aharonhakohen

Replacing car head unit

Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:32 am

Hi All -

I have searched this forum, and the internet in general, but have come up empty handed.

I am new to Pi, so perhaps there is a reason I cannot find information...

I would like to REPLACE my car's head unit with a Raspberry Pi running Android. I would add a digital to analog audio converter, a USB GPS, a fm tuner, camera, etc.

Am I missing something? Why can I not find even one person attempting the same thing? Most projects have been installing a Pi to an existing head unit, which I do not want to do.

The "cheap" Android head units out there are junk, and I do not want to spend hundreds (at least) of dollars.

Although I am new to Pi, I have experience with car audio, electronics, soldering, etc.

The project seems pretty straight-foward. I know I only gave the very basics, but does anyone have any ideas, comments, or insights? I am all ears...

Thanks!

thagrol

Re: Relacing car head unit

Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:54 am

aharonhakohen wrote:
I would like to REPLACE my car's head unit with a Raspberry Pi running Android. I would add a digital to analog audio converter, a USB GPS, a fm tuner, camera, etc.
Last time I checked there ia no version of android that runs on any Pi model. (Well android things but that isn't stock android)
Attempts to contact me outside of thes forums will be ignored unless signed in triplicate, sent in, sent back, queried, lost, found, subjected to public enquiry, lost again, and finally buried in soft peat for three months and recycled as firelighters

fruitoftheloom

Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:37 pm

aharonhakohen wrote:
Hi All -

I have searched this forum, and the internet in general, but have come up empty handed.

I am new to Pi, so perhaps there is a reason I cannot find information...

Am I missing something? Why can I not find even one person attempting the same thing? Most projects have been installing a Pi to an existing head unit, which I do not want to do.

The "cheap" Android head units out there are junk, and I do not want to spend hundreds (at least) of dollars.

Although I am new to Pi, I have experience with car audio, electronics, soldering, etc.

The project seems pretty straight-foward. I know I only gave the very basics, but does anyone have any ideas, comments, or insights? I am all ears...

Thanks!

Regards Android variants see:

viewtopic.php?f=73&t=217000

Android Auto open source variant OpenAuto:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/magpi/andro ... -openauto/

Please be aware you should approach the developers for support of whatever Android Solution you choose to implement..
Retired disgracefully.....
......to a more gentile life !

thagrol

Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:24 pm

thagrol wrote:
aharonhakohen wrote:
Last time I checked there ia no version of android that runs on any Pi model. (Well android things but that isn't stock android)
It seems things have changed. See MagPi issue 71: https://www.raspberrypi.org/magpi/
Attempts to contact me outside of thes forums will be ignored unless signed in triplicate, sent in, sent back, queried, lost, found, subjected to public enquiry, lost again, and finally buried in soft peat for three months and recycled as firelighters

fruitoftheloom

Re: Replacing car head unit

Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:01 pm

thagrol wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:24 pm
thagrol wrote:
aharonhakohen wrote:
It seems things have changed. See MagPi issue 71: https://www.raspberrypi.org/magpi/

Yes quite so, it was in the link I posted above which shows other Android AOSP / Things variants......
Retired disgracefully.....
......to a more gentile life !

KngArthr

Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:34 pm

Hello,

I am also looking into doing this. I would like to get rid of the original car stereo header unit completely and create one with a Raspberry Pi and a touchscreen. I have a 2002 Honda Accord. Some concerns I have so far are:

-Is there a way to connect the header unit wires to the Raspberry Pi?
-I'm assuming there is an adaptor to be able to plug it into the USB port?
-I have heard that stereo head units have amplifiers and equalizers built-in. Is there a way the Raspberry PI can act/mimic those?
-How will the Raspberry Pi know which sounds to send to the tweeters and which sounds to send to the bass speakers?
-Will I be able to use my steering wheel controls?
-Is there a way for Bluetooth connectivity?

Respectfully.
KngArthr

thagrol

Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:31 pm

KngArthr wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:34 pm
Hello,

I am also looking into doing this. I would like to get rid of the original car stereo header unit completely and create one with a Raspberry Pi and a touchscreen. I have a 2002 Honda Accord. Some concerns I have so far are:

-Is there a way to connect the header unit wires to the Raspberry Pi?
Do you mean plug the Pi into the car rather than the head unit you're removing into the Pi?
-I'm assuming there is an adaptor to be able to plug it into the USB port?
Nope. There's a bunch of analogue connections on the back of the head unit and, if you're lucky there'll be one ot the car's data buses present too. The ISO standard is here but check whether that appplies to your model: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Connectors_for_car_audio
-I have heard that stereo head units have amplifiers and equalizers built-in. Is there a way the Raspberry PI can act/mimic those?
Probably but it'll likely be easier to put a power amp between the Pi and the speakers. Try asking on a car audio specific forum.
-How will the Raspberry Pi know which sounds to send to the tweeters and which sounds to send to the bass speakers?
it won't , and I doubt that your head unit does either. Equally, I doubt that your car has seperate woofers, tweeters and midrange speakers. It's generally something taken care of in the speaker cabinet or by an external crossover circuit. Again car audio or audiophile websites and forums are probably the best palce to look.
-Will I be able to use my steering wheel controls?
Maybe. If you can safely interface your car's data bus to the Pi then identify and decode the necessary messages. Be careful with the hardware interfacing here. If you damage your car you could be in for some expensive bills.
-Is there a way for Bluetooth connectivity?
Possibly, it depends on what you want and which model Pi you're using. zeroW, zeroWH, 3A, 3B, 3A+, 3B+, and 4B have onboard bluetooth other Pi models don't.

Return to “Android”