avinashlego

Re: Dreamcast Emulation on the Pi2? Yes, Really!

Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:53 pm

Hey guys,

Cool work! It looks like the Raspberry Pi will be getting its first 5th gen emulator :-)

Just wanted to know, any updates as of late July as to how Dreamcast emulation is going on the Pi 2?(Not trying to be pushy or rush you guys, just really interested in the project :D)
I like lego. End of story.

Djinny

Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:58 am

Actually some games are playable. Shenmue runs pretty good.. Due to the nature of the controls of the emulator and the controls of my gameboy, i have a few issues, but for the most part, the game is playable. Not sure how the quick time events will turn out though. It runs better than some n64 games. O_O

I actually have a video of the gameplay, but i'm not satisfied with the audio, which is why i haven't made it public, and i just haven't had the time to make a new one.
http://blog.petrockblock.com/forums/top ... n-reicast/

Edit:
Alright, decided to make a new one. I really hate my camera, it makes me sound so weird. Either way, here you go. *Be Gentle*
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulJyfPIwl0E
My RPi needs a fan, heat will leech into the battery, so people saying I don't need a fan, don't understand how Li-Po batteries are affected by high temps. Cool pi = cool battery.
I would very much so like to see a Pi2/Pi3 Zero, power and size.

avinashlego

Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:07 am

Cool vid! I read a lot of free5tyle's posts on petrockblog, and I want to know: Is Reicast integrated into retropie or do you still need to install it on raspbian?

Jako

Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:32 am

Is integrated but very experimental, no sound, slow speed, missing some buttons... i tried that ago a month. Is there any new version?
I saw thar with some changes that the sound can be enabled, and near full speed, but i think is not a official source of reicast. Not via retropie.
Sorry, my english is awful, like me. XD

avinashlego

Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:49 pm

A user on petrockblog named free5tyle apparently improved the Dreamcast emulator A LOT. Here, just look at his posts :http://blog.petrockblock.com/community/ ... s/replies/

Curious, does retropie come preinstalled with reicast? If not, how do you get it installed?

Djinny

Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:27 pm

Jako wrote:Is integrated but very experimental, no sound, slow speed, missing some buttons... i tried that ago a month. Is there any new version?
I saw thar with some changes that the sound can be enabled, and near full speed, but i think is not a official source of reicast. Not via retropie.
Yup free5tyle fixed a lot of those. Watch my video, a couple posts up. Sound works, obviously since you can hear it. speed is reasonable, it does get slowdowns, but that's the nature of emulation.
Controls work, buttons are there.. I need some tweaks to the controls personally, a dead zone, a way to flip the X/Y, and a max sensitivity since the max my joystick does, is still lower than what would be considered full, so it gets about 14k out of the normal 32k (think mupen64 config)
My RPi needs a fan, heat will leech into the battery, so people saying I don't need a fan, don't understand how Li-Po batteries are affected by high temps. Cool pi = cool battery.

avinashlego

Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:07 am

How do you install it into retropie?

Jako

Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:15 pm

Wow! Thanks for the link, that updates works very fine, nice sound and with a bit more of performance the emu will be playable with many more games.
To integrate reicast in retropie go to the experimental instalation on retropie_setup.sh and the folow the scripts from
http://blog.petrockblock.com/community/ ... s/replies/

Amazing for a RPI2, my only problem is the ps3 wireless config. Dont work anything, only keyboard. The entry on emu.cfg puts the mac what sixpair says when I pair a sixaxis pad. How to know the real mac of each pad? (Maybe off-topic) sorry.
Sorry, my english is awful, like me. XD

Djinny

Sun Aug 16, 2015 1:31 am

you'll have to check the retropie forums for the reicast controls thread, not 100% sure how someone did the ps3 wireless controller.

avinashlego

Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:36 pm

Update: Dreamcast emulation is working beautifully on the new Raspberry Pi 3! Just a few audio glitches here and there, gameplay is flawless! As of retropie 3.3 they seem to have PSP working really well too. Nice job coders!

Return to “Gaming”