original Minecraft Server on the RasPi i was at first hoping that a small group of players could run on the original Java-based server software. With the OpenJDK and the Cocoa VM it indeed did start up.
Sadly the memory footprint was somewhat higher than i did assume from my previous tests on the Intel platform. So even connecting only one player was a nightmare and is no joy and far from playable. Memory swapping, high load and even the erratic process killing by the Linux kernel happened, when all memory (real + swap) is used up by the minecraft process and the system.
Besides the memory consumption it still is questionable if the CPU can run the Java implementation of the Minecraft server. Considering my following experience i doubt this!

So i ditched the idea of the original minecraft server and headed towards the alternative Minecraft server implementations (even while i am still hoping that the foundation might announce an 512MB or even 1GB variant of the RasPi ;-) ).

It was already mentioned in this forum and after digging around in the huge wilderness of unfinished and stale Minecraft server implementations i reapproached the MC-Server variant. It still is in active development and was a promising approach.
Other alternative Minecraft server implementation have been and still may be around. All i could find out about them was that they use other high-resource-intensive and inappropriate technologies (.net and other interpreted languages) or that their development got fall asleep. Some even got bought up by Mojang, the makers of Minecraft. So maybe there is hope for an less resource intensive official Minecraft server in the near future. The current development versions of the official Minecraft client already do integrate a server as a base for the single-player game... let's see!

On the official Debian Wheezy image it did run a lot faster than the original Minecraft server, mostly based on the fact that the MC-Server is implemented in C++ instead of Java and has a lot lower resource consumption. Still this server can reach the limits of the RasPi very quickly. But at least it was possible to connect one Minecraft client to it, even if (sadly) still not really playable. The high CPU constraint of the MC-Server was exhausting the joy this time.

But there was another optimization on the horizon... the Rasbian images showed up. Really promising because there is a lot of floating point stuff in an 3D game server going on, which this optimized Debian distribution is aiming at. So when my spare time made it possible and after the images were officially announced, i switched on one of my Raspis to this distribution and gave it another try.

The result is amazing. The startup time reduced significantly (from 25 seconds to 15 iirc). This time included loading the previously generated base level as well, which did not get mentioned in the other threads about this variant of the minecraft server. Creating and populating the Minecraft world took about two minutes when i started the MC-Server for the first time on the previously used Debian Wheezy image (armel).
Comprehensive tests to compare the performance may be done, but as the old (armel) Debian image was no joy at all, this would be waste of time.
Now i can even connect to the server using an up-to-date vanilla Minecraft client (version 1.2.5). Yesterday evening i did play around solo on the server and problems i did encounter was a crash of the MC-Server whie i had dinner. Currently i do compile the MC-Server after updating it to the current (trunk) version from their SVN repository.
The diffs from the update show significant changes in the implementation of the game logic. There are stil missing Minecraft features and supposedly bugs, but at least our RasPis now can host a server for a serious and fun game!

If there is enough interest in this topic we should forward the status to the MC-Server developers. Maybe we can push and support their project this way.

Of course there is the question about legality regarding MC-Server. I'd appreciate a professional answer regarding this. Please do not give amateurish opinions, i could do this myself. All i see is that the MC-Server setting i will use, does check the account validity of the connecting Minecraft client against Mojang's authenticating web servers. Be aware to not use stolen software, as that definitively is a crime.

Have Fun!

kfricke

Re: Minecraft Server

Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:51 pm

Because my forum account can not post private messages (yet), I can not answer a private message I got regarding the term "legality regarding mc-server". So here is my answer publicly:

In fact only Mojang and the EULA might answer this question: "Official Minecraft Terms of Usage" - http://www.minecraft.net/terms

As far as i understand the usage of the software and even modifying it is allowed by Mojang. Only selling and redistributing a modified version is not allowed.
So the non-commercial and even commercial usage of the software MC-Server does not violate their terms of use, nor is illegal when you use a valid Minecraft account.
But i can not tell if, developing the software which involves reverse-engineering the Minecraft protocol, does violate this. At the first glimpse this does not seem to be so as well.

I think i need to dig a little deeper to find an representative answer to this question. Does anyone want to assist me with this?

shiroitaka

Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:02 am

Good luck with this, I hope you can write a guide for us noobs :)

scep

Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:04 am

kfricke wrote:Because my forum account can not post private messages (yet),....
should be OK now.

ryanteck

Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:36 am

Essentially then bukkit would also be affected by law. Not until recently did it become semi official.

I have had Mineserver.be running on my pi well with 4 players, stuff like generating spawn with a larger radius makes it faster and also just having flatland made it faster.

The version 2 (Which may be not supported for a while) of mineserver is planned to support clustering which looked good, then you could run the server over 1/2 Pi.

kfricke

Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:51 pm

ryanteck wrote:Essentially then bukkit would also be affected by law. Not until recently did it become semi official.
If i did understand the circumstances correctly the developing company got bought up by Mojang and the developers do now work on the official server? Or did i misunderstand that?
I have had Mineserver.be running on my pi well with 4 players, stuff like generating spawn with a larger radius makes it faster and also just having flatland made it faster.

The version 2 (Which may be not supported for a while) of mineserver is planned to support clustering which looked good, then you could run the server over 1/2 Pi.
Ok, looks as good/bad as with the MC-Server website, the documentation is rudimentary at least. So could you or anyone else describe the implementation details/progress in comparison to the vanilla minecraft server?
As with MC-Server i did already spot some major differences or not yet implemented features. Besides only beeing able to play vanilla minecraft (without any further mods), these facts do also influence the acceptance of the minecraft server among my buddies. And thereby directly the reason behind my efforts to set things up :-/

blc

Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:02 pm

Sadly I think that a Pi-based Minecraft server is definitely off the cards for me. At the very minimum I would want to run Bukkit, as I want access to some plugins that I consider essential (priority 1 being HawkEye, as it's a very effective anti-griefing tool)... Lately I've moved on to Tekkit and have rented a dedicated Minecraft server; I have 4GB of RAM allocated and even with only 2/3 players connected, memory usage approaches 40-50%. Even when I used Bukkit I still needed 1GB of RAM to support 5/6 players...

As a cautionary note for potential server admins, I ran a whitelisted server for myself and a few friends a while back and it got griefed really badly. I have no idea how the whitelist was bypassed (could have been a bug in early vanilla SMP code) or how the server IP address was found, but I connected one day and found lava flooding everyone's builds and TNT craters everywhere. This was with vanilla minecraft, so short of having world backups (which I didn't have) there was no way to roll back the damage. If anyone is considering running a vanilla (unmodified) minecraft server, whether it's on the Pi or not, I would strongly recommend isolating it from a publicly-accessible internet connection. In fact, I would go so far as to say that the Pi should not be considered for any minecraft server that has a connection to the internet; it simply doesn't have the power or memory to install all the tools that you will need as a server admin. Even with powerful hardware, plenty of admin tools and a working whitelist, I still keep a close eye on the server logs for rejected connection attempts and warning messages about player activity.

Slightly off topic, but... In case anyone hasn't heard of it, Tekkit is based on Bukkit but includes a pile of very cool (and some very complex) mods; it's still Minecraft underneath, but there's so much extra content and so many new things to build that it's practically a new game. I'm currently in the process of building a nuclear power facility on my server, and we plan to have at least 50 self-regulated reactors providing power for all players. I highly recommend checking it out!

cave

Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:25 pm

Hi,

have you checked the performance from the MCServer on the Raspi with Turbomode?

Assuming, this should give a significantly Speed Boost.
http://cavebeat.blogspot.co.at

WestMD

Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:41 am

ryanteck wrote:Essentially then bukkit would also be affected by law. Not until recently did it become semi official.

Hi, Can you please elaborate a little bit on how you installed mine server.be on the pi? There is no linux install, only explanation. I 'm a little bit of a linux noob and didn't succeed in installing the separate files.

Davespice
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:11 pm

WestMD wrote:Hi, Can you please elaborate a little bit on how you installed mine server.be on the pi? There is no linux install, only explanation. I 'm a little bit of a linux noob and didn't succeed in installing the separate files.
Take a look here;
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 78&t=33678

ButterLover64

Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:08 am

I have to agree, btw theres a huge post here about hosting that i think makes for a good read.

Return to “Gaming”