JakeRetro

RetroPie NIGHTMARE! Please help.

Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:19 am

So I got a Rasberry Pi 2 Model B 1GB. It came with a microsd preloaded with noobs and rasbian, however, I bought a blank SD card and wrote the latest version of retropie to it . (2.6.0) in order to keep my OS's seperate.
Well I followed the instructions here http://www.adamdsigel.com/2015/01/27/my ... pberry-pi/ and here to get my wifi set up. This is where I ran into a problem. When I get to Nano screen, everything is blank. It says to edit the text but theres no text for me to edit
same with sudo nano /opt/ configs/retroarch.cfg. Anything involving the nano editor is blank. I'm lost here.

KitchUK

Re: RetroPie NIGHTMARE! Please help.

Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:45 am

It normally does this if the directory you have input is incorrect. I'd double check the location of the file you are wanting to edit and make sure it is exact.

Alternatively, I would strongly recommend using WinSCP. With this program you can edit/organise file on the Pi via a link with your PC. This make editing files a lot easier in my opinion. All you have to do is download WinSCP to your PC then log into the Pi with it IP address then you can find the specific file you want and edit with a text program (I also recommend Notepad++).

Hope this helps!

Emexrulsier

Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:47 am

Not too be pedantic KitchUK, but how is he going to use winscp with no network ...

Anyways JakeRetro, normally when you try and edit a file in nano that doesn't exist you will just get a blank editor. Below is a fairly simple solution that will have you online in no time?

First run

Code: Select all

sudo nano /etc/network/interface
Then simply make your file read as below and this will give you access to the your wlan and fixed lan if required both using dhcp. Just fill in your ssid (wireless network name) and password and reboot the pi and it should (will) connect :D/

Code: Select all

auto lo

iface lo inet loopback
iface eth0 inet dhcp

allow-hotplug wlan0
auto wlan0

iface wlan0 inet dhcp

wpa-ssid "Wireless network name"
wpa-psk "Wireless network password"

Emexrulsier

Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:21 pm

p.s to check your IP once rebooted you have a few options. The easiest is to just press CTRL+F4 to quit EmulationStation and the prompt has been configured to show you IP then you can simply type exit to return back to ES.

The next option is to bring up a prompt or tty and type ifconfig and look for your interface.

Another option would be to look on your router at connected devices.

If either option shows no ip, check your interfaces file making sure there are no typos

strawberrytau

Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:07 pm

Wifi setup is much easier in Raspian using the graphical interface. Have you tried booting Raspian on a different SD Card, setting up the wifi and then copying the wifi configuration across?

JakeRetro

Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:31 pm

That might be easier, how do I copy the configuration?

kusti8

Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:30 pm

JakeRetro wrote:That might be easier, how do I copy the configuration?
You would copy, providing you have wpa-supplicant and the drivers installed if they aren't all ready, by copying /etc/network/interfaces and /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf to their respective places on the retro pie.
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.

Emexrulsier

Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:31 pm

Jake trust me what I have posted is very easy, don't go messing with another OS and extracting config files to then import into a new one.

Return to “Gaming”