tvsori

Hardware video encoder resolution/fps ?

Wed May 04, 2016 1:50 am

Hello,

I need realtime 720p h.264 usb cam encoding. For this I need hardware encoder.
I read on this forum several topics mentioned about OMX api for hardware encoder, but didn't find exact spec.
Could you point me which board could be used for my purpose and what maximum fps I could expect.
Also would be nice to read API documents & technical papers about.

Thanks
Last edited by tvsori on Wed May 04, 2016 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

topguy

Re: Hardware video encoder

Wed May 04, 2016 8:55 am

Browse the threads here.
viewforum.php?f=70

And/or report your own post so the moderators can move it to that part of the forum.

ghans

Wed May 04, 2016 9:53 am

• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

tvsori

Wed May 04, 2016 10:21 am

Thank you very much. I will try to report.

6by9
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: Hardware video encoder resolution/fps ?

Wed May 04, 2016 6:01 pm

Your main problem is likely to be that most usb webcams spit out their image data as yuv422 in yuyv mode. That is not widely supported on the Gpu as most stuff wants yuv420. Check first by using "v4l2-ctl --list-formats-ext" (install v4l-utils first if necessary) to list the formats it supports.

Whilst others are correct in pointing you at Openmax IL, there is an alternative in MMAL which was written due to the complexities of IL. There is a component under MMAL called vc.ril.isp that wraps the camera image sensor pipeline and will do format conversion and resizing from yuyv efficiently.
Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi Trading. Views expressed are still personal views.
I'm not interested in doing contracts for bespoke functionality - please don't ask.

Return to “OpenMAX”