Smithers

RetroPie / KODI / Raspbian – Triple-Boot build

Sun Sep 20, 2015 6:43 pm

Hi.

So its been a bit more tricky than first expected, but at long last – here is my RetroPie / KODI (OpenELEC) / Raspbian triple boot build:

*REMOVED*

As usual, this is a NOOBS installer build and installing via USB stick is HIGHLY recommended for this one, as the .tar files are on the large side at over 3.5GB.

RetroPie setup is the same as my other 7.2 builds.

OpenELEC is v14.2 and is my own ‘minimal’ build, however I have added the ‘Spartan’ repo ready for if you want to install the Beast Build etc.

Raspbian is fully updated and has the following applications installed:

Full Libre Office Suite
GIMP photo editing software
Cairo-Dock (with xcompmgr to enable transparency)
VLC Media Player
Chromium web browser
xscreensaver (to remove screen blanking)

Also added a splash screen to the bootup sequence and a few tweaks to the desktop to make it more pleasing to the eye.

Please read the ‘README’ file included for full instructions and troubleshooting.

Cheers.
Steve
Last edited by Smithers on Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sewmeister

Re: RetroPie / KODI / Raspbian – Triple-Boot build

Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:05 pm

When you say OpenELEC is v14.2, you mean 5.0.8 stable right? And thanks for your hard and great work

Smithers

Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:13 am

sewmeister wrote:When you say OpenELEC is v14.2, you mean 5.0.8 stable right? And thanks for your hard and great work
That's right - OpenELEC v5.0.8 which is KODI v14.2 "Helix".

I found problems with KODI Isengard builds so I have moved away from them for now.

hawsey

Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:43 pm

Great build , thank you so much , I've just installed provisionally to a 32 GB micro SD card to mess on with but it all went without a hitch , had a quick game of Doom from RetroPie :-) .
A couple of questions , apologies if the info is elsewhere but I cannot connect wirelessly , before I tried your triple boot build I tried Raspbian and as soon as I plugged in my Edimax wireless USB it was recognized and I put in my password and that was it :
On Raspbian now it says WiFi Networks dhcpcdui and a box comes up Network preferences with Interface or Ssid , but I can't work out where I put my password , sorry .
Also when I have finished messing about would this build install on to a small 750 GB external hard drive I have ?

I must say this build is a real thing of beauty and I'm sure I'm going to have lots of fun with it .
Thanks in advance

skryptus

Sun Sep 27, 2015 10:23 pm

Hi there!

So, I'm very much interested in getting a Raspberry Pi 2 for myself. Like many others here, I'm mostly interested in getting both a Media Station and a retro game console of sorts.

Although, I'd also like to do a bit of java programming, have a torrrent box and the occasional web browsing, Raspbian would probably be a better fit rather than either OpenELEC or Retropie, so this triple boot idea caught my attention - I'd use OpenELEC for media (although, to be honest, I'd like OSMC even better), Retropie for gaming, and Raspbian for everything else.

The thing is, since I'm still on the market, looking through the various component alternatives, I was wondering: how much space is actually required by this triple boot system after installing?
Meaning not just the partitions, but a safe microSD card size to run the three systems without any lag (keeping in mind that I'd probably keep all the media files and ROMs in a separate drive - either HDD or thumb drive, still not sure).

Thanks in advance for all the help, and for the development of both this triple-boot build and the dual-boot one.
I'm sure I'm not the only one whose interest in RPi2 got even more peaked upon finding a way of combining many possible uses in one install.

hawsey

Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:32 am

So I still couldn't get the wireless to work on this build but I had a mess about with it , I went in to RetroPi first , played a game , Then to Raspbian , had a look around and tried to get the wireless to work ; re booted then noticed my screen graphics had gone wrong ( I use a VGA to HDMI adapter so don't know if that made a difference ) re booted again , graphics still not right , then I tried via Raspbian to open Openelec and at this point the build broke , I just get the Openelec splash then no signal on my monitor , no buttons do anything , if I pull the plug and try again I now just get the same .
So I think I broke the build :-(
I might try again tonight .

BastianoDurazno

Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:22 pm

Would be great if you can add this option to your setup

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viSb9t-y7AU

it´s make a retro CRT style video output to the retro pi

hawsey

Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:36 pm

In case anybody else could learn from this ,
The triple boot build that I was messing about with on my Pi connected to a pc monitor via a hdmi to vga adapter was working ok apart from it not being able to see my wireless adapter and eventually it seemed to break when I swapped from rasplex to Openelec .
Tonight before wiping and starting again I thought I would try it connected up to my Samsung tv in case it was something to do with the Old monitor / adapter set up and low and behold it worked booting straight up in to Openelec and I was even more surprised to see CEC recognized and my TV remote working ok on Openelec , I then went from Retro Pi and then to Raspbian all good apart from the wireless is still not recognized .
I wonder if the OP uses Ethernet and the wireless bit of the build has been removed ?

noiz13

Sat Dec 12, 2015 5:56 pm

where can i find the file?

braggs

Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:44 pm

Does anyone have this file?

serge-404

Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:44 am

That is what I need. But where is the file???

GrayDizzle

Fri Jan 01, 2016 3:09 am

Would also love to get this.. I tried building basically the same thing almost a year ago, but never could get it to work :(

hawsey

Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:12 am

I have found a copy of this triple boot build , it works great :-)
send me a pm and I will share a Dropbox link for a short while .

draikko

Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:45 pm

Would love to get a link to this triple boot build, but I'm new to the board and can't figure out how to pm! Can anyone help me out here? Thanks...

hawsey

Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:29 pm

draikko wrote:Would love to get a link to this triple boot build, but I'm new to the board and can't figure out how to pm! Can anyone help me out here? Thanks...
I've sent you a pm with a link :-)

noiz13

Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:31 pm

Can you give a new link got a 404 server code

gref21

Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:47 am

I've successfully installed the tri-boot and it was working great until I installed the Beast Build for Kodi. My question is how do I switch between the 3 now? The option for games and raspbian is not there and I'm not sure how to add it. Any help would be appreciated.

draikko

Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:46 pm

hawsey wrote:
draikko wrote:Would love to get a link to this triple boot build, but I'm new to the board and can't figure out how to pm! Can anyone help me out here? Thanks...
I've sent you a pm with a link :-)
Thank you! Got it up and running...

infiniteloser

Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:22 am

Could I possibly get a link please.

joesmalls

Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:46 pm

can i get the link as well? thanks

hawsey

Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:59 pm

infiniteloser wrote:Could I possibly get a link please.
Pm sent 8-) enjoy .

hawsey

Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:59 pm

joesmalls wrote:can i get the link as well? thanks
Pm sent :-) enjoy.

tau49

Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:03 pm

are you still working and if yes is there a place where i can get the download to it.

infiniteloser

Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:14 pm

So I keep getting an error about properties not transferring is that normal.

hawsey

Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:54 pm

tau49 wrote:are you still working and if yes is there a place where i can get the download to it.
Pm sent , I haven't seen a post on this build from the dev for a while and the link got removed so probably not .

Return to “Gaming”