jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: Android On RasPi

Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:07 am

All the known Android stuff is pretty ,much unusable due to low speed (none of the builds are HW accelerated). It's not a Foundation supported OS.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

pavand

Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:34 am

Hi ,

Android os(2.3) is working in raspberry pi board and is clearly given in youtube . If you have any images about android os for raspberry pi just post here . Because I want to run android app in that board.

jamesh

Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:53 am

There's no doubt it can run, but it just runs very badly/slowly.

I don't know who has the builds. Google may help.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

pavand

Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:04 am

Hi ,

Can any one post the links for android os images( froyo , gingerbread) for raspberry pi

redhawk

Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:59 am

pavand

Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:04 am

Only ginger bread image is there , but it is not booting in raspberry pi .

Any froyo image file for raspberry pi .

redhawk

Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:26 am

Android on Pi is a work in process but without device drivers from Broadcom or any help from them the project is good as dead.
Even if Android was running on the Pi it has nothing special to offer no more than what already exists with Raspbian or XBMC.
If you really want to play around with Android but don't own a tablet or phone then try the Android emulator as part of the Android SDK or run VirtualBox with Android-x86.

Richard S.

pavand

Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:14 pm

I downloaded the gingerbread image in the link you posted but I am getting some text on the screen end with rainbow color screen . But I saw many reviews it is booted clearly . I change the modes and groups in config text but the result is same .

DougieLawson

Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:29 pm

This bears all of the characteristics of deceased equine flagellation.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

pavand

Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:45 am

Hi ,

If you have any Donut or Eclair or fro yo images file links for raspberry pi .

Regards
pavan

pavand

Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:29 am

Hi ,
Android OS is installing in Rpi model A or model B board ?

Pavan

jamesh

Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:55 am

It will probably install on both, but be unusable on both, but even more unusable on the A due to the lower memory.

pavand

Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:14 am

Hi ,

Raspberry pi support .flv format or not ?

Which formats are supported in raspberry pi .

Pavan

redhawk

Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:37 am

If this question is related to Android then you're wasting your time with video playback there is no proper driver support not even audio.
For video playback it is recommended to use omxplayer already pre-installed with Raspbian or any XBMC distro.
As for flv this is just a container file like avi or mp4 they are handled by the above mentioned programs providing the video codec is supported by the Pi's hardware decoder.
The Pi out of the box supports h.264/avc and with paid licenses you can also play vc-1 and mpeg-2/1 video files, however non-supported codecs will not work and render as audio only playback.

Richard S.

pavand

Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:56 am

Can any one send the links for video/audio driver source code for android OS in Raspberry pi . I am getting black screen after I installed Media play back application in android OS .

Pavan

jamesh

Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:32 am

You are very persistent.

Although Android will run, its going to be very very slow.

The source code for Android is available from Google.

DougieLawson

Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:11 pm

pavand wrote:Can any one send the links for video/audio driver source code for android OS in Raspberry pi . I am getting black screen after I installed Media play back application in android OS .
Why do you keep flogging this dead horse? What does Android have that can't be done with one of the stock Linux distros that are known to work and are well used on the Raspberry Pi?
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

jamesh

Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:22 pm

DougieLawson wrote:
pavand wrote:Can any one send the links for video/audio driver source code for android OS in Raspberry pi . I am getting black screen after I installed Media play back application in android OS .
Why do you keep flogging this dead horse? What does Android have that can't be done with one of the stock Linux distros that are known to work and are well used on the Raspberry Pi?
Angry Birds, or in the Raspi case, slightly miffed and more slowly moving birds.

DougieLawson

Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:43 am

Perhaps the Raspberry Pi Foundation should talk to Rovio about a RPi version of Angry Birds and Bad Piggies. In much the same way that you got that ancient version of Pocket Minecraft.

redhawk

Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:52 am

Rovio don't make Linux builds of Angry Birds so I very much doubt they would bothered to write one for the Pi.
Some Linux x86 users have been getting around this problem by running the Windows build + Wine but as we all know x86 emulators suck on the Pi.

Please do yourself a favour forget about Android on the Pi with working drivers, it's a bad idea and never going to happen given it's low tech old processor you're better off buying a dedicated Android Box TV i.e. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AndroidBoxTVT ... 1240845651

Richard S.

BoS

Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:41 am

DougieLawson wrote:Why do you keep flogging this dead horse? What does Android have that can't be done with one of the stock Linux distros that are known to work and are well used on the Raspberry Pi?
A fully working USB stack?? One can live in hope :-(

jamesh

Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:00 am

BoS wrote:
DougieLawson wrote:Why do you keep flogging this dead horse? What does Android have that can't be done with one of the stock Linux distros that are known to work and are well used on the Raspberry Pi?
Won't make any difference - the USB difficulties are at a lower level than the software stack. The HW in the chip itself is a bit pants, so a lot of effort is being expended sorting out the driver to get round the problem.

And of course, Android just uses the Linux USB software stack that it sits on.

BoS

Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:28 pm

jamesh wrote:
BoS wrote:
Won't make any difference - the USB difficulties are at a lower level than the software stack. The HW in the chip itself is a bit pants, so a lot of effort is being expended sorting out the driver to get round the problem.

And of course, Android just uses the Linux USB software stack that it sits on.
That's it, squash my only crumb of hope lol - my project is pretty much dead in the water now as isochronous transfers don't work and I can't get any estimate as to when they might.

BoS

jamesh

Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:17 am

I believe a new implementation of the USB driver is in development. No idea of schedule, or whether it will fix your particular issue.

moocow1452

Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:04 am

Does the unlocking of the GPU code make an Android port a lot more feasible?

Return to “Android”