Ron02

Re: Yet Another Bare Metal Tutorial for the RPi3

Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:39 am

Dear all,

I reviewed the Posts in this Forum, but I didn't find anything About Debugging the Pi from a IDE. The Arduino has a EDBG interface integrated so that a remote debugging from the host PC is feasible. Is there some opportunity for doing this with the Raspberry Pi as well or do I have to use the SD card even for bare metal programming?

Thanks in advance

Ron

bzt

Re: Yet Another Bare Metal Tutorial for the RPi3

Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:16 pm

Hi Ron,

As far as I see, you have the several options:
1. you can use raspbootin (I've rewritten it for 64 bit) to avoid SD card usage and boot your kernel over serial line
2. for debugging, you can compile in my mini-debugger and use that over serial line with any terminal emulator (even with rasbootcom)
3. most complicated, but most promosing for fully featured IDE itegration is to compile a gdb remote stub into you kernel. In theory gdbserver has a patch for AArch64, but honestly I haven't tried that. There's also a (not very helpful) description on ARM info center on how to use JTAG in virtual ethernet/tty mode with gdb.
4. if you are fine with a virtual environment, qemu has a built-in disassembler (-d int,in_asm) and built-in gdb server (-S -s) which you can use without modifying your kernel just out-of-the-box.

Cheers,
bzt

Return to “Bare metal, Assembly language”