Eskimon

Re: Android On RasPi

Mon May 14, 2012 2:50 pm

Hello everyone.

Just for the information, I'm running a fork of CM7 (GingerDx, Android 2.3.7) on an XPeria X8 from Sony Ericsson. Run ok, not perfect and some lags sometimes but I can use it in everyday life... For information, specs are 128 MB RAM and 600 MHz proc' (and a "not so bad" gpu) :D

fodi

Mon May 14, 2012 5:43 pm

teh_orph wrote: That's ICS directly on top of the Linux kernel in qemu. No extra stuff.
In Feb I spent about 3 weeks merging the last-used Android Linux kernel with the then-current rpi patches and brought it up in qemu with the same sort of resources. I then got bored of waiting for my kit and haven't bothered pick it up since! ICS should run fine on a rpi, IMO.
My primary reason for being lazy is that ICS with a mouse/keyb is not a good fit.
don't you wanna release your work? if i understand correctly, you have a sorta working raspi ics port :P

benzeman

Mon May 14, 2012 6:47 pm

I've got a working Pi, and 6 SD cards for ROM testing arriving tomorrow (hopefully), and a Raspberry Pi meet (London Raspberry Pi faces) to go to - release now!

sakisa

Tue May 15, 2012 6:28 pm

the raspi has a 700mhz cpu and 256mb or ram (shared with gpu)
the huawei ascend has a 528mhz cpu no gpu and 256mb of ram
the ascend has android 2.3.3 official and there are videos of it running android 4.0 theoreticly its possible but we'd definently need a dev team i develope for some android devices (htc thunderbolt and Barnes and Nobel nook color) i can help port but problem is I dont have any pi (corny joke)

[Mod edit: I recognise why you chose to highlight this entire post red, but please don't do it again. Posting entirely in red is similar to posting all caps, and is generally considered rude. I've changed it back to default. Thanks :-)]

artesea

Tue May 15, 2012 7:55 pm

sakisa wrote:the raspi has a 700mhz cpu and 256mb or ram (shared with gpu)
the huawei ascend has a 528mhz cpu no gpu and 256mb of ram
the ascend has android 2.3.3 official and there are videos of it running android 4.0 theoreticly its possible but we'd definently need a dev team i develope for some android devices (htc thunderbolt and Barnes and Nobel nook color) i can help port but problem is I dont have any pi (corny joke)]
which ascend are you looking at? the lowest model G300 comes with 1ghz processor and 512mb of ram
http://www.huaweidevice.com/worldwide/p ... 3745&tab=0

Eskimon

Tue May 15, 2012 10:08 pm

I'm guessing he speaks about this one -> http://www.phonearena.com/phones/Huawei-Ascend_id4964 (which is default android 2.1)

GhostSonic

Thu May 17, 2012 9:45 am

RaspiDeveloper wrote:You want Android,

I got Android.

I found out that I can simply port 2.2 (Froyo) onto the RasPi! I have the files etc.. As soon as I get it onto my Raspberry Pi, I will show you screenshots and I will give you a tutorial on how to do it.
I wonder what ever happened to this guy.

benzeman

Thu May 17, 2012 8:23 pm

I think he found it's harder than he thought...

EricMiddleton

Sat May 19, 2012 8:44 pm

In case anybody is still skeptical of running android on this device, I have a watch (motoactv) that has a 600mhz TI-OMAP processor with only 256mb ram. It runs Android 2.3.4 with all kinds of apps, perfectly smooth. Based on the experience, I can't imagine why somebody can't get a version going smoothly, given enough time.

winky1404

Tue May 22, 2012 9:53 am

GhostSonic wrote:

I got Android.

I found out that I can simply port 2.2 (Froyo) onto the RasPi! I have the files etc.. As soon as I get it onto my Raspberry Pi, I will show you screenshots and I will give you a tutorial on how to do it.
I wonder what ever happened to this guy.
I wonder too, he can maybe get a link on that files ..

kd5hsl

Thu May 31, 2012 5:41 pm

My OG Droid was a 550mhz CPU with 256mb RAM and it was my daily-drive through 2.3.4 running CM7.

Granted, I was overclocked to 1ghz, but the RAM seems to be the limiting factor more than clock speed.

There are/were builds of ICS for it, but I upgraded to a GNex to get my Ice Cream fix.

While Debian (or other flavors of *nix) are probably a better fit than Android, it'd still be fun to try.
--Nathan

fodi

Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:30 am

I got Android.
teh_orph wrote:
abishur wrote:So has anyone actually done this or is this more of a "the theory is sound" situation?
ICS runs fine in qemu with < 256 MB of RAM. I've done that myself! Around the 128 MB mark it starts to croak.
guys did you manage by any chance to go on with these works?

nfsp g35

Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:00 am

Looks like somebody on XDA is starting work on a port. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthr ... ?t=1667072

Also, I don't see any reason it couldn't handle GB, I'm running CM7 on a tablet with 256Mb RAM, and it runs smoother than the stock Froyo.

eLJay

Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:03 pm

With Android the memory is both physical memory and storage and that split can be changed. The Raspberry Pi boots from the SD Card and surely it uses that as it's OS storage, so if you can split off it's physical memory and it's storage in the same way Android does but onto two separate physical devices of memory and SD storage then I don't see there being a major problem with the limit of the memory size on the Raspberry Pi.

aaa801

Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:25 am

I can confirm that memory is of no issue on the rpi as stated above
on the official specs the required memory is ram + OS space
Since we have practically unlimited OS space we don't really have a issue

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:14 am

aaa801 wrote:I can confirm that memory is of no issue on the rpi as stated above
Apart from speed accessing OS memory (in effect using flash as a swap buffer?), so once you get to a point where you run out of RAM things will slow down.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

aaa801

Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:42 pm

jamesh wrote:
aaa801 wrote:I can confirm that memory is of no issue on the rpi as stated above
Apart from speed accessing OS memory (in effect using flash as a swap buffer?), so once you get to a point where you run out of RAM things will slow down.
Very unlikely to happen tho

Ive never needed a swap while running android 4.0 on my 256mb nand phone

Might be a issue with youtube apps etc
wonder if broadcom managed to tie in the hardware decoder with their build yet

hojnikb

Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:34 pm

any info on the progress ?
is there a github or something to check ?
+°´°+,¸¸,+°´°~ Everyone should have a taste of UK Raspberry Pie =D ~°´°+,¸¸,+°´°+
Rasberry Pi, SoC @ 1225Mhz :o, 256MB Ram @ 550Mhz, 16GB SD-Card, Raspbian

jamesh

Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:41 am

aaa801 wrote:
jamesh wrote:
Very unlikely to happen tho

Ive never needed a swap while running android 4.0 on my 256mb nand phone

Might be a issue with youtube apps etc
wonder if broadcom managed to tie in the hardware decoder with their build yet
You ain't trying very hard if everything you do stays in 256MB !

Yes, the Broadcom Android does everything - encode, decode, 3D, 2D, SurfaceFlinger acceleration, camera etc. Whether it works on the Raspi yet, I don't know - there is no reason why not. Apart from finding the time to get it working.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

hadji

Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:59 pm

jamesh wrote: You ain't trying very hard if everything you do stays in 256MB !

Yes, the Broadcom Android does everything - encode, decode, 3D, 2D, SurfaceFlinger acceleration, camera etc. Whether it works on the Raspi yet, I don't know - there is no reason why not. Apart from finding the time to get it working.
Would it be possible to have an image please? (if and when possible)
Or even better could we compile our own kernel?

aaa801

Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:21 am

hadji wrote:
jamesh wrote: You ain't trying very hard if everything you do stays in 256MB !

Would it be possible to have an image please? (if and when possible)
Or even better could we compile our own kernel?
Our images are avilable on razdroid.net
Please be aware that these are non accelerated builds

CoolApps

Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:09 pm

My LG GT540 is running Android 4.1 (CM10 AOKP) with 156 MB of RAM, 600 MHz CPU using Armv6.
It does lag a little but it is different on a tablet UI since it has more rendering to do in a display with more components.
Android, web, linux, windows and scripting developer
Download Page: caftp.3owl.com

pavand

Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:44 am

Hi ,
I am trying to boot android OS (2.3) on raspberry pi but I am getting some commands on the screen and finally end with rainbow color screen . I changed the config text file in android os but I am getting same thing . can you send any links for android os or config text file in android os based on that I will change the modes and groups in hdmi .

Regards
pavan

pavand

Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:28 am

Hi ,

I am trying to port android OS but I have only ginger bread image (2.3)file only . Can any post the links of any other image files for raspberry pi because I want to run one android app in Rpi board.

Regards
pavan

pavand

Mon Dec 23, 2013 6:36 am

Hi ,

Any one post the links of android OS ( fro yo , gingerbread) for raspberry pi because I want to boot that os image file into raspberry pi board.

Return to “Android”