ferg

Can OpenMax play and convert h.264 to a bitstream?

Sun May 15, 2016 5:23 am

Good afternoon,

I'm trying to find a general direction/solution to a small project I'm working on with my RPi 2B.

I want to open an h.264 video file and at the same time as playing the video, convert it into a real-time stream of bits/bytes. This seems like a challenge I know, but I'm hoping that it's possible in some way.

I've heard that OpenMax can do this, but wanted some advice from this forum. If not OpenMax, any other areas to look into?

Thanks,
Ferg

ferg

Re: Can OpenMax play and convert h.264 to a bitstream?

Mon May 16, 2016 9:26 am

Would FFMPEG be better suited for this??

I'm not asking anyone to do my homework, just to get some fast-track advice so I can do deeper research on something successful.

6by9
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Mon May 16, 2016 9:42 am

Some ambiguities in your request:

"an h.264 video file" - do you mean a raw H264 elementary stream (no standard extension, but typically .h264, or .264), or something muxed in a container (eg mp4, mkv, avi, etc).

"real-time stream of bits/bytes" - bits/bytes describing what? Just the raw elementary stream? If so that comes back to the question above of what the file contains.

OpenMAX will handle the decode for you. There are no container parsing components - omxplayer and the like rely on ffmpeg or libavcodec to do that.
Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi Trading. Views expressed are still personal views.
I'm not interested in doing contracts for bespoke functionality - please don't ask.

ferg

Mon May 16, 2016 12:03 pm

Thanks for your response. I still have quite a bit of research to cover!

At the moment, I'm looking for the simplest option and was thinking mkv as the container. So full audio and video at this stage and not an elementary stream.

The video file needs to be broken down to bits and passed to a GPIO (in essence) sent somewhere, received and reconstructed. Plenty of work to do!

Return to “OpenMAX”