Kapp3t

what are the multicore sync interrupts on pi-2?

Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:50 pm

According to the linux headers (see below), interrupts 12 to 15 are multicore sync 0-3. These interrupts are completely undocumented, can anyone tell me what they do?

https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux/bl ... platform.h

They seem to be related to the "local" interrupts (i.e. the 20 interrupts local to the core, not the 72 global interrupts that broadcomm calls gpu interrupts). But I can't find any other mentions of them in linux or anywhere else

DavidS

Re: what are the multicore sync interrupts on pi-2?

Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:07 pm

Good question, I would kind of be interested in the answer myself.

With my multi core play I have not been thinking about using inturupts to sync the CPU's in any way, just using traditional async multi core methods, with traditional locks for shared data/code.
RPi = The best ARM based RISC OS computer around
More than 95% of posts made from RISC OS on RPi 1B/1B+ computers. Most of the rest from RISC OS on RPi 2B/3B/3B+ computers

xihan94

Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:43 pm

Are you referring to Inter-Processor Interrupt <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inter-processor_interrupt>?

xihan94

Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:23 pm

DavidS wrote:Good question, I would kind of be interested in the answer myself.

With my multi core play I have not been thinking about using inturupts to sync the CPU's in any way, just using traditional async multi core methods, with traditional locks for shared data/code.
I'm still studying low-level stuff. But I think it may be useful when a core wants other cores to invalidate their cache.

DavidS

Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:41 pm

xihan94 wrote:
DavidS wrote:Good question, I would kind of be interested in the answer myself.

I'm still studying low-level stuff. But I think it may be useful when a core wants other cores to invalidate their cache.
Maybe, or maybe not.

Generaly shared memory is write through, unless the task performs better with cached mem for the small amount shared, despite the overhead of a cache flush.
RPi = The best ARM based RISC OS computer around
More than 95% of posts made from RISC OS on RPi 1B/1B+ computers. Most of the rest from RISC OS on RPi 2B/3B/3B+ computers

Ultibo

Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:15 am

Kapp3t wrote:interrupts 12 to 15 are multicore sync 0-3. These interrupts are completely undocumented, can anyone tell me what they do?
From the platform.h file these appear to be in the GPU interrupts and not in the ARM local interrupts so they are likely for the multiple cores in the GPU itself.

Code: Select all

#define INTERRUPT_MULTICORESYNC0       (ARM_IRQ1_BASE + 12)
#define INTERRUPT_MULTICORESYNC1       (ARM_IRQ1_BASE + 13)
#define INTERRUPT_MULTICORESYNC2       (ARM_IRQ1_BASE + 14)
#define INTERRUPT_MULTICORESYNC3       (ARM_IRQ1_BASE + 15)
These seem to have been listed since before the RPi2 so I don't think they are referring to the ARM cores.
Ultibo.org | Make something amazing
https://ultibo.org

Threads, multi-core, OpenGL, Camera, FAT, NTFS, TCP/IP, USB and more in 3MB with 2 second boot!

Return to “Bare metal, Assembly language”