Cromulent

Assembly / C IDE that can remote compile / debug / run

Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:49 pm

I was wondering if anyone knew of any good IDEs that work with assembly and C that can run on Windows 10 or Linux that enable you to write your programs on your main computer and then remote compile/debug/run via an SSH connection over the network on a Raspberry Pi 3 Model 3+?

It would be nicer to do that than SSH in and have to do everything on the command line with Vim or Emacs.

Schnoogle

Re: Assembly / C IDE that can remote compile / debug / run

Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:02 pm

Hi Cromulent,

weil Site this is possible to some extend. I’m running Windows 10 with eclipse for C/C++/Assembly
I’m using a cross compile toolchain tu directly compile on the windows machine. Than you are free how to transfer to your Pi.
When Linux is running on it you may choose ssh and can also configure eclipse to remotely debug on the pi.
When doing bare metal you may put your kernel onto an as card or build or reuse a small boot loader on the pi to transfer the new code using the serial UART interface. Depends on how experienced you are and what you want to achieve ;)

Debugging in bare metal is rather hard. It’s more of an “intelligent” placement of output written to the UART console which allows you to get a glimpse where an error may be located...

BR,
Schnoogle

ghans

Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:38 pm

Netbeans has a C/C++ add-on. Remote deploy and run seems to work so far. Haven't tested
debugging yet. I doubt you will find something for bare metal, but the solutions targetting Linux might be a starting point ?

Make and GCC have to be installed on the target for this.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

Cromulent

Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:56 pm

Thanks for the responses.

I guess I'll have to cross-compile and build on my Linux virtual machine and then SCP the files across. Not ideal but it should work.

I was hoping to avoid having to build a cross compiler as that seems to be a major pain. I'll look into Eclipse and Netbeans and see if I can figure something out with them.

Arjan

Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:08 pm

Cromulent wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:56 pm
I was hoping to avoid having to build a cross compiler as that seems to be a major pain.
I have a step-by-step instruction here -> http://www.raspberrypi-dmx.org/raspberr ... nvironment

However, you can also do a : apt install inutils-arm-none-eabi gcc-arm-none-eabi

There is nothing special needed for bare metal. I use Eclipse with CDT running on a NUC Linux box (this can also be a VMware image) . Then with X (Windows/Cygwin, Mac OSX) I start Eclipse remotely.

The Eclipse workspace is on NFS and shareable with Windows / Mac OSX. No need to do any SCP. Just put in the RPi SDCard in the Mac/Windows and copy the latest kernel.img to it. Alternatively, as suggested a bootloader with TFTP client or a UART protocol.

With a NFS mount on a Mac, you can also work with a local Eclipse.
http://www.raspberrypi-dmx.org/
Open Source DMX/RDM/MIDI/OSC/Art-Net/sACN solutions

Cromulent

Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:28 pm

I was looking around on the web for solutions that didn't require a cross-compiler and came across xrdp. I can now use the Windows 10 Remote Connection client to show the Raspberry Pi desktop, and I can use GVim from there, so that is a decent solution for the time being.

Of course, if I ever wanted to do any operating system level stuff, I'd need a more robust solution, but when it comes to just learning AArch64 assembly language, it looks like it will work quite nicely.

Return to “Bare metal, Assembly language”