bigbadadam14

Re: How possible is it to port over android 4.4 kik-kat?

Sun Jun 22, 2014 2:58 am

Ok I know a lot of people ask why Android? Personally, here's why for me.

There are people out there like my grandmother who loves the concept of the Pi, but doesn't know much about linux. If I could get my hands on Android, I could run an app like Onlive Desktop that emulates Windows 7. Imagine, a $35 Windows PC.

Go ahead, boo hiss and troll. But I'm gonna keep dreaming that one day that app will be usable on the Pi.

fruitoftheloom

Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:54 am

bigbadadam14 wrote:Ok I know a lot of people ask why Android? Personally, here's why for me.

There are people out there like my grandmother who loves the concept of the Pi, but doesn't know much about linux. If I could get my hands on Android, I could run an app like Onlive Desktop that emulates Windows 7. Imagine, a $35 Windows PC.

Go ahead, boo hiss and troll. But I'm gonna keep dreaming that one day that app will be usable on the Pi.
As stated many times, on eBay one can buy a "TV Stick" which runs Android for aroind £35.00, so what will a RPi with Android offer extra ?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 1399137846

Bear in mind that uncertified devices will not be able to access Google Play Store, so your scenario is somewhat in cloud cuckoo land :roll:
Retired disgracefully.....

Cancelor

Sun Jun 22, 2014 6:44 am

bigbadadam14 wrote:Ok I know a lot of people ask why Android? Personally, here's why for me.

Sounds absolutely awful! troll troll troll ;)

Think about what you want to do without fixating on one of many ways to do it. e.g. If you want to edit text then windoze notepad is not your only option.
Can't find the thread you want? Try googling : YourSearchHere site:raspberrypi.org

Cancelor

Sun Jun 22, 2014 6:48 am

fruitoftheloom wrote:

As stated many times, on eBay one can buy a "TV Stick" which runs Android for aroind £35.00, so what will a RPi with Android offer extra ?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 1399137846

Bear in mind that uncertified devices will not be able to access Google Play Store, so your scenario is somewhat in cloud cuckoo land :roll:
Can raspbian be ported to this device? :twisted: :twisted:
Can't find the thread you want? Try googling : YourSearchHere site:raspberrypi.org

fruitoftheloom

Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:04 am

Can raspbian be ported to this device? :twisted: :twisted:
There is a version of Ubuntu called PiCuntu which has been successfully ported to to be "usable" on some Android Devices,
just need to insure you buy a stick with the correct RK3066 chipset, OK it is not Raspbian but it is Debian based... :lol: :lol:

http://home.g8.net/index.php/picuntu-features

http://liliputing.com/2013/05/picuntu-h ... syish.html

http://www.slatedroid.com/topic/77977-u ... much-more/

So as it is easier to use Linux on a TV Stick then getting Android on the Pi, I rest my case, forget Android on the Pi

riklaunim

Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:34 am

Picuntu supports also quad core RK3188 devices for which also linuxium bootloader have been created to allow booting Android from NAND and Linux from SD cards.

ame

Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:59 am

That's just dumb. You'll still need a keyboard and a screen, so why not get an Android tablet and a bluetooth keyboard? You could do it today instead of giving granny that lame excuse "oh, sorry, I can't build you a PC for $35 because Android hasn't been ported yet."

<Mod edit>
Last edited by ShiftPlusOne on Sun Jun 22, 2014 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Who says that!?

Joe Schmoe

Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:28 pm

Your grandmother will probably be dead before Android is available.
Apparently, we all will be.
And some folks need to stop being fanboys and see the forest behind the trees.

(One of the best lines I've seen on this board lately)

riklaunim

Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:31 pm

I also wonder how many apps would run on ARMv6 Raspberry Pi. Some apps use specific ARMv7 instructions and Intel x86 chips have translators for them so those apps actually work (although performance isn't optimal then).

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Sun Jun 22, 2014 2:48 pm

Joe Schmoe wrote:
Cancelor wrote:I feel compelled to ask ....... WHY? (port android)
That's the question I keep asking. Both publicly and privately.

The only answer anyone has been able to come up with is (basically the computer equivalent of) "Because it's there". (As in "Why does a man climb a mountain?")

Because more OSes is considered an unqualified good.

So, why not z/OS?
Netflix.

However, without DRM that won't work, so even if Android is ported, you won't get netflix.

AngryBirds?

That might work!
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

Joe Schmoe

Sun Jun 22, 2014 3:24 pm

Yaknow…

I think that ("Netflix") was the answer the last time I asked this question ("Why Android?"), and it (the "Netflix" answer) was quickly followed up with a "But it wouldn't work anyway" postscript.

So, it'd be like someone asking "Why should I buy a Yugo?" and someone else answering "To haul cement" and then adding "but it won't work" but "You should buy the Yugo anyway".
And some folks need to stop being fanboys and see the forest behind the trees.

(One of the best lines I've seen on this board lately)

jamesh

Sun Jun 22, 2014 6:49 pm

Joe Schmoe wrote:Yaknow…

I think that ("Netflix") was the answer the last time I asked this question ("Why Android?"), and it (the "Netflix" answer) was quickly followed up with a "But it wouldn't work anyway" postscript.

So, it'd be like someone asking "Why should I buy a Yugo?" and someone else answering "To haul cement" and then adding "but it won't work" but "You should buy the Yugo anyway".
Yup.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

Douglas6

Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:54 pm

It seems to me the spectrum goes pretty much like this

Code: Select all

Consumer                                                         Maker
<-------------------------------------------------------------------->
      Android                                             Raspberry Pi    
So yeah, the interest in bringing the two together baffles me as well.

fruitoftheloom

Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:57 pm

Deceased Ass Flagellation

Douglas6

Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:12 pm

So, what are you trying to say? :)

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:16 pm

So, what are you trying to say? :)
flogging a dead horse!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flogging_a_dead_horse

yes I'm aware thats a serious answer to a non serious question, a big no no in Transactional analysis. :roll:
stops the conversation dead (as intended).

trevd1234

Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:02 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:
[Mod edit: I've had to delete the content of this post as its rather too aggressive for my liking, however, the points made are valid, just put too harshly. If the poster would like to try again he is more than welcome - just keep the insults out. I'm adding a personal though in my own message below]

Thanks
trevd xx :)

jamesh

Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:20 pm

Android is certainly possible on the Raspi - it just needs a lot of work that the Foundation is not willing to put in, as Android does not have any benefit to the educational side (ie money is better spent elsewhere). However, if people are willing to try and port it they are very much welcome to try, and I wish them good luck. It should be fairly acceptable speed wise if you manage to leverage the GPU OK.

But as stated elsewhere, things that need DRM are unlikely to work, so if that is a reason you are waiting for Android you may be disappointed. But there are plenty of other reasons why you might want Android - lots of apps for example (which can be sideloaded rather than replying on the PlayStore). Those reasons just don't coincide with the Foundations aims.

fruitoftheloom

Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:58 pm

jamesh wrote:Android is certainly possible on the Raspi - it just needs a lot of work that the Foundation is not willing to put in, as Android does not have any benefit to the educational side (ie money is better spent elsewhere). However, if people are willing to try and port it they are very much welcome to try, and I wish them good luck. It should be fairly acceptable speed wise if you manage to leverage the GPU OK.

But as stated elsewhere, things that need DRM are unlikely to work, so if that is a reason you are waiting for Android you may be disappointed. But there are plenty of other reasons why you might want Android - lots of apps for example (which can be sideloaded rather than replying on the PlayStore). Those reasons just don't coincide with the Foundations aims.
Yes quite agree the Play Store is not required, but if Android is offered, users will be disappointed being offered open source equivelents of Apps,.

So yes I concur the Android is certainly feasible, never said is was not (as is Slackware, BSD etal), but for learners and newbies it has little merit IMO....

passed away Zebra being whipped

jamesh

Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:36 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:
jamesh wrote:Android is certainly possible on the Raspi - it just needs a lot of work that the Foundation is not willing to put in, as Android does not have any benefit to the educational side (ie money is better spent elsewhere). However, if people are willing to try and port it they are very much welcome to try, and I wish them good luck. It should be fairly acceptable speed wise if you manage to leverage the GPU OK.

Yes quite agree the Play Store is not required, but if Android is offered, users will be disappointed being offered open source equivelents of Apps,.

So yes I concur the Android is certainly feasible, never said is was not (as is Slackware, BSD etal), but for learners and newbies it has little merit IMO....

passed away Zebra being whipped
Point about the Play store is that you can sideload stuff originally from the Playstore, so you would have access to Playstore apps. AIUI.

tigger2014

Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:41 pm

You could actually sideload the PlayStore, so your point is invalid.

fruitoftheloom

Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:00 pm

Point about the Play store is that you can sideload stuff originally from the Playstore, so you would have access to Playstore apps. AIUI.

http://blog.malwarebytes.org/mobile-2/2 ... erous-game

http://androidcowboy.com/2013/11/how-to ... d-emulator

trevd1234

Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:12 pm

That's nice ... ( hopefully this one will be acceptable )

To paraphrase my previous. The Android EcoSystem is not only Google. Many devices both certified and uncertified access the Google Play Store and A full suite of Google Services ( including Play) are a available to download from reputable 3rd parties given a cursory google search should an end user want to take advantage of them.
jamesh wrote:Android is certainly possible on the Raspi - it just needs a lot of work that the Foundation is not willing to put in, as Android does not have any benefit to the educational side (ie money is better spent elsewhere).
I totally agree and I fully support the foundations line on this. The last thing the world needs is more Java Developers with a specialization on Android App Development. :) There are Educational Benefits in Android, however I feel they reside in Actual operating system development rather than anywhere else. Google have dramatically lowered the barrier to entry on this front. They practically made compiling your own OS ( for supported devices ) as easy as typing make.

I suspect this decision by the foundation was arrived at after the ( infamous ) Android 4.0.4 is coming official blog post and as I read elsewhere this effort was very much a personal thing by a single broadcom engineer who is now incognito, Perhaps that post was a mistake and hindsight is wonderful thing eh?

Personally I wouldn't have started my work If I didn't think it was possible or more correctly if I didn't think I was capable of doing it with the resources currently available as I neither expect or want anything from foundation at this point. I would've like it if the Foundations Android forums was less of a den of negativity and ignorance but it's the internet so meh! Plus it's no help when folks show up to a building site without bringing shovels.

Anyway for anyone who cares here's the current state of Android kitkat on the PI
http://pastebin.com/TsQgVixk

As you can see we've initialized the OpenGLES subsystem using the gralloc HAL and bascially the HWComposer isn't getting passed the correct address for the EGLDisplay ATM but is just a case of debugging to find out why. The repeating lines after that is the Bootanimation rendering routines running so I have a feeling this is pretty close ( could be wrong tho )

If anyone should actually fancy a crack with the code then the details are in my previous post ( no not that one, the one before it :) )

and like I said to Give up without trying is, well just giving up and that's a poor attitude to have wrt technology ( IMHO )

[Edit : After thought ] @Jamesh Maybe the foundation could have made available details of their decision which possibly would have encouraged some less able/confident folks to get start ... As you don't arrive at a "too much work" decision without researching the matter first.

Thanks
trevd xx :)

joan

Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:29 pm

When do you expect Android to be usable on the Pi?

Return to “Android”