simplesi

Re: Alpha testers needed for Scratch-GPIO control

Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:04 pm

@sdmeijer
Ben ( @croston ) writes the GPIO python library I use so I'm reliant on him for an easy fix so that you can use Pin numbers transparently :)

The main problem is going to be for people who want to use GPIO numbering in their Scratch (or any other language for that matter) programs - they are going to have to detect what Pin 13 is actually connected to.

I'll have to get a Rev 2 board (or play with one at a RaspberryJam event) and see what ifs and elses are going to be needed :(

Simon
Seeking help with Scratch and I/O stuff for Primary age children
http://cymplecy.wordpress.com/ @cymplecy on twitter

Anthony Jackson

Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:47 pm

Hi, I would be interested. I am developing an accessory board for Pi that runs from GPIO to provide PLC type I/O in banks of 8 in/8out with 1/2 amp 24vdc output drivers. I need to control GPIO to test it. The board will also include a built in 5vdc power supply for the Pi to operate from any 8-24 vdc/vac source. My prototype is using a power supply from a long dead laptop.

simplesi

Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:40 pm

GPIO to provide PLC type I/O in banks of 8 in/8out with 1/2 amp 24vdc output drivers. I need to control GPIO to test it.
Unless intending it to be used by beginners - do you control tests directly from Python - that way You've got access to all the available GPIO pins and not just the 8 I expose to Scratch :)

regards

Simon
Seeking help with Scratch and I/O stuff for Primary age children
http://cymplecy.wordpress.com/ @cymplecy on twitter

davidmam

Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:03 pm

The GPIO interaction is what for me makes the Pi come alive and do what you can't do on a normal desktop computer. My son (10) has just finished making a reaction tester game (something I had done on an Arduino before) and programming it in Scratch. Now he is writing the script for the video. Two buttons, three LEDs, 5 330ohm resistors and some jumper leads, and one very happy young lad.

\He does complain occasionally about Scratch being a bit 'laggy' but if the student is competent to do anything remotely complex in Scratch they should be starting to look at Python or similar instead.

Return to “Scratch”