summers

Linux 3.7

Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:06 pm

Havn't seem another post here, But sound like on the line for linux 3.7 is raspbery pi bits. Great lets make Rasbery pi open source.

I wonder, is this all the bits of raspery pi changes to the kernel, or just some. Know that changes to the kernel take a bit to get into the main line - so would be good to hear how many of the RPi changes are going main line? Does Dom know?

Anyway sounds great - lets see (or rather I wish all in broadcom all the best) if we (you) can open source all of the changes into the main kernel.

dom
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: Linux 3.7

Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:13 pm

It's very minimal. Just an interrupt controller, a timer, UART. Enough to boot to a serial console.
No framebuffer. No sdcard. No USB. No GPU.

But it's a good start.

summers

Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:28 pm

Thanks for making a start.

For me its great - like using open source stuff - and my RPi will start out as a uart booted OS, very simple.

Would be nice to see framebuffer OS, wish I could offer help, but time doesn't allow, and probably you would need me to sign up to NDA. But great you can let bits out.

Thumbs up from me!

dom

Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:46 pm

I've not had much to do with it. Check out this mailing list if you are interested in who's involved what the status is, and see just how much scrutiny each line of code gets:
http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/linux-rpi-kernel/

Return to “Linux Kernel”