brade

mouse cursor and video_render

Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:54 am

Hello guys,

I get a h264 video stream and play it with omxh264->video_render. It works fine and very smoothly, but I realized the mouse cursor disappear if I move cursor into video window. Is there any way to solve it or other way to get similar performance as video_render and cursor would not disappear? Thanks very much in advanced!

6by9
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: mouse cursor and video_render

Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:32 pm

No.
X has no concept of anything rendered by video_render.
X renders everything to the frame buffer which is on layer -127. By default video_render is set to render to layer 0. 0 being a higher number than -127 is rendered over the top of the mouse pointer with no transparency (that can be specified, but is not useful in this case).

To get the behaviour you want EVERYTHING has to be rendered via X, and that tends to be hideously inefficient.
Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi Trading. Views expressed are still personal views.
I'm not interested in doing contracts for bespoke functionality - please don't ask.

jamesh

Re: mouse cursor and video_render

Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:53 pm

One option, I wrote a patch for the frame buffer driver which uses a HW cursor. Because this is rendered by the GPU, it appears over things like video render layers.

No idea if it still works.

https://github.com/JamesH65/xf86-video-fbturbo

However, I cannot remember which branch is the latest one.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

Return to “OpenMAX”