windale

Re: Uae4arm: Amiga emulator with JIT and DispmanX

Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:50 pm

Thanks Trixter and Chips for figuring this out. Retropie is quite the buggy mess. It was indeed compiling the RPI1 version even though i'm on a RPI2. As a quick workaround I changed the setup script from this :-

if isPlatform "rpi"; then
make PLATFORM=rpi1 CPU_FLAGS=""
else
make PLATFORM=rpi2 CPU_FLAGS="-mfpu=neon"

to this :-

if isPlatform "rpi"; then
else

It worked and I now have the RTG memory option.

Trixster

Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:29 pm

Interesting, it's a little weird that it doesn't compile correctly in the first place.

I've noticed that the rpi2 correct version operates much faster tan the rpi version. Not really surprising.

Now, anyone else found an issue with alien breed 3D 2 and Jit? I have to turn Jit off to get it to start the first level, and then it slows to a crawl after a time with Jit enabled until it's deselected.

balric

Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:57 pm

Anyone got a complete guide for getting adfs to load directly. ive tried two different methods in this thread and just get a black screen :(

Trixster

Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:34 am

Ive gotta say I'm pretty impressed with uae4arm. No doubt many ppl have been much more adeventurous than me, but I think being able to run a p96 classic workbench setup on a 1.1ghz rpi2 is pretty cool, especially as it'll run both Doom and Quake (and demos like Startstruck) at pretty decent speeds. Very nice. I can't quite get AmiQuake2 to run at the moment, perhaps that's a stretch too far.

SysSpeed reports 81Mips and 7MFlops. Not bad compared to my 80mhz 060 A1200 which gives 105Mips and 42MFlops. Ok it's nowhere near the speeds you can get on a good WinUAE setup but that's no really the point. The RPi2 continues to impress.

Mikeboston

Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:32 pm

hello guys, we are doing a great job. I have a rpi2 and have installed the Chips package but Picasso96 does not work. I read in the entire thread and i think with a few fixses you can have good results but I have no programming esperience so I can't help you for it. Can you have a pre-compiled package with your changes? thanks and sorry for my bad english

pete81

Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:49 pm

Im also having problems activating p96. I've compiled it myself from the git and it built with no errors.
Under the RAM tab, I'm unable to change the Z3 fast or RTG sliders. They are both showing, but i am unable to move the slider at all. Chip, Slow and Fast all work fine tho....

TIA!

Trixster

Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:53 pm

Mikeboston wrote:hello guys, we are doing a great job. I have a rpi2 and have installed the Chips package but Picasso96 does not work. I read in the entire thread and i think with a few fixses you can have good results but I have no programming esperience so I can't help you for it. Can you have a pre-compiled package with your changes? thanks and sorry for my bad english
I'll upload a pre-compiled package tomorrow.

windale

Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:13 am

pete81 wrote:Im also having problems activating p96. I've compiled it myself from the git and it built with no errors.
Under the RAM tab, I'm unable to change the Z3 fast or RTG sliders. They are both showing, but i am unable to move the slider at all. Chip, Slow and Fast all work fine tho....

TIA!
You have to select a 68030 processor or higher before Z3 and RTG memory become accessible. Although I think a 68020 is supposed to be compatible with RTG, might be a bug in UAE4Arm.

TomBPand

Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:54 am

You need a 32-bit CPU. When you select 68020, you have to disable 24-bit CPU.

Trixster

Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:37 pm

Pre-complied rar of the latest version. No kickstarts or adf's included

https://www.dropbox.com/s/flv6q4gz61b2a ... m.rar?dl=0

Mikeboston

Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:19 am

Thank you very much. I'll try tonight! :)

Vanfanel

Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:52 am

TomBPand wrote:You need a 32-bit CPU. When you select 68020, you have to disable 24-bit CPU.
Are you TomB, the original author of Uae4ARM-JIT on the Pandora forums?

windale

Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:24 am

Are the Action Replay roms supposed to work on this ? I recently looked through the Github and there are several mentions of the Action Replay roms. In UAE4Arm there is an option for Extended ROM path which is useless (for CD32/CDTV which isn't available in UAE4Arm) but there is no Cartridge ROM path.

TomBPand

Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:32 pm

Vanfanel wrote:Are you TomB, the original author of Uae4ARM-JIT on the Pandora forums?
Yes.

TomBPand

Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:33 pm

windale wrote:In UAE4Arm there is an option for Extended ROM path which is useless
This was required for AROS.

Vanfanel

Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:52 pm

TomBPand wrote:
Vanfanel wrote:Are you TomB, the original author of Uae4ARM-JIT on the Pandora forums?
Yes.
I'd like to talk with you about how how the audio and video are synchronized.
You did some changes to the code so now the emulation syncs on audio, doesn't it?
In the recent versions, video has small hiccups in smooth scrolling scenes: see Lemmings tittle screen with the scrolling text. It used to be perfectly smooth until you did these changes.
This is what chips had to say about this:
Audio use semaphore and has to be well synchronized with core emulation. TomB change some timings in audio in latest version. I feel like it improve audio (i think emulation was faster than audio output), now audio is better but it look like core is faster than audio output so now in every few seconds it stall during one frame waiting for audio to finish...
Try to change the #if 1 to #if 0 in sound_sdl_new.cpp (line 117)
So, I *suppose* you're syncing on audio, and there are too many or too few frames per second to cope with that (even if the emulation *is* fullspeed in such a situation as Lemmings scrolling text screen).
The only way to improve this and get truly smooth video & audio would be to:
1) Sync on video as it was done before
2) Use an audio resampler, so we get the same ammount of audio samples per second from the emulation side that ALSA/SDL consumes.

TomBPand

Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:15 am

Vanfanel wrote: You did some changes to the code so now the emulation syncs on audio, doesn't it?
These changes came from newer versions of WinUAE. I don't have a Raspi, so I can only talk about the Pandora version. There we use vsync from fb-device when doing SDL_Flip(). It seems we are too late sometimes so the call to SDL_Flip() waits a complete frame before returning. I don't know why we are too late in some frames.
Another point is, that in every version of WinUAE betwenn 2.0 and 3.0, there are lot of changes in vsync-handling. It's hard to pick the best working version for uae4arm.
Vanfanel wrote: Audio use semaphore and has to be well synchronized with core emulation. TomB change some timings in audio in latest version. I feel like it improve audio (i think emulation was faster than audio output), now audio is better but it look like core is faster than audio output so now in every few seconds it stall during one frame waiting for audio to finish...
Try to change the #if 1 to #if 0 in sound_sdl_new.cpp (line 117)

So, I *suppose* you're syncing on audio, and there are too many or too few frames per second to cope with that (even if the emulation *is* fullspeed in such a situation as Lemmings scrolling text screen).
The only way to improve this and get truly smooth video & audio would be to:
1) Sync on video as it was done before
2) Use an audio resampler, so we get the same ammount of audio samples per second from the emulation side that ALSA/SDL consumes.
On Pandora, I don't use SDL for audio output. I notice a small slowdown of audio only in few situations (for example a small part of Love-Demo). The number of samples per frame are still ok in this situation (i checked this). I have no idea, why this happens. But this delay occured after switching from FAME/C to newcpu. Maybe the reason for this delay is the different interrupt handling between these two cores.

Haemogoblin

Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:35 pm

Hi guys

Just updated to the latest version of uae4arm, was hoping there had been some progress improving the control system, such as defining keys for the joystick etc, like you can in Win-uae. I hope this is a planned feature for uae4arm, as I know I'm not the only person who would like to play games via keyboard and not a joystick. Being as I'm using an amiga 600 keyboard, I need to define keys better suited to the Amiga keyboard.
Blackadder: Right Baldrick, let's try again, shall we? This is called adding. If I have two beans, and then I add two more, what do I have?
Baldrick: Some beans

Vanfanel

Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:09 pm

TomBPand wrote:[
On Pandora, I don't use SDL for audio output. I notice a small slowdown of audio only in few situations (for example a small part of Love-Demo). The number of samples per frame are still ok in this situation (i checked this). I have no idea, why this happens. But this delay occured after switching from FAME/C to newcpu. Maybe the reason for this delay is the different interrupt handling between these two cores.
So you can also see this is not really smooth as a real Amiga anymore, right?
Could you explain me how does the interrupt handling on the emulated machine relates to "external" emulation smoothness? Maybe you mean a different output frame rate is used now? (like, 50.xxx instead of 50.yyy before?)

TomBPand

Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:07 am

Vanfanel wrote: So you can also see this is not really smooth as a real Amiga anymore, right?
Could you explain me how does the interrupt handling on the emulated machine relates to "external" emulation smoothness? Maybe you mean a different output frame rate is used now? (like, 50.xxx instead of 50.yyy before?)
I can't compare with a real Amiga because I don't have one anymore. I can only compare the result with WinUAE (cycle exact emulation).
When interrupt handling changes, an opcode may be executed now before an interrupt which was executed after the interrupt before the changes (or the other way around).
There is also one thing missing in UAE4ARM: we do not support programmed framerates and timings from AGA chipset. I don't know how many games or demos using this option.

Vanfanel

Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:33 am

TomBPand wrote:
Vanfanel wrote: So you can also see this is not really smooth as a real Amiga anymore, right?
I can't compare with a real Amiga because I don't have one anymore. I can only compare the result with WinUAE (cycle exact emulation).
When interrupt handling changes, an opcode may be executed now before an interrupt which was executed after the interrupt before the changes (or the other way around).
There is also one thing missing in UAE4ARM: we do not support programmed framerates and timings from AGA chipset. I don't know how many games or demos using this option.
The issue I am referring to doesn't need a real AMIGA to compare.
Just load Lemmings 1, and watch the tittle screen with the scrolling text. That scrolling text used to be perfectly smooth in the first versions of UAE4ARM, and now it has "jumps".
On a real Amiga, it's perfectly smooth.

asapreta

Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:19 pm

Trixster wrote:Pre-complied rar of the latest version. No kickstarts or adf's included

Hi, thanks fot the compiled version, but is this for the RPi2, right?

Mikeboston

Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:35 am

Trixster wrote:Pre-complied rar of the latest version. No kickstarts or adf's included

Hi Trixster, I've changed the uae4arm package in "opt/retropie/emulators/" but it doesn't work.
I run the application but I visualize the emulationstation screen.

I tried both on retropie 3.3 and 3.5

Chirone72

Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:23 am

Hello,
I've some questions about UAE4ARM, we know that there are at least two versions respectively for Rpi1 and Rpi2 (with Neon Instructions), The version for RPi2 fully uses the quad core CPU ?
All cores works together ? (I've both Rpi1 and 2)

Using UAE4ARM on Rpi2 is definitively better than with Rpi1 (at "same" clock speed) ? Why ?
Someone has made some benchmarks (i.e. with SYSINFO) or other comparisons ? What are the results ?

Regarding the laggy mouse what is the state of the art ?
I've downloaded yesterday the latest version of Retropie 3.5 but there is always the laggy mouse defect, most likely it's the app inside the suite that it's not yet updated, so I'm thinking to do a clean install of Raspbian with the latest package of Uae4Arm (possibly with Amiga autostart using Chips instructions), because I've read in this forum that recently it was solved removing Lines 913 & 914 in pandora.cpp.

There is an updated guide to understand how to get and install (and easily upgrade to latest versions) only the latest package in Raspbian ?

I've seen that a precompiled package (0.4 6/2/2016) is available but I don't know if to copy it into sd is enough or if other operations are required.

In README.md file, inside uae4arm package, I've found these instructions but I suspect that some other few instructions could be necessary:
How to compile on Raspbian:
You need to install gcc-4.8 (or edit Makefile) and install some dev package.
In order to do this enter the following in command line:

sudo apt-get install g++-4.8
sudo apt-get install libsdl1.2-dev
sudo apt-get install libsdl-gfx1.2-dev
sudo apt-get install libsdl-ttf2.0-dev
sudo apt-get install libguichan-dev

Then for Raspberry Pi 2:
make CXX=g++-4.8
Or for Raspberry Pi 1:
make PLATFORM=rpi1 CXX=g++-4.8
Last edited by Chirone72 on Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Gaming”