hummin

Built a handheld console, need suggestions for games

Fri May 29, 2015 3:15 pm

Hi all!

First time poster here.
I just built this console out of a R.Pi 2, d-link wifi (soldered inside), teensy, powerboost 500, adafruit stereo amplifier (w/ speakers), 2 analog sticks and lots of buttons... and a waveshare 5" display.
frontside.jpg
frontside.jpg (28.07 KiB) Viewed 2177 times
backside.jpg
backside.jpg (20.82 KiB) Viewed 2177 times
Now I'm trying to find games to play on it!
Emulators is a given but rarely use analog-sticks.
I've downloaded the joystick-fork of nxengine and is fiddling with the code to make it work perfectly.
Quake 3 I get to run but not yet with the joypads.

Any other suggestions?

mrpi64

Re: Built a handheld console, need suggestions for games

Fri May 29, 2015 5:30 pm

Doom would be an idea, and chocolate doom does support gamepads.
I'm happy to help.
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=78&t=51794 - List of games that work on the Pi.

mikronauts

Fri May 29, 2015 6:48 pm

The case looks really nice!
http://Mikronauts.com - home of EZasPi, RoboPi, Pi Rtc Dio and Pi Jumper @Mikronauts on Twitter
Advanced Robotics, I/O expansion and prototyping boards for the Raspberry Pi

mheyman

Sun May 31, 2015 5:46 am

Hey this looks great. I don't have an ideas for games but I'm really interested in this build. Did you happen to document your process? I'm new to all of this and am looking for any chance to learn from others processes.

ProDigit

Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:19 am

The location of both analog sticks, is pretty low.

ProDigit

Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:28 am

If you plan on making games from scratch, I would start with the basic ones:

Tetris, 4 in a row, OXO, some of the DOS text based adventure games can be ported,

Medium quality games:
Most of those you'd have to port DOS based games.
I'm thinking of Pinball fantasy, Stunts 4D drive, Tycoon games, (super) street fighter (2 turbo), Mortal Kombat, Doom, Loom, etc...
Some of those, you can directly port from Android OS.

The problem with a good game is, that it needs good graphics, good story line, and good music.
That's not easy to do if you're starting from scratch..

Djinny

Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:23 am

N64 (mupen64plus, using Rice video) The Legend of Zelda, Ocarina of time. Mine works almost perfectly, lens of truth doesn't work and rarely there's a few slowdowns.
N64, using n64 video *driver*, Starwars episode 1 - pod racer. Don't use the librerto versions if you can avoid it. They seem slower for some reason. This game is very high pace and does have a few graphical errors which are common with the game and n64 emulators on all platforms, but it's definitely very playable.

Gameboy advanced, gpSP, hacked Pokemon Emerald, Moemon, It's essentially pokemon emerald, except most of the pokemon are hybrids with adorable little girls. It's just really adorable.
Charmander and Charizard.

Playstation: Twisted metal 2, tony hawk series, bloody roar 2.. list goes on and on.

I really like your system by the way. It looks really nice and clean.
You listed it uses the powerboost, but tbh i'm not sure that's enough, i know it can put out more than the rated 500mA and adafruit had it stable at 1A, but i went for the powerboost 1000 in mine. insufficient power issues could be really bad, i read of SD corruption and the like.

What kind of battery do you have in it?
My RPi needs a fan, heat will leech into the battery, so people saying I don't need a fan, don't understand how Li-Po batteries are affected by high temps. Cool pi = cool battery.
I would very much so like to see a Pi2/Pi3 Zero, power and size.

hummin

Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:23 am

Thanks for all the response!

I've gotten some games to work already and am looking into getting the Godot engine to work.
This is my first electronics project so some things (like the low analog sticks) and some other details can definitely be improved.
I did document the whole thing and plan on releasing all of it, including the 123D-modell för 3d-printing.

I will try to get some of the games working that you guys have suggested after I'm done playing Cave Story on it! (NXEngine with some custom hacks)

Regards, Linus

ProDigit

Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:20 am

There are some of the older gaming console games (like the vectrex, intellivision, or Atari 2600) that are easy to make from scratch.
Not so popular, but it has it's flair. The vectrex also used overlays that are easy to program in a game.

If you plan on using the small screen resolution of the Pi lcd, you'd also be limited to which games you can run.
Mostly older games; but also some games like DOOM, or other 3D games might run fine at such lower resolutions.

Perhaps Android games require less effort to port than DOS games.

welshy

Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:23 am

hummin wrote:Emulators is a given but rarely use analog-sticks. Any other suggestions?
Welcome to the Forum! Firstly, awesome looking Handheld! The best I have seen within the Forum! (or elsewhere). Secondly, don't forget the PS1 and N64 can be Emulated on the Pi/Pi2, so those excellent looking Analogue Sticks (from a PS Pad Perhaps?) wouldn't be wasted, especially with Nintendo's System which in reality is unusable without them!
"The list of things I have heard now contains everything!"

Return to “Gaming”