What emulator(-setup) you prefer or use?

Retropie
48%
Recalbox
36%
Standalone emulators
12%
Piplay
No votes
Ultraslim
No votes
Other;
4%

Total votes: 25
RichardPi

Which emulator setup you use/prefer?

Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:56 pm

Curious, and in need of advice...
What emulator or emulation front-end / image do you use, or prefer? Made a little poll for this also. If that isn't appreciated, feel free to remove moderators.

I began with standalone emulators, had retropie from v.2.3 until 2.6 now, and still happy with it. A while ago I put (with help from members of this forum) the recalbox emulationstation front end on top of that. And, finally I installed a clean recalbox also on one of my sd's.

Now, I kind of getting lost. I do like retropie as well as recalbox. I'm here again for some advice. What do you personally think is the 'best' for you, and why is this...?

At the end stability and speed are most important for emulation imho, but since both do well, but are built very different (and that's where my knowledge isn't enough about), so I'm curious, what you guys think!

Hope to get some opinions, besides 'it's personal's or 'figure out what you think yourself', 'coz I already did...kind of. But ended with, uhh, 'not really sure'.
If possible opinions with a little 'because.....' . Maybe the developers that also are here at RPi forum can tell what's the great benefit of their system compared to another?

Thanks for your submissions. It's truly appreciated!
...never too old to to learn!

AmigaGamer

Re: Which emulator setup you use/prefer?

Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:42 pm

Ive tried most of the emulation setups youve listed and theres positives to all of them. Theres always something i want to do a little bit different though.

So for me my favourite emulation setup is a raspbian base, a lot of github clones and way too many hours on this forum!

Ive built emulationstation as a frontend, retroarch and scumm from vanfanels guides, fuseZX from an unstable SDL2 branch, uae4all from multiple sources and suffered a million headaches as a result!
Even got my favourite ultima games running on exult/xu4 (with my poorly written guides buried on this forum somewhere)

for me the fun of the pi remains about making it do what i want, the way I want. Ive also learned a ton of stuff building and editing source.. making a tiny change or improvement,however insignificant that works for you can be 10x more satisfying then the emulation itself.

If i was going to recommend an "out of the box emulation platform" at the moment , RetroPie wins in my book. Significant work has gone into it just over the last few weeks with the RPI2 support and its becoming a very polished product.

In the absense of a DIY button im pressing Other!

expandables

Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:06 am

I have Raspbian and emulationstation installed and i compile emulators and setup the system how i like it to be.
:mrgreen:
By thinking like an engineer you can create a raspberry pi.
Michael Jackson enthusiast.
I got the PI model B, B+ and PI 2 model B.
When will I get the A? I don't know.

RichardPi

Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:47 pm

Thanks guys for voting@ the poll, and especially the replies on top of that! Very glad people on this forum respond so quick and friendly also to this kind of 'open questions'!

I also found out that from the moment of taking a RPi for your project, you want to make things always a bit different from standard at least, and from that point you start asking things (here!) and kind of automatically start to figure out how things work and how to modify them.

Interesting that despite there are indeed couple of stable "out of the box" solutions, a diy version seems to be preferred.

For myself I started with retropie, and start editing and changing stuff to my needs.

Rises a question because of the 2nd reaction, for stand alone games, something like raspbian for example is needed I guess? Coz besides many good retrogames, Linux has lots of nice stand alone games. Didn't think about that, because I tried those in retropie 2.3, which comes with raspbian!

KitchUK

Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:46 pm

I prefer RetroPie. It's been going for a long time and there are many RetroPie users which means there is always help on the official RetroPie forums. It continually gets updates and is optimised for performance. It's easy to install and easy to use and uses the excellent front end Emulation Station by Aloshi. That's my opinion. :D

cacophony555

Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:30 pm

When I first set up a pi or retro gaming about two years ago I started with RetroPie. I liked it but it felt somewhat suboptimal because it came with so much installed that I didn't want. I also wanted to ensure that everything was built/launched in the most optimized and performant way possible. So I ended up starting with a fresh raspbian and rolling my own setup. I've been very happy with it.

With the introduction of the Rpi 2 I decided to try RetroPie again, and I'm so impressed with how far it has come that I've decided to stick with it this time. So my vote goes for RetroPie!

RichardPi

Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:16 pm

Interesting,and I sort of share that opinion :mrgreen: .
Although I suddenly haven't figured out what my personal final verdict will be, is this what I mostly use atm also.

But I still switch between a couple of micro sd's sometimes. In the end I must say I'm glad opening this topic, and like to read all your replies. Some things you guys mention weren't even things I thought about, for instance the stand alone game part, so I think it's some kind of eye opener aswell.

PuppetHoundZ

Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:55 pm

1st choice: Recalbox is a first choice for those who want easy setup with plug and play.

2nd choice: RetroPie for those who want individual emulators and a more hands on approach.

But in all honesty I'm all for getting Raspbian repository open source games more so as of late.

Return to “Gaming”