lorddoskias

Yet another openmax transcoder

Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:59 pm

For the past 10 days I've been battling with setting up a transcoding pipeline on the raspberry pi. I have read the sources of omxtx (while it gives the general idea, the code is very unreadable). Hopefully it will be useful for people to get an idea of the sequence of events that have to happen and get a better idea of how things should function. Hopefully someone will find it useful: https://github.com/lorddoskias/omxtranscode

danversj

Re: Yet another openmax transcoder

Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:12 am

Hi lorddoskias

Do you think you could write a short "compiling omxtranscode for dummies"?

I've tried and failed at the first hurdle. I've read the README which mentions using the Makefile.include inside the /opt/vc/src/hello_pi dir, and the libraries and include file from the /opt/vc dirs. But I'm obviously not doing it right at all.

The following sequence of commands gives you an indication of my level of cluelessness:

Code: Select all

pi@raspberrypi ~ $ unzip omxtranscode-master.zip
Archive:  omxtranscode-master.zip
cf786f0c826650b5af97f9dacab66ab1d318d4a0
   creating: omxtranscode-master/
  inflating: omxtranscode-master/COPYING
  inflating: omxtranscode-master/README
   creating: omxtranscode-master/build/
   creating: omxtranscode-master/build/Debug/
   creating: omxtranscode-master/build/Debug/GNU-Linux-x86/
  inflating: omxtranscode-master/build/Debug/GNU-Linux-x86/packet_queue.o.d
  inflating: omxtranscode-master/demux.c
  inflating: omxtranscode-master/demux.h
  inflating: omxtranscode-master/encode.c
  inflating: omxtranscode-master/encode.h
  inflating: omxtranscode-master/list.h
  inflating: omxtranscode-master/main.c
  inflating: omxtranscode-master/mux.c
  inflating: omxtranscode-master/omx.c
  inflating: omxtranscode-master/omx.h
  inflating: omxtranscode-master/packet_queue.c
  inflating: omxtranscode-master/packet_queue.h
  inflating: omxtranscode-master/test.txt
  inflating: omxtranscode-master/video.c
  inflating: omxtranscode-master/video.h
pi@raspberrypi ~ $ cd omxtranscode-master/
pi@raspberrypi ~/omxtranscode-master $ cp /opt/vc/src/hello_pi/Makefile.include .
pi@raspberrypi ~/omxtranscode-master $ make
make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found.  Stop.
pi@raspberrypi ~/omxtranscode-master $ cp -r /opt/vc/* .
pi@raspberrypi ~/omxtranscode-master $ make
make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found.  Stop.

bbb

Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:16 pm

lorddoskias wrote:For the past 10 days I've been battling with setting up a transcoding pipeline on the raspberry pi. I have read the sources of omxtx (while it gives the general idea, the code is very unreadable). Hopefully it will be useful for people to get an idea of the sequence of events that have to happen and get a better idea of how things should function. Hopefully someone will find it useful: https://github.com/lorddoskias/omxtranscode
Been reviewing the code and it looks good, I like the lack of ilclient dependence. Taking a little time to get my head around the the pthread stuff - OpenMAX IL is quite an ugly API and omxtx is a bit hairy.

My current little side project, is looking into USB webcam / capture device support for the raspberry pi - might do a branch and see if I can add v4l support. I am not that impressed with results with USB capture devices - they all seem to have interlaced capture which looks *pants* (IMHO) - so I am currently switching focus to webcams with progressive capture support.

@lorddoskias are you still active and up for accepting pull requests?

lorddoskias

Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:52 am

Yes I'm active to the point where I can check for pull requests and accept them, though I'm no longer developing this version, since I have switched to using gstreamer + custom openmax (gst-omx) since libav doesn't support mpeg ts muxing. I'm also active on freenode (nick lorddoskias) if you'd like to chat.

Return to “OpenMAX”